Ranking
Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
So who needs a $2000 computer? A hobbiest who just wants more power, for fun. Someone who does some prettyfuckingheavy duty stuff, but even then its generally more beneficial to use a server. There is no real reason why someone would need a computer over $1000. (despite what the manufacturers say)

It's time like this when I love the things you say Gorman.

Mayo, you are kinda comparing two different luxeries. Check your paper for used bikes and fix one up. Build a cheap PC. Get both for a fraction of the cost and save the rest for when things go south with your monies, which they will.
Organisation of Awesome: Member.
Originally Posted by may0naise View Post

The comp was ~$1050. Got a great deal. Imo.
Results:

Hp tm2t:

It's a tablet pc. It flips all the way around, so the monitor is laying on the keyboard and facing up, like a tablet.

Specs:
1.Operating system: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
2.Processor and Graphics: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-380UM (1.33GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) + Intel(R) HD Graphics [HDMI, VGA]
3.Memory: 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
4.Hard drive: 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
5.Primary battery: Two 6 Cell Lithium Ion Batteries About 12 hours of life.
6.Display: 12.1" diagonal High Definition HP BrightView LED Touchscreen (1280 x 800)
7.Personalization: HP TrueVision Webcam and FingerPrint Reader
8.Networking: Intel Wireless-N Card

So, in your opinion, good/bad deal? I thought it was pretty good.

You got the best deal ever, whats the con, is it durable?

I'm pretty sure the speed is decent.

I don't know anything about graphics card. :v

A $2000 computer will NEVER pay off.

What is your career path?

Is it because the technology industry is booming?

/Ontopic

Buy a used motorcycle, but dont go cruising the roads, check out everything, and do a little test run around your block.

I wouldn't suggest building a motorcycle from top to bottom, it might cost you more then a new one.

Spend the rest on a good laptop, dont go overboard though.

GL.
Last edited by EmpireSlay; Jan 17, 2011 at 07:10 AM.
Rainbowdash
Call me lLlLlLlLl because I spit straight bars when i rap or call me $tr8B@rz
Originally Posted by Hippybob View Post
Get the computer because motorcycles are epic fail.

Read more then the first post.

Originally Posted by EmpireSlay View Post
You got the best deal ever, whats the con, is it durable?

I'm pretty sure the speed is decent.

I don't know anything about graphics card. :v

It's brand new. And I read that is actually quite durable. That the hinge it's on is actually quite strong.

None of them need especially powerful computers.

You will find that a $300-500 computer (laptop or desktop) will suffice.

Your university will have computers there that you can use, if you want to use a fancy one. You will never need a computer that is especially powerful.

What kind of computer does a programmer require? Doesn't need anything special, you can program on a shitty 5 year old laptop, and even use cloud computing to compile it off site (yes I do this)

What kind of computer does a graphic designer need? Obviously it needs to be fast enough to run CS5 (or whatever you use), so check out the min requirements. It won't be spectacular.

What kind of computer does a web developer need? Same as a programmer.

etc

So who needs a $2000 computer? A hobbiest who just wants more power, for fun. Someone who does some prettyfuckingheavy duty stuff, but even then its generally more beneficial to use a server. There is no real reason why someone would need a computer over $1000. (despite what the manufacturers say)

1. I am a hobbiest that wants more power =P.
2. If i do go into programming, it would eventually and hopefully lead more towards game programming/game design. Because I have always wanted to make games. And with most of the games the way they are nowadays, I would need a computer that can keep up with any game I would design.
There is no #3.

Want to try something completely new to the Toribash Forums? Try the 10 Push-up Challenge!

2. Trust me, it will be a long time before you make a game that requires high end specs. Besides, some of the best games in the worlds have low specs.
1. I would suggest a less expensive hobby :P Well assuming you are going to build it yourself and OC it, then you could probably still spend under 1000 and get high end performance. Even though I advise against it...
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
'
2. Trust me, it will be a long time before you make a game that requires high end specs. Besides, some of the best games in the worlds have low specs.
I know this haha, but everyone wants to dream.

1. I would suggest a less expensive hobby :P Well assuming you are going to build it yourself and OC it, then you could probably still spend under 1000 and get high end performance. Even though I advise against it...
I wanted to get a tablet, but I though, it's going to be annoying not being able to see exactly where my mouse is, I want a tablet with the screen built in. So I decided I wanted a tablet pc. And this was a great deal

Want to try something completely new to the Toribash Forums? Try the 10 Push-up Challenge!

A great deal yes, but its still $1000 :P

I mean, if a Lamborghini is on sale for only $100,000, its still $100,000 spent on a car that more or less does the same things as a $5000 car.

Know what I saiyan?
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
1. I am a hobbiest that wants more power =P.
2. If i do go into programming, it would eventually and hopefully lead more towards game programming/game design. Because I have always wanted to make games. And with most of the games the way they are nowadays, I would need a computer that can keep up with any game I would design.
There is no #3.

'If you want to use an easy start off game engine with game design, try out blender(modeling program) and unity3d(powerful game engine)
Just sayin if you want to go towards game design and stuff like that.
P.S. they are both free.:P
Last edited by darkspace; Jan 18, 2011 at 06:25 AM.
I'd like to a famous youtuber. =3
You like COD? --- >MONTAGE<
OGRE is good too.
A great deal yes, but its still $1000 :P

I mean, if a Lamborghini is on sale for only $100,000, its still $100,000 spent on a car that more or less does the same things as a $5000 car.

Know what I saiyan?

I do.
But I was giving myself a $2000 budget for either. So I think it was pretty worth it.

Originally Posted by darkspace View Post
'If you want to use an easy start off game engine with game design, try out blender(modeling program) and unity3d(powerful game engine)
Just sayin if you want to go towards game design and stuff like that.
P.S. they are both free.:P

I've used both before haha.
OGRE is good too.

Ill check it out, thanks.