Ranking
Google Code University <- This is good to learn to code well.

The best game maker? I am going to go ahead and suggest a real engine, it won't be easy, but it is what you will be seriously using if you get in to the industry. The sooner you start using real tools the better;
Unreal
Unity
Source (a little outdated IMO)
OGRE (more of a graphics engine than a game engine)

Don't waste time piddling around with Gamemaker or RPG maker, those are for kids. If you want to get a serious head start, jump in to a real engine and start using some real tools.

Rapid prototyping with Gamemaker or RPG maker is acceptable, once you know what you are doing.
Originally Posted by Gormin View Post
Google Code University <- This is good to learn to code well.

The best game maker? I am going to go ahead and suggest a real engine, it won't be easy, but it is what you will be seriously using if you get in to the industry. The sooner you start using real tools the better;
Unreal
Unity
Source (a little outdated IMO)
OGRE (more of a graphics engine than a game engine)

Don't waste time piddling around with Gamemaker or RPG maker, those are for kids. If you want to get a serious head start, jump in to a real engine and start using some real tools.

Rapid prototyping with Gamemaker or RPG maker is acceptable, once you know what you are doing.

Nice thanks for the help.

Was looking at OGRE and stuff looks real on it.
Last edited by callisto1; Feb 21, 2011 at 05:51 PM.
If we're talking good programs that are very simple but can make some amazing games I would definitely say game maker, you can find it at yoyogames and the latest version is 8. It could be a good step before c++ language. It seemed to make it a little easier in my opinion.
Blender is the best to use for a free game maker, but hard to do if you don't watch the tuts they have.

http://www.blender.org/
TP|Guardians| Hai. Watz upz.
Well I learned java first it might not be the first to learn first or the best for making games ,but it gave me a good foundation to coding and I can code pretty much anything now using it.

Learn Ruby, then learn C++ or get someone to teach you C++

In the mean time Unity should be pretty fast and easy, and you can still produce a decent product.
T1cux: clan have eggs.
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Learn Ruby, then learn C++ or get someone to teach you C++

In the mean time Unity should be pretty fast and easy, and you can still produce a decent product.

I remember Unity, Skul talk me about it a long time ago and someone deleted the thread right before I forgot what it was called :/
There's a thing called Game Designing.
You don't need to know how to make a game to be able to design it.
Pen and paper is the best game designing program. Common sense on what can and can't be done is recommended.

Programmers are the blue collar workers of game industry (though their average wage is higher compared to designers), while designers are the architects.

Smaller game studios have more split duties like: designer/programmers, artist/designers etc.

Knowledge in programming is a huge pro though so I recommend studying a variety of languages. Facebook, Iphone and other casual platforms are on the rise so studying programming languages suitable for them could be a smart choice careerwise.
Originally Posted by hoho123 View Post

I Want To ManBreakfast Massage Me When He Massage I Will Pay