ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Selling multiple of the same texture
We've all seen Chillz's Santa hat floating around. It's reminded me of a thought I've had ever since I started selling textures on here. In real life marketing, a company mass produces items and sells many of near identical copies. But in Toribash, everyone sells one of everything. I get the fact that you want to be unique, but I think there's a market for this.

I'm not so far removed from my humble beginnings that I forget the struggle of earning TC when you first start playing the game. I think the staff understands too, as they've lowered the price of the head texture item. My point here is this: if I could design a texture, and sell multiple copies of it, then I could lower the price of it allowing players with less TC to be able to afford it.

I assume you're following me this far, but what's the point in this thread?

B) Do not sell variations of the same texture to multiple users in any circumstance, re-colors or minor edits do not constitute a new texture.

Well of course I read the rules. What I'm proposing here is not selling minor edits as unique pieces, I want to sell multiple copies of the same texture. Obviously I would advertise as just that, I wouldn't want to mislead someone to think that it was unique. So, would I be allowed to sell a texture to multiple users as long as they know full well that they're not the only ones who own it? In real life, that never stops people from buying stuff. Does the fact that every kid and his dog wears Vans stop people from buying a pair for themselves? No. But if all Vans were unique and cost thousands of dollars, people might not feel so inclined to buy them anymore.

I can see how this might cause some problems, specifically with this is people buying a copy, and reselling multiple of it. I'd keep records of who I've sold copies to, and report any unlicensed owners.

Now, understand that I'm not doing this just for personal benefit. I honestly want to make higher quality textures affordable for all players.

Why can't you do that already? If you really cared, sell your textures for cheaper

If I lower my texture prices people will buy it only to turn around and mark it up.
We need to strengthen our roots and bloom the inner flowers that represent our minds. We are not beasts. Not savages, but men.- PeaceKeeper62
Initially there would be no problem with selling one texture to multiple users, if they were aware that you were doing just that. However, once the texture(s) flow out into the mainstream market, we can not assure that everyone will be as 'straight up' as you might be, when re-selling the texture(s).

Because of this, we do not allow the selling of "variations of the same texture to multiple users in any circumstance". If you wish to give people access to a 'free' texture (as 13chillz has done), then that is fine. If you wish to give away textures or sell them at a minimal price, then that is fine also.