Ranking
Original Post
Slow Pc? Read This.
Before I start this tutorial I would like to say that this is what I do when my computer is going slow. It may not necessarily be the best or most effective way but it works for me. After completing this tutorial I also recommend updating your drivers.

Following this tutorial will take a long time and is not really a regular routine. I just do this every few months/ If I think my pc is going slower than normal to ensure I have no infections and to keep my pc going strong..

If you have things you want to add to this tutorial feel free to post it.

This Is mainly based around computer infection such as viruses and cleaning out unneeded files that are clogging up your computer. I will also cover startup programs that hog system resources.
To me these are the most common things that slow down my computer.

If at any stage through any of these stages you are recommended to restart. Do so.

Virus Checks:

These should be done first. No point cleaning up if you have something that's just going to make a mess again.
Note: Virus scans can take a long time. I recommend you start a scan, leave the computer for a while and come back later or you could do the scan overnight.

Common things that slow your computer down are viruses. There are loads of viruses out there and some of them are undetected by some anti-viruses. To get a thorough scan I recommend you scan with the following scanners:

Super Anti Spyware:
http://www.superantispyware.com/down...NTISPYWAREFREE
  • Download the program and install it.
  • Load the program then click check for updates.
  • Click perform full scan, then click scan when it's finished it will list all the viruses it has found.
  • Make sure that they all have a check next to them and press next, then click finish to go back to the main screen.

Malwarebytes AntiMalware:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
  • Download and install, make sure check for updates is selected.
  • Load the program and click perform full scan, then click scan.
  • When it has finished, click ok then click show results. Make sure all the detected things have a check next to them then press remove selected.

Eset Online Scanner:
http://www.eset.eu/eset-online-scanner
Note: You will need to use internet explorer for this scan.
  • Tick the box next to Yes, I accept the terms of use.
  • Click Start, When asked, allow the ActiveX control to install.
  • Make sure that the options Remove found threats and the Scan unwanted applications option is checked.
  • Click Scan and wait for the scan to finish.

Cleaning Pc and Pc Optimization:

CCleaner:

Note: Make sure you know all your website passwords as CCleaner may clear the cookies saved for these websites.

To make CCleaner keep cookies you can do this:

Go into options then cookies and click on a cookie then move it to the right hand side to keep it. If this is your first clean with CCleaner their will be a lot of cookies.

CCleaner is a great cleaning tool which cleans loads of unneeded junk off your pc. I have seen it clean as much as 4GB of junk off peoples computers.

What does CCleaner Clean?

Internet Explorer
Temporary files, history, cookies, Autocomplete form history, index.dat.

Firefox
Temporary files, history, cookies, download history, form history.

Google Chrome
Temporary files, history, cookies, download history, form history.

Opera
Temporary files, history, cookies.

Safari
Temporary files, history, cookies, form history.

Windows
Recycle Bin, Recent Documents, Temporary files and Log files.

Registry Cleaner
Advanced features to remove unused and old registry entries

I recommend regular use of CCleaner (I use it at the end of every day) It takes seconds to use and is a great tool.

How to use CCleaner:
Note: Download button is in top right hand corner.
  • Install CCleaner and load the program.
  • Go to the bottom right hand corner and click run.
  • Click ok when the box pops up.
  • When it has finished click on Registry down the side.
  • Click scan at the bottom and when it finishes click fix selected problems.
  • When it prompts you if you want to backup registry click yes. Choose somewhere to save it and click save. ( I save mine under a folder in My Documents called Registry Backups.)
  • Now click Tools, then click Startup. Check if you need all the programs in your start up list. Examples of what you don't need running are: Msn, Steam, Adobe ARM, + lots more. To disable a start up program click on it then click disable down the right hand side. If you are not sure ask me or do not disable it.
I feel I didn't really cover start up programs well so here is a picture and a bit more of a walk through:

As you can see I have only disabled what I do not need in case I ever need to reenable a process.

You can see the types of things I have disabled, things I do not need slowing down my pc, the more programs that run at startup the slower it will go.

Disable things you don't need to run at startup.

For example: Steam, I do not need to login to steam as soon as my computer starts up, when or if I need it I can just double click on the icon and wait a second or two for it to load up.

Ok now you have cleaned all that junk out lets do a defrag

Defraggler:
Defraggler is a great defragging program. This can make a noticeable difference in hard drive read speeds. ( Warning: defraging can take a long time. I recommend you do this over night.)

And that's it! Once done you should notice increased performance in your pc.

If you would like further increased Performance in your games I recommend this program:

Game Booster
http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

Designed to help optimize your PC for smoother, more responsive game play in the latest PC games with the touch of a button. Updates drivers, Clears Ram, Tweaks Settings and more! Compatible with PunkBuster, Cheating-Death, VAC, and any other anti-cheat software.

I have seen it make games go from unplayable to perfectly playable with no lag.

Have a question? Need help? Just ask.

Upon completing my tutorial I would appreciate any comments on how it went for you.

Thanks
Last edited by SpaceLlama; Jan 2, 2011 at 06:33 AM.
Pc running slow? Think you are infected or just want a general clean up? Try this.

Nice links, this has some things I didn't even know existed.
OLDA | Fr3styL | RL | T3AL
R.I.P [Pure] 356 Threads, 19,000 Posts.
Maybe mention something about the CCleaners startup tool?

You can turn off all the programs at startup that you don't want to open when your computer boots. If you have a slow computer it would help your computer start up faster and cut down on the background programs. It's also safer than going to MSConfig and changing it manually because if you don't know what you're doing, you could mess a lot of stuff up.

Edit: I'm fairly sure there's a setting to have CCleaner clean your computer on startup too.
Last edited by LWafflez; Jan 1, 2011 at 08:10 PM.
Thanks LWafflez. This morning before I even read this post I was actually thinking I need to cover startup programs more. I will do this tonight when I get back from work.

Thanks for your post.

Also guys. If you do finish the whole tutorial please let me know how it went for you and/or any problems along the way that I could explain better.

Thanks.
Pc running slow? Think you are infected or just want a general clean up? Try this.

Thx for the thread, that game booster is amazing ^_^
''May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.''
nice thread and really helping me,yesterday my computer is SUPER,SUPER,SUPER laggy
and i see this tut,and iam try this tut,really working
nice and good job
Adphones|.:!New Era!:.|Indonesian
request video? PM me