Ranking
Original Post

Here in the markets, there are a large number of texture makers that work in a higher resolution than Toribash's native 128x128. Most (myself included) find it easier to work in the larger format. But, unfortunately, since TB can only handle up to 128 pixels square, posting previews in a higher resolution is somewhat deceiving, which is why we have the disclaimer rule. With a disclaimer, a buyer is notified that his purchase might not look the same ingame as it does in the preview... but do you know how different?

Most artists I know like to work in 256x256. This is generally a safe working resolution as long as you keep in mind that it will be reduced and make changes to compensate. But how about those working above that? I've seen some amazing sets done in 512x512. If you ever wondered how different the preview quality and the reduced quality will be, here is an illustration.

The first black square is native 128x128. The whole image is 512x512.

Yep, that's right. 512x512 is 16 times bigger than 128x128. If you think about it the opposite direction, it's 16 less quality ingame.

Here's a series of heads comparing 512 to 128. The first image has a 20 pixel line, a 10 pixel line, a 5 pixel line, and a 1 pixel line. At 512, the red 1pixel line is reduced to a pink blur. The second head shows what happens to highlights, and the third head shows what happens to details.

All this to say... When there's a disclaimer on it... know what you're selling, know what you're buying.

Not so recently the feature to be able to buy 512 head textures came out. This means that if you upload a 512 texture while using a 512 head, it'll look exactly like the preview.

Last edited by ravenger; Jul 26, 2010 at 04:25 PM.
Thank god!

I've had to tell this to so many people who've asked.

I myself work in 256x256, where I find that as long as i don't get carried away and start making small teeth on gears (like i did on one of my heads a while back) there isn't too much to lose

Thank you novitech, for saying what i've always tried to say, but was too lazy to make actual proof for

Now i can just link to you.

BTW, can you post a 256x256 version of the heads?

EDIT:

think tb will ever upgrade to 256x256?

Perhaps for 4x the cost per texture ;)

(Can't hurt to dream)

Also, you should say that each 16 pixels colors has to get squeezed into one pixel. Which would be why there is so much blurriness

Not entirely necessary for your note, but i think it would put a new view onto it.
Last edited by DarkJak; Mar 25, 2009 at 02:26 AM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
You might also want to mention that 256x256 is not as bad as 512x512 but is still 4 times bigger then 128x128.
yeah, but 256x256 is pretty handy for hand-drawers, since usually there is gonna be some blue in a hand-drawn texture, and in many the heads i've resized, the 128x128 reduces the blur...wait not quite what i meant.
Like the blur would compensate for the resizing squeeze thing.

So many times for me, the pixels manage to sort themselves out well enough for how i work

But brushes and filters on the other hand....that does lose a lot, with any resizing
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
So why is having 512x512 bad again? Because it loses quality when resized? I didn't think the game resized them automatically, because even when I uploade my 512x512 ones to the torishop they look better than 128x128... maybe its just me. Or maybe when it gets resized automatically through the game itl ooks better? =/

The whole "Large heads may lose quality when resized!" thing confuses me because I wasn't aware the game resized them to 128 =/
(Hive people only, haha!)
When you upload them, the game will automatically resize them.

If you stick them in custom folders, they'll stay the same size.

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
DONSELUKE, MASTER OF LAWSUIT
if you love america please sign this petition
B&B&B&
Nice thread, but I still may use 512's for some time im so costumed to it, its very easy to use, and i think my textures are simple enough to make up for "Huge Quality" Lose
Hi it's Praeter
Originally Posted by Novitech View Post
Here's a series of heads comparing 128 to 512. The first image has a 20 pixel line, a 10 pixel line, a 5 pixel line, and a 1 pixel line. At 512, the red 1pixel line is reduced to a pink blur. The second head shows what happens to highlights, and the third head shows what happens to details.

.[/B]

Isn't the 128x128 more blurry?
(☞゚∀゚)☞
he is just showing how much detail is lost when a texture built 512x512 is re sized to fit toribash in game standards as 128x128
Hi it's Praeter
You are making my set in 512x512.
amirite?
Does that mean its going to be epic or fail.
(☞゚∀゚)☞