Ranking
Original Post
[DSC] Gamerule Mods
So people have been making what I call gamerule mods lately. Mods that are essentially the same as other mods, such as classic, except they have differnt game rules.

For example, lenshu, wushu, and most official mods are gamerule mods.

However, I believe that these types of mods are a waste of time. Making a mod that is twinswords.tbm, with one extra line to set sambo gravity is a waste. It means that there is more stuff to download when you install, and we ALL have to go through more mods to find the one we want.

I know that it may be more convient, but saving 1 person ~15 seconds to set the gamerules is better than saving the 1000 or so other people everyday ~1 second, who go through the increasing long mod list to find the one they want.

Furthermore, there is a "custom game thread," in the game subforum. Go there if you want to post your game rules, for other to see and use. Almost everyone who has posted a "gamerule mod," does so without a pic. Then, Rayclovis and Fnugget have to go bug you to put one up there, even if its useless. I suggest you post it in the custom game thread instead.

Basicly, these mods are not necessary, they waste time, and there is even a seperate, designated area to post these. Why post them here? I believe that these type of mods should not be allowed to be posted in the mods subforum, and should not be approved for MP.

What do you think? please state your reasons.
- its been a while
Gamerule mods are okay, but there needs to be a lot more justification and play testing. It must be given a lot of reasoning and design decisions as well.
Generally, modes (gamerule mods) are fine with me if they've been given sufficient design, reasoning, and be unique enough to differ from other mods. (See romanwrestling.tbm vs aikido.tbm) If they're just simply a rehash or minor adjustments like silverwushu.tbm, it's not worth approving.
Originally Posted by blkk View Post
So people have been making what I call gamerule mods lately. Mods that are essentially the same as other mods, such as classic, except they have differnt game rules.

For example, lenshu, wushu, and most official mods are gamerule mods.

However, I believe that these types of mods are a waste of time. Making a mod that is twinswords.tbm, with one extra line to set sambo gravity is a waste. It means that there is more stuff to download when you install, and we ALL have to go through more mods to find the one we want.

I know that it may be more convient, but saving 1 person ~15 seconds to set the gamerules is better than saving the 1000 or so other people everyday ~1 second, who go through the increasing long mod list to find the one they want.

Furthermore, there is a "custom game thread," in the game subforum. Go there if you want to post your game rules, for other to see and use. Almost everyone who has posted a "gamerule mod," does so without a pic. Then, Rayclovis and Fnugget have to go bug you to put one up there, even if its useless. I suggest you post it in the custom game thread instead.

Basicly, these mods are not necessary, they waste time, and there is even a seperate, designated area to post these. Why post them here? I believe that these type of mods should not be allowed to be posted in the mods subforum, and should not be approved for MP.

What do you think? please state your reasons.

I think there should be a way to load gamerule mods then.. because instead of typing a bunch of command lines, all you have to do is type "/set mod x.tbm", one command line, when you get a gamerule mod approved and it loads up in a flash and you can play... I know there's a way to load mods from .txt files but it doesn't work for multiplayer... maybe have some file type like .grm (game rule mod) that will load the game rule commands from the file without having to have the file on everyone's PC, and then have the mod in the server just stay "classic".. It would still be better if like 3.5 it showed the gamerules before entering though.. because otherwise people would have to rely on the description of the server for the game type..
/set gr 0 0 -30
I recently came up with a new gamerule for aikido-DOA.tbm, to take advantage of bouncy walls to generate more momentum. Just by turning dm and frac off.
Then changed gravity. (plus a lot of other minor tweaks)
It takes me a LONG time to set it up, and I see this idea as being VERY useful.
But yeah, maybe just a way to save gamerules would suffice.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]