Toribash
Original Post
Desktop PC Case Fan Issues
Hey guys.

Ive got an issue where my case fans mounted on the front of my pc tower no longer work. If I turn them on, the leds mounted in the fan light up but the fan will not spin. There is also a spft whining noise coming from the center of the fans when they are on.

Not quite sure if I should replace them or what to do. Obviously they are getting some power. Could the issue be that the power supply is not powerful enough for them? Everything else works fine, including the other 2 fans on the top and rear of the case.

PC is a prebuilt and has not been upgraded at all. Fans worked for over a year but stopped working in the past few weeks.
Read the Market Rules
In #Support: [19:53] <@firebolty> StileCheat: Did you try this?: would you lick onima's pussy clean for 10,000 dollars
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Try unplugging some other fans and powering it on, try swapping cables and see if the fans work (both to test if the cable is ok with a working fan, and to see if the fan is ok with a working cable).

Not sure exactly what kind of failure might cause that, sounds like the motor has been detached from the fan, but I'm not really sure. Maybe build up of dust or heat or something else, or could just be the cable/psu.

Post results from above test, might just have to buy a new fan in the end.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Well i connected the fans to a connector directly on the mobo and they both turned on and spun with no issues. Seems to either be an issue with the wiring connecting them to the fan control board in the top of the front panel or the wiring going from the board to the psu.

I guess the bright side is that the fans do work. Maybe if I get a modular psu I can get some cables that directly connect to these fans so I can just bypass the control board if that is possible.

Thanks

edit: The case is a piece of shit anyway. I had to take a hacksaw to the back of it to remove a metal bar that blocked the hdmi port on the graphics card. Thats how they shipped it as a prebuilt too. Not just because of certain customization options. I do not recommend it to anyone.
Last edited by Gum; Jul 9, 2015 at 05:48 PM.
Read the Market Rules
In #Support: [19:53] <@firebolty> StileCheat: Did you try this?: would you lick onima's pussy clean for 10,000 dollars
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
What I do is just leave one side of my case open and have a small fan blow on it from the outside. That way you don't have to worry about cooling
I couldn't think of a signature so i just put this here.
Originally Posted by XNomadic View Post
What I do is just leave one side of my case open and have a small fan blow on it from the outside. That way you don't have to worry about cooling

This is so wrong in so many ways. Rip airflow.
Got any problems or questions about computers or any other tech?Feel free to PM me any time. Lmod for Computer/Mobile Chat
That's what you have to do in a server farm if fans fail. Albeit farms have hot/cold aisle so it's a bit different.
There is a big difference between server farms and Closed ATX/ITX systems. Server rooms are open racks that which are some meters high in a vast hall full of it. They are equipped with one SoC, about 8HDDs and a low energy cpu. they consume about 300W of power. I don't know actual numbers but I assume they reach a temperature of ~60°c max. Not much, some GPU fans don't even start spinning at these numbers. Storage servers don't even use a dedicated GPU. Just get a 24/7 air conditioning system and you're fine.

Now an ATX system is compact in a closed case and consumes much more power. They need a direct airflow system to pull fresh air and extract used air constantly. Now if you put a fan next to it that just whirls around the used air inside the case, making it not unable but much harder for the system to get that used air out. Resulting in higher temperatures and shortening the lifespan of your components. It is not a big deal if in a server farm some systems die, but if your one and only pc dies this is gonna be a big hastle.
Got any problems or questions about computers or any other tech?Feel free to PM me any time. Lmod for Computer/Mobile Chat
Try checking to see if theres any faults or ust inside the adapters to connect it to the mother board/ fan board.
I've had that issue in my first pc and it took forever to figure out the problem.
Originally Posted by Mongius View Post
There is a big difference between server farms and Closed ATX/ITX systems. Server rooms are open racks that which are some meters high in a vast hall full of it. They are equipped with one SoC, about 8HDDs and a low energy cpu. they consume about 300W of power. I don't know actual numbers but I assume they reach a temperature of ~60°c max. Not much, some GPU fans don't even start spinning at these numbers. Storage servers don't even use a dedicated GPU. Just get a 24/7 air conditioning system and you're fine.

Now an ATX system is compact in a closed case and consumes much more power. They need a direct airflow system to pull fresh air and extract used air constantly. Now if you put a fan next to it that just whirls around the used air inside the case, making it not unable but much harder for the system to get that used air out. Resulting in higher temperatures and shortening the lifespan of your components. It is not a big deal if in a server farm some systems die, but if your one and only pc dies this is gonna be a big hastle.

Not sure what farms you work on, but in my experience that's not really true.

Servers come in a variety of form factors, yes some are ATX/ITX but many (if not the majority) are other form factors such as blades, special 1RUs, etc. Some might be SoC but again, it depends, many aren't. The number of HDDs varies too, some have none, some have upwards of 20. Power usage varies just as much, from 100W or less upto 2000W on some larger systems, not to mention blade chassis which might use even more (I've seen some big render farms too, now idea how much power a box with 8 quadros draws, but probably not a small number).

In my experience many farms are kept farrrr below 60c (a certain server once reached 50c and it was not a good situation). I would say that they are closer to 10-20c, I've always felt the need for a jumper when working for any length of time - and a pair of earplugs/muffs too, the vast majority of servers I've worked on have had very high cfm fans, on the little baby 1RUs and blades this means 80mm or smaller fans pumping upwards of 150cfm, they are very loud. Airconditioning is required 100% of the time, but that's in addition to the servers' fans. Additionally on closed systems aircon is ducted right into the roof of the case, where as open systems will use hot/cold aisle.

If it's a particularly hot day or there's aircon/server fan troubles then a big blower will be pointed directly into the server. The kinds of blowers I'm talking about are like this;

Typically we would connect the intake to a duct, then point the blower directly into the affected server.

In farms I worked in, it would be a huge deal if any system failed. All of them were fenced and had failover setup, but any single server might cost well over $100,000. It's not something you can casually lose. Even losing a disc in an array is horrifying tbh.

In a consumer case you can definitely use a large fan pointed directly into the case to create high static pressure, air will naturally flow out any available hole, the situation you describe where you have air circulating within the case is much less likely to happen if you are using an outside fan. Right now I'm actually using 1 HSF with 120/82 push/pull in a packard bell case (15-20 years old iirc) - no exhaust fan or intake fan. There is no static pressure within the case, only on the hsf. A setup like this does not perform as well as having static pressure in the entirity of the case, but even it performs fine.