Toribash
I agree when people say about "transparency" ^ this is a small nice community, why things need to be so secret?Come on, stop gay <3

About Discord: Not everyone can/use it

And i think the game creator could be more interactive and active with his community. It is a big positive point. Being a developer is not an excuse to be a ghost...
Undead
Originally Posted by sir View Post
I don't remember any single user that got banned for calling out specific staff members for doing shit. Just please don't bring up examples of "I did a shady thing trying to abuse a loophole in rules and didn't get proper support".
inb4 Ele brings up the fact that he can't post here and it's unjust (spoiler: it really isn't when you consider how many times he was warned and how much of a nuisance he was to staff in general).

Show me where I shitposted in Off-Topic? I didn't. The reason I was banned was because you improperly handled my staff complaint and I wouldn't go away.

My discussion thread was deleted without me being contacted - It is standard practice that when a thread is deleted in Discussion that person is told why. This could have been solved by a simple admission that staff fucked up here (namely Icky) but instead, Icky flat out refused to apologise and YOU flat out tell me to fuck off.

So it was a legit complaint and yes, it WASN'T handled properly at all. You let your personal feelings about me get in the way of being a decent, upstanding staffer, and you rage-removed my access to NOT ONLY Staff-Complaints, but the entire Help and General sections. How incredibly petty of you.

Originally Posted by sir View Post
If you can't defend your opinion with proper points and just keep reiterating same exact thing after being told that it isn't possible to be done / is just wrong - well yeah, there will be a point where we'd go "fuck it" and just stop caring about whatever you're going to say next.

Defend my opinion with proper points? Explain to me how I wasn't wronged when my discussion thread was deleted without me receiving any notification. Explain to me also, how when that Staff Complaint thread was closed by A RANDOM HELP SQUAD MEMBER, I was wrong in posting another staff complaint thread?

Twice I was wronged and at all stages in this process I was refused an apology. So go on, explain to me how I wasn't wronged... I'd like to hear your 'proper points'.

You're so incredibly biased against me that you cannot accept any issue I raise as legitimate. You're the one that can't defend your opinion with proper points - Your only defence is your administrator tools. Weak.
Last edited by notEle; Jun 8, 2018 at 04:18 AM.
fight the power ele yeah ooraah
Originally Posted by notEle View Post
You clearly didn't suck them well enough. I see the point your making but I just think you're flat-out wrong. It's all about schmoozing the right people. You wanna be smod? Make friends with other smods, make friends with the admins. Join whatever IRC/discord/chat server that some of these people frequent and stay there. Stay quiet (don't cause any fuss) when appropriate, type 'lol' when appropriate. Obviously, if you're the dullest tool in the shed then you won't get smod regardless of how much schmoozing you do. But if you're even half-way competent, you can reasonably expect to gain the position you want if you've schmoozed successfully. If you've ingratiated yourself, you will get what you want.

hell yeah worked for me high five o/

Originally Posted by notEle View Post
Would any other admin/admin+, past or present, care to comment on this topic? Are we happy about the creator of this game and his actions (or lack thereof)?

hampa doing his own thing was always super annoying. he'd do stuff without telling anyone, leaving you to wonder what the hell was going on. unbanning terrible users without telling rest of the staff was my favorite. we definitely could've lived without it happening but you just came to accept that shit as time went on. hampa gonna hampa
QUACK
row row fight the powa

im kinda surprised the game is still kicking tbh
Hoss.
Well, we're partly alive anyways. I'd download it again if I were you. There's a lot of nice improvements since around 2016, you might enjoy checking them out
hi i'm karbn and i eat ass; love the market overlord
eek, this thread has been a wild ride and an absolute clusterfuck

i don't lean too far on the whole "staff bad, they kill game" shenaniganza. they're people doing their jobs. if there's anything i've learned, considering i'm not the teen that i was when i first played this game, is that some people suck at their jobs. and that's okay: mistakes are to be learned from and improved upon. i haven't the simplest clue of why this thread went on an entire tangent of whining and complaining about staff when it could have been simplified and left at "hampa's taking too long" because, well... that's just it. i've lost count of how many unpleasant interactions i've had with staff members but... it never really mattered much to me because, realistically, a) i was a really dumb kid, and now i'm a dumb adult (lol) and b) they're just people. people don't always like each other, but that doesn't mean they have to be your enemy. there was a customer back i was a barista named phyllis, she was an absolute bitch, but it'd do me no good to have a vendetta for her just because she was an unpleasant person. i just gotta give her her coffee, go about my day, and hope that she'll be less of a bitch, or talk about it to a higher up (my manager) to see what he could do if she really got out of hand. which she didn't.

