Toribash
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
They may be awkward shapes but there is no right or wrong way to create an abstract piece of art. It irritates me so much when someone says there is a right or wrong way to create a piece of art. Of course there are different skill levels and ways to improve but there is no wrong way to do something, that defeats the purpose of what art is.

Still, I do agree with wounder on the point that your textures follow one another closely and would be refreshing if you changed it up a bit.

im saying he does it wrong.
Not at my computer right now but I think you still need to look at the polar coordinates while you are designing the head initially. Your shapes are fighting with the shape of the sphere.
Everyone seems to be going pretty savage over this.

I agree with chillz on the part of shapes fighting with the sphere.
Its a weird mismatch of curves, straight lines and angles that dont line up.

Youve already pointed out the top corner bits, lots to figure out there.

The visor is obviously the focus, but the straight diagonal lines next to it, which should pull your eye in towards the visor, are pulling my eye the opposite direction.
Partly because they conflict with the curve of the visor, and partly because they lead right into the black holes, which are darker than the visor is bright.
If the holes werent black, but a darker grey, or if the black bits had some sort of linking element, it might have worked.
And likewise with the lines, had the diagonals been higher up, they would have dragged your eye downwards, towards the focus.
Had you used a matching cuve instead, it would have had the same effect, they merge. (Although depending on how you apply the lighting, you could also split focus intentionally, if you wanted to. straight lines are uniform, curves, well, curve.)
But because the diagonals are under the curve, they conflict, my eye is drawn up and away instead, the focus is split.
Its about flow.

They may be awkward shapes but there is no right or wrong way to create an abstract piece of art. It irritates me so much when someone says there is a right or wrong way to create a piece of art.

If it was abstract, then sure, you can justify most things.
But its not abstract.
There are practised ways of doing things.
Deviating from the way things are usually done is a matter of ability.
If your ability can justify the deviation, if the deviation improves the piece, then cool.
But if not...

Using this piece as an example, my paragraph above, about the visor, the straight lines and the black holes.
had he changed some things, it might have worked.
matching straight lines and curves is a challenge, which is why the general rule is to not mix and match. It wasnt about him not doing things the "correct" way, it was about doing it in a way that worked.

but there is no wrong way to do something, that defeats the purpose of what art is.

There are most definitely wrong ways of doing things.
You can justify alot of things, but there are alot of things that you cant.
Last edited by BenDover; Dec 14, 2017 at 11:26 AM.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
hello there
As a spectator, I find it beautiful the attention and patience given here. As an artist as well, I ought to share my thoughts about this Veoo's recent head.
I'd like to make it clear that, well, I have come a bit too late. Most of the crucial advises were already pointed out.
I agree with 13chillz: any big shape gets distorted by its canvas (the sphere). Thus, you must think twice and fix any potential distortion in its initial stages, where things are easier to modify.
Same with what BenDover said: don't mess with the head's flow. Even if you were unaware of it until he pointed out, we unconsciousness lead our strokes towards our focal point as we draw near it.
Seeing how you want this concept to come out, you must use lines and curves cleverly. Indeed, they're essential to shape your organic-robot-thinghy into a head. Gentle, long curved strokes means a slow ride through its shape, helping making an organic sense, whereas straight strokes adds up to fast eye movement, creating a sense of a hard surface. As opposite features, you get into a new concept to take awareness of: the balance. Rather than filling blank space with those metal lands, use them to carry the viewer's eyes choreographically throughout your art.
Again, I just emphasized some art concepts already spoken. There's not much to Cnc due to the fact that it's in its initial stages of development.

It irritates me so much when someone says there is a right or wrong way to create a piece of art. Of course there are different skill levels and ways to improve but there is no wrong way to do something, that defeats the purpose of what art is.

Indeed, there's not a correct way to develop a piece of art. There are many different processes of creating it and so everyone must find their own, mixing and lending them or even by scratch, defining their style. However, we aren't talking about the way someone do something. It's about how something looks while the creative process is going, specifically. For instance, it's not you who defines a drawing as "realistic", but rather the drawing itself. "Realism" is a predefined aesthetics, therefore it has rules and laws in which someone must necessarily achieve for the drawing to match this style. Our duty is to guide him towards this goal, presenting him to the techniques and concepts within that style, where he should be able to continue by himself. All in all, the amount of paths to achieve an aesthetic is limited, but not one-way.
-----
lol, while I was writing I forgot to post a project of mine

space migrator ciely

Still at its early stage. Going for a semi-realistic manga, color-explosion style.
Last edited by cappuccino; Dec 14, 2017 at 03:50 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

If it was abstract, then sure, you can justify most things.
But its not abstract.
There are practised ways of doing things.
Deviating from the way things are usually done is a matter of ability.
If your ability can justify the deviation, if the deviation improves the piece, then cool.
But if not...

