Toribash
Original Post
Music to heal your soul
hey there.
i actually made some threads in the past but i abandoned them pretty quickly. now i'll make sure it won't happen anymore
i've been making drum & bass music since last year i'm not sure if anyone here listens to this stuff but i decided to post it anyway because why not.
i use fl studio 11 because i sticked to it for years and i'm most comfortable with it. also audacity for editing samples.

i focused on unconventional rhythm and low basses. i might also try to make some more friendly, lighter tunes. 3/4 of tracks are free, feel free to grab them.

https://soundcloud.com/offishmusic

some criticism would definitely help me.
Last edited by WorldEater; Feb 2, 2018 at 07:20 PM.
Originally Posted by WorldEater View Post

It's missing some compression on the kick, not sure if it's sidechained either.
The main growl that's playing through out the song is, intressting to say the least, I would like it to be a little bit more noticable tho, the snare kind of takes over a bit. It also feels a little empty in the higher spectrum, I would recommend putting something to layer the bass with.
I'm not sure what's happening anymore
Originally Posted by xXSJXx View Post
It's missing some compression on the kick, not sure if it's sidechained either.
The main growl that's playing through out the song is, intressting to say the least, I would like it to be a little bit more noticable tho, the snare kind of takes over a bit. It also feels a little empty in the higher spectrum, I would recommend putting something to layer the bass with.

noted. to be honest i hurried up track a little bit because i was frustrated on how the bassline took me too much time to make but i promised myself i won't do this anymore :s

and yeah, mixdown is my biggest nemesis and most of the time i won't notice any flaws. thank you for your feedback.
What program do you use? The mixing isn't too hard, the problem usually is mastering, a simpel master is to put a compressor on the master track and just leave it be, don't use a limiter tho. Just try to leave the Kick and Snare on the same volume level when they're togheter. and yeah, reese basses takes time, they have many many layers and they can be done in so many ways, I can't make them, I can't be botherd tbh.
i use fl studio. i keep kicks at -10db, same with snares but i layered 3 samples iirc and i might saturated one of them a little too much. next time i'll just render them as one sample. bass is -10 or -12, percussions on -16, hihats and shakers at -20db.

i make sure track peaks at -6 on master then i render it and tweak track in audacity. when it starts clipping i compress whole waveform but i could mess it up this time.
I recommend reading through before listening or looking at the track

They should always peak at 0, kicks and snares are also always 0. Basses, depends, a sub should peak at roughly -6ish and from there it's up to taste, my latest track

Song

It peaks at around 0 bc of the compressor I have on the master channel. The kick and snare are sidechaind to, well.. everything basically. I use a limiter as a sidechain, because it's faster and works the same. I do so that I link all of the tracks I want to only one chanel in what's called a bus, in this case a sidechain bus. like this where you can see that "line" at the bottom of the kick and snare channel going to the sidechain channel aswell as the master channel.

Here you can see all my synths (in this case serum) is also going to that channel but they're only going to that channel.

Here you can see how I set up the limiters to work as a sidechain (left is snare right is kick) you can also see where the kick and snare hits and the rest "ducks" (Purple is kick and snare whilst white is the rest of the input)

Here you can see the master channel and also my effects on it, an EQ aswell as the Fruity Compressor, the compressor is automated (The yellow automation line) all through out the song to make it so the drops sounds heavier when they hit. Meaning, the drops hits at 0db whilst the rest of the track is a little lower than that, not too much tho.

I hope this'll help out a little atleast, anymore questions, just send me a pm ;3