it's already been beaten into the ground over and over again but i honestly can't say it enough:

this game is going be dead for as long as it is what it is. you log on, you play with one player or wait while others play, and and try your DAMNEST to figure out something fun to do. aikido, wushu, mushu, events with unique (or, you know, not unique) mods, sparring, whatever tickles your fancy!

TBN is exactly what Toribash needs: a good, proper re-work. The fact that such a project was even announced is... well, a blessing to me! a year a go i woulda hated myself for saying this, but i love this game. it's unique and i had a lot of fun playing it! but i recall trying to share that fun with a lot of friends, and it just didn't click well with them so... bring on TBN, for a new approach! hampa's still got this game in his thoughts but, as far as i'm concerned, his dev team really ain't that big so it's going to take some time and work before we get it.

we can either wait patiently or... scatter about as many of my old friends have. i just want this game to have the touch of fun it once had for me: before replay making. before texturing, sparring, ORMO, editing perfect, all that shit that was around and added some... elitist tendencies.

maybe when TB Next comes around, my old buds will drop by and we can explore the fresh update to a game that we happily allowed to consume our lives when we were younger

tl;dr the fall of toribash, as we know it, was lack of significant change. Next is that change. All we have to do is wait, friends.
if it comes around, have a blast and enjoy a fresh new wave of a game we think is fuckin' rad
if it don't, oh well there are other video games out there to consume our time

for the current staff, thanks for most of you being less ass-hatty than in the past. with that power, i figure you gotta be role models, so being as childish as the player base (such as my self) is no good for ya
Last edited by Marrez; Sep 12, 2018 at 01:14 PM.
beware
the goblin
To address staff argument that everyone is bringing up:

The thing is, while Toribash staff is very inefficient, there are obvious reason why that is, and those hint to the fact that it was never meant to be a serious position.

To begin with, standards of staff recruitment are set by other staff, which turns it into a circle jerk of like-minded people. Even for higher roles like Smod or Admin, it's not about how efficient or good you are at your duties, it's how well you can manipulate other staff into admiring you.

Game devs like Sir are obviously devs, not public relations managers, so they can be as opinionated and biased as they want, but somehow devs are at the top of the pyramid which means there is no one at any level of staff that would care the slightest about positive image or professional attitude.

Of course this also derives from the fact that no one is getting paid for moderation of any kind (except for Sir to some extent) so not one person has anything to lose in the first place. It all leads to Hampa being incompetent at managing his own staff. As an indie developer you are expected to either be involved with the community or hire people to do it for you and monitor them. He's doing neither, so while you can point fingers at staff, the person to blame for creating this circle jerk and those people getting staff positions is none other than Hampa himself.
Last edited by Smaguris; Sep 12, 2018 at 10:02 PM.
I upvote this thread.
-----
Good point. I wonder why did they choose to rely so strongly on forums tho. I'll use this argument in my own similar thread soon.

Originally Posted by Smaguris View Post

Game devs like Sir are obviously devs, not public relations managers, so they can be as opinionated and biased as they want, but somehow devs are at the top of the pyramid which means there is no one at any level of staff that would care the slightest about positive image or professional attitude.

Of course this also derives from the fact that no one is getting paid for moderation of any kind (except for Sir to some extent) so not one person has anything to lose in the first place. It all leads to Hampa being incompetent at managing his own staff. As an indie developer you are expected to either be involved with the community or hire people to do it for you and monitor them. He's doing neither, so while you can point fingers at staff, the person to blame for creating this circle jerk and those people getting staff positions is none other than Hampa himself.

Last edited by Szszymon14; Nov 1, 2018 at 04:37 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
"Be polite. Be efficient. Have plan to kill everyone you need."