Toribash
Original Post
[Seminar]Transhumanism
Our 2nd topic thread!
Yay!

This one is about transhumanism, and is it the right way to go to further our species?
Or does it make us less human?

A few articles on this:
Transhumanism: Possible Effects
The Social Implications of Transhumanism

Begin! ^o^
Omnia Mori
sed Evici Amor
We have embraced this for thousands of years already. I don't see a reason to stop now.
Clothes, houses, medical attention, bracers, splints, joint reconstruction, hearing aids, glasses, contact lenses, calculators, abacus, the computer, the list goes on.

Our entire civilisation is essentially geared towards the ultimate goal of achiveing perfect transhumanism, ascension if you will.

We are humans, this is what we do.
If we didn't we would be just like animals. (Hell, even some animals work towards it...)
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
I am completely in support of transhumanism. Our bodies are incredibly defective. Cancer is a major killer, as is heart disease. Imagine replacing your heart with a mechanical pump when it was in danger. Imagine being able to replace organs at will when they failed. Imagine allowing the world's most brilliant scientists to live well past their natural lifespan. The accomplishments and the knowledge accumulation would be incredible. Humanity could be a lot better off.

But as with everything, Trashumanism has a downside. Altruism is not the most common human trait. Corruption, military force and elite agendas could quite easily turn the concept of Transhumanism into a nightmare. Dictators could live well past their natural lifespan. Soldiers could be equipped with inbuilt heavy body armour, making civilian resistance impossible if the agenda was authoritarian. The modifications might be made only available to the wealthy and the elite.

It's a great concept, but it has risks. I still think it's something to strive for as a species.
infamous
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Imagine allowing the world's most brilliant scientists to live well past their natural lifespan.

Then everyone would want that, but still have kids. Then this causes over population, which we can't cure by transhumanism.

Apart from that, transhumanism is something incredibly useful. As Gorman said, it has been applied for as long as we are using tools etc.
The reason most people start to think of it as unethical is probably because now, they are doing stuff like changing organs.

But think of it. Why would getting a new kidney be morally wrong and getting dialysis every time not? Or bypasses in the heart?
Thanks for the Avatar, MrAakash
Well overpopulation wouldn't be such a problem if we were mostly robot, we could easily live in inhospitable environments such as Mars or the moon.

Actually, come to think of it, the whole 'overpopulation' thing could spark more resources put towards new colonies. Which would be great!

Transhumanism has endless benefits, huzzah!
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
Another point I want to add is that it is essentially necessary for a society to embrace it unless it can prevent it globally through treaties and whatnot (yeah right!). If your population stays traditional while other countries are rapidly filling with smarter and stronger citizens, you will eventually be out of competition. Perish. Along with your obsolete values.
I think it makes us a little less human, but maybe I'm just being stubborn here.

Maybe we should look into evolution and genetic modification instead. Make some super-babies and stuff. That way, their genetics are put into the gene pool, and we become better as a species.

Well, I'm not against it though. Giving a person a pump instead of a heart it he/she needs it is an awesome idea. Same with robotic arms and legs. I think it's something that should be used as a last resort, not something we should implement into everybody's lives.

Why do I feel like I'm missing something?
Co-Leader of The Brotherhood of Steel
the future of toribash
Originally Posted by PlasmaNova View Post
I think it makes us a little less human, but maybe I'm just being stubborn here.

Maybe we should look into evolution and genetic modification instead. Make some super-babies and stuff. That way, their genetics are put into the gene pool, and we become better as a species.

Well, I'm not against it though. Giving a person a pump instead of a heart it he/she needs it is an awesome idea. Same with robotic arms and legs. I think it's something that should be used as a last resort, not something we should implement into everybody's lives.

It doesn't make us less human,we've been using such technology but in very basic form.Like that battery for the heart,my grandpa has one.It is a form of transhumanism.

Genetic modification is a good idea for solving genetic diseases and shit,but I can't see it helping our evolution.At least not at the same rate,transhumanism will give us.I want to be a genetic engineer in the future...so I'm really all for the idea too but for other objectives.
Originally Posted by PlasmaNova View Post

As Gorman said, it's not just about robot arms, but also about things like clothing, contact lenses and braces. So it hardly will make us less human. (Unless, and I assume not, you are against wearing clothes.)
Thanks for the Avatar, MrAakash
Transhumanism isnt really a bad thing right? We've been doing it for plenty of time with new medicine and such. With new dangers we have to combat them somehow, morally this isnt wrong. I see one downside though , like everything will have. We couldnt all have the things this brings in could we? Like the bigger and more expensive things, those who do have more power than the regular person in a way. So as long as we dont turn into immortals ( which hopefully no one makes it possible) then I dont see why we shouldnt advance more into the future.