Toribash
Originally Posted by Odlov View Post
Lately I've been thinking that "transhumanism" as a movement is superfluous and possibly even harmful to the very thing it stands for. The pace of discoveries and progress will stay the same regardless of whether there is a group of loud futurists preaching transcending our biology, but this talk can alarm and agitate people who are predisposed against it.

When it comes down to it, even a technophobe will get a pacemaker or [insert artificial part] if he sees it crucial to his well-being, and all the protesters out there are just running their mouth.

Am I wrong?

Not at all, you are completely correct.

We will make progress regardless of what people preach.

It is never wise to shout at someone who is afraid of death "YEAH YOU WILL DIE SOME DAY AND ITS COMING FASTER AND FASTER AND YOU CANT STOP IT".
In much the same way that it does not benefit 'transhumanists' to preach the coming of transcension when so many regard it fearfully and hatefully. It just isn't a smart thing to do, they should exercise restraint and patience.
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
Originally Posted by LastGod View Post
(they already built a robot that DOES learn on it's own, over in Japan).

Lol. You say this like it is some breaking news that recently occurred.; when in reality, this concept is an ongoing project, rather than the single break-through you make it out to be. The concept of "a learning robot" is totally of opinion. Google remembers your searches and gives the sites you visit direct- advertising bases on what you searched; is that learning? Is a stair-stepping robot that slowly figures out quicker ways to traverse it using simple mechanical memory... learning? You sound really mis-informed when you say something like that, dude.

There is no single i-robot-esque, walking, talking robot. And by i-robot, I mean the movie with Will Smith, =P
Hey. Sup