Toribash
Original Post
The Showcase — Revamp
Let's take a quick look at this thread: http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=362682

I've got to admit, I think it's an incredibly awesome concept. It was created specifically to recognize super awesome art created by super awesome people—that's pretty freaking awesome.

Unfortunately, the thread seems to have died off (more like it died soon after it was born), but I was wondering, why would something like this not exist within our community? It's something that simply makes players feel good about themselves; not only are artists receiving recognition for a totally awesome piece of art that they created, but they're being immortalized in a thread for everyone in the community to see for years to come. THAT, my friends, is called spreading joy within a community of friends and people, and THAT, my people, is called the widespread of positivity.

Presumably we'll need a select group of volunteers to participate in this selection of art—be it the current art moderators or a group of people selected by an application process—or we can just leave it to a voting process of the people of the community. It honestly doesn't matter.

But come on guys, this would be super freaking awesome to have back in the community. And who knows, maybe we'll see a booming art industry after bringing this back, eh?

Leave any comments and suggestions down below; I would be more than happy to add them onto the thread!

**NOTE: This thread was created to have staff involvement with the revamp. I realized after creating the thread, why not have a monthly competition hosted by the Event Squad team for people to produce the best textures/videos/freestyle art? They could then be immortalized in some Hall of Glory-like thread for people to glorify over their art. A pretty vague suggestion, sure, but there's more than one way to implement this back into the community. Let's see it happen!

List of awesome feedback from awesome people:

yay

Last edited by Creati0n; Mar 23, 2017 at 08:55 PM. Reason: made a list of super awesome feedback
Threads like that work when they're run by people hugely involved in Toribash art community (and, of course, are interested in keeping it up-to-date), I doubt that getting staff involved can make this happen sooner. You can't judge the art by a monthly competition because good artwork (or replays, or mods, or anything else) is not something that's produced on some fixed schedule. There can be nothing worthy for months, then there can be 10 outstanding works within a week. People may also not be aware / not care about the event, so any ES member running it would require to act as an art board mod and run through all threads to find any missing works to make proper judgement. And after all, ES can't even sustain a proper ingame activity level - with all respect to the current team, I doubt that they'll be able to keep this up for more than a few months at best.

The idea of reviving this is great though and I think we can provide some kind of rewards for people whose works get featured in such showcase, it just needs right people to manage.
Last edited by sir; Mar 19, 2017 at 08:01 PM.
YES YES YES BRING THIS BACK!!

If this gets brought back, I'd be 100% willing to be involved with it, maybe make people that want to manage this lmod, that way people can apply for the position to moderate it.

I know a couple people as well as myself that are hugely into toribash art, this would be a great thing imo

100% supported
you're on thin ice, pal
Originally Posted by sir View Post
Threads like that work when they're run by people hugely involved in Toribash art community (and, of course, are interested in keeping it up-to-date), I doubt that getting staff involved can make this happen sooner. You can't judge the art by a monthly competition because good artwork (or replays, or mods, or anything else) is not something that's produced on some fixed schedule. There can be nothing worthy for months, then there can be 10 outstanding works within a week. People may also not be aware / not care about the event, so any ES member running it would require to act as an art board mod and run through all threads to find any missing works to make proper judgement. And after all, ES can't even sustain a proper ingame activity level - with all respect to the current team, I doubt that they'll be able to keep this up for more than a few months at best.

Thanks for your opinion on this sir. However, do you think this outline may be more manageable?

Trimonthly — The Revamp:
  • The competition would initially be started at the beginning of, let's say, April 1st. After this, the thread would be open and partially moderated for the entire three months. After the three months are up, the thread would be closed on July 1st, and the next competition would be opened up that same day. This allows for the competition to be hosted four times a year.

Trimonthly — The Showcase

If anything, ES Artists could manage sifting through a few categories of art once every few months, and if not, I'm sure there are at least three to four artists who would love to volunteer for something like this.
Last edited by Creati0n; Mar 19, 2017 at 08:30 PM. Reason: added some additional rules.
Forgot to mention, there was already a monthly art competition hosted by the ES called Head Texture Of The Month, it was good while it lasted, but it eventually died out cuz there was some bad themes and people lost interest.
you're on thin ice, pal
While I'm talking with some of the artists now to see what we can make possible, I had another idea to supplement the thread: default custom folders.

We have a panel of replay makers tell us which replays should be the default loaded into the game to show off how cool the game is. Perhaps a certain a hall of fame of art/textures/objects to be put on display and encourage new users about how awesome you can customize.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
Or you have a designated team of the es, every player and especially the art lmods can send them suggestions about art they believe to be awesome that have been posted in the art board in the month before via pm .

The chosen es (could also be other people) go through said suggestions and filter the not so worthy ones out until they are at a reasonable amount and then a community wide poll i held. And the first two or so or anything that gets a certain amount of votes get showcased.

It would be a lot of work but it would be shared by a part of the community

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Find the hidden shovel and uncover the secrets of my religion.
-snip-

10:17 PM <~Creati0n> GAS THE DUELERS
6:35 PM <&Fear> good job reta you are now the King Admin
6:35 PM <Typhon> Gj Reta god

Thanks for the awesome suggestions you guys! I'll make sure to add them to the thread as soon as possible. (:
i would definitely be up for assisting with this in any way i can, since like all the time i spend on these forums is art related

i'm sure nagato wouldn't mind helping as well, so you got the art lmods on board
Ahhh fuckk!!3)it’s 2LIT . >>>>
I've spoken with Calamity and he too is interested in contributing to such a project. I'll speak with upper administration about ES funding.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!