Using this piece as an example, my paragraph above, about the visor, the straight lines and the black holes.
had he changed some things, it might have worked.
matching straight lines and curves is a challenge, which is why the general rule is to not mix and match. It wasnt about him not doing things the "correct" way, it was about doing it in a way that worked.

There are most definitely wrong ways of doing things.
You can justify alot of things, but there are alot of things that you cant.

Okay, I agree with all this for the most part. But of course there are things you can do wrong like drawing a triangle and calling it a circle, that is obvious, but that is not how I meant. It is more of art should not be a place littered with rules and regulations, we have enough of that already. Art (from my understanding) is for the existence over essence and not wanting to become essence at all because we have that indefinite freedom and art is one of the easiest ways to express ourselves with out breaking any of those rules that we have (ex. murder because it makes you smile)

You cant say flat out that "youre doing it wrong" because only that person knows, on top of that just saying that does not help. You can definitely say that this is a better way of doing what you are doing. But if youre going to just say they are doing something wrong and not explain it then there is no point to the comment.
-----
Maybe my misconception in this discussion is that he is going for realism and not a more abstract route?
-----
I was not arguing from the perspective that his art was done in a way that worked(More experienced artist have made that clear), Im arguing that the one phrased used to critique him does not help him but gives off the idea that there are strict paths to follow emphasis on strict as there are paths to follow. A circle can not be a triangle but a blue faced man can be highlighted by a green light with a pink global illumination
Last edited by Micah; Dec 14, 2017 at 04:02 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
lol, while I was writing I forgot to post a project of mine

space migrator ciely

Still at its early stage. Going for a semi-realistic manga, color-explosion style.

nice start,
As you are saying you are going semi-realistic I guess you will do a semi-realistic coloring, I confuse the sketch with abstract at this stage.
Your sketch is not defined, by considering your standard it will be fine, you do mouse painting, it is hard to define by the mouse.

it is hard to understand what is your idea, if it is your head sketch on the left, I can say your face features placement is improving, just dont miss the mapping of the head.
Again, nice start and wish to see the finished piece, you always do amazing.
cappuccino, cool.

I have no clue what semi-realistic manga color-explosion style is, but uh . . . good luck on the glass.

also, I am pretty sure you are going to need a much larger mouth. I think the eyes might be too narrow. and too low . . .

GG
Meh. I think I need to quit toribash for a bit.
Originally Posted by dengue View Post
nice start,
As you are saying you are going semi-realistic I guess you will do a semi-realistic coloring, I confuse the sketch with abstract at this stage.
Your sketch is not defined, by considering your standard it will be fine, you do mouse painting, it is hard to define by the mouse.

it is hard to understand what is your idea, if it is your head sketch on the left, I can say your face features placement is improving, just dont miss the mapping of the head.
Again, nice start and wish to see the finished piece, you always do amazing.

Absolutely correct! As I said, it's in its early stages. I'll fix all the beginning mapping issues and in the meanwhile, the concept will get fully developed. I always like to make everything clear before I start actually drawing. This means that I have reasons, ideas and inspirations prior to the painting process.

Originally Posted by Yuma View Post
cappuccino, cool.

I have no clue what semi-realistic manga color-explosion style is, but uh . . . good luck on the glass.

also, I am pretty sure you are going to need a much larger mouth. I think the eyes might be too narrow. and too low . . .

GG

Kinda like this:

https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust....st_id=50255662
I won't replicate the style, though. My main objective in this creative process is to tame and balance plenty of colors into actual shading. Although I had some experience painting colorful special effects in tags, I still have much to learn about them.
Regarding the face features, I'm still dealing with them. As an anime fan, I can't avoid the fact that I draw using loli proportions. Smh
bruh Im in the middle of finals and you guys wrote me fucking essays worth of cnc. thanks lol... damn, its gonna take me a while to process!
Cappucc that head could end up sick as fuck... no rush but hurry I wanna see more wips