ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Texturing 3D objects
Would it be possible to let us texture 3D object ourself.
I would love to have a custom textured swagcap, or a greenhat(tophat) with a steampunk look. Would open up lots of possibilitys for artist and new looks in toribash,
and as its just one most of the time object the texture wont be that big besides the custom texture replaces the default.

Opinions?

Edit: Pretty sure this might be suggested already but I couldn't find it.
Last edited by Headles; May 11, 2016 at 10:07 PM.
Sup nerd
It's a privlage to have a custom 3d item like the legends do. Even tho it's just a texture it still would be a new item type cuz you would need to create a new item on Toribash for that texture to be on that item cuz it's not possible right now to texture 3d items directly thro Toribash without creating a new item.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wouldn't it be possible to have a texture item for object just like hair has its own colour?

And if its not possible right now how much work would it take to make it possible.

And I know its a privledge to have a custom item was just wondering if it was possible to re-texture existing models. Because well its possible to texture the whole body of tori which are also 3d models?
Sup nerd
There was a similar thread a while ago, it was about recolors

http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=538091

TL;DR making textures for 3D objects is possible but really hard because they have different UV layout and stuff, letting people upload textures for 3D objects is gonna increase the storage usage and devs don't want that (we even had this incident recently when forums ran out of space and avatars weren't uploading).
golf
It's not as hard as you might think. We discussed briefly having textures use default slots, for example if you have a cube head object, you could make it map to the same as the default head texture, so when you wear "cube head" you get your head texture projected onto the head.

For many other objects that serve as replacement parts, it makes sense to allow default textures.

@Kristis: No that's not true, it's possible RIGHT NOW to have the same 3d object with different textures, 3d object textures can be stored in custom folder just like regular textures.

@AssassinPro No it's not that hard, here is the UV for polly:

You are telling me that is oh so difficult to texture? It's easier than a head for sure!
lol, you probably could change the texture of an item through the "custom" folder BUT that will be for single player only. why? because i think when you "/dl" someone, it downloads the file from toribash and not from the actual player. ----- soo youll have to update the actual files from toribash for everyone to see it in multiplayer, and if EVERYONE can freely update textures, that would cause problems since .tga files are usually large

-------------------
about the UV's of the head and the item being in the same file--
you cant just stack the UV of the 3D items above the head UV and hope for it to work
you would have to arrange it, and i doubt normal players know how to do that, do they?
best item forogerer
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UGUU~~~~
Sure normall players dont know how to do that but most of them also dont know how to make good textures so thats what artists are for.

Anyway read the thread assassin linked and found this post of skullfuk:
Didn't include option one as that isn't what this thread is about.
So there's 2 options you can chase with them, though to be honest I really can't see either happening:
2. Provide a UV template for each item and allow people to upload textures themselves... That would be great, and it follows the Toribash tradition of customizing cosmetic things. It's a far better solution than #1, however drive space. Just that. You'd be surprised how quickly a server's drive can be filled - they're not infinite y'know. Add the increased server bandwith usage and you're hitting something that would be awesome, but way beyond hampa's wallet.
give hampa all your moneis if you really want this sort of thing.

Personally I would pay for something like this as its gives even more advancement to making your own character and I think thats one of the most fun things about toribash.
Being fully in controll of your tori (movementwise and visually) , I dont know about rest of the community though. (ofc I would rather want it to be buyable with tc but well might not be a option)
Sup nerd
And if not wont hampa be able to clear some storage for textures in anyway. By for example clearing al older textures from it. I mean people should be able to reupload theirs if they are still active. The inactive people didnt lose items just the items are being reset.
Sup nerd
Imma bump this seeing the beanie event is doing relatively well and it seeing its possible to texture something in the custom files it should just be a storage issue :/ which could be simply helped by making it pricey or something.
Sup nerd
why not have a subscription thing?

You have a subscription(in this case a liscense) to be able to wear or make custom textured 3d objects?

(I only skimmed this thread, sorry if I misunderstood)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nomad Moderated Message:
Be more straightforward with your uplifting messages or I'll fucking skin you alive.