Toribash
Original Post
Ranking Season One

Hello there!

Today we announce the new seasonal ranking system for Toribash.

• No more monthly rank resets.
    The first season is going to last for 3 months and will end on July 10th, 2017. No resets until then, even if you stay inactive for a few weeks and then come back.

• No more public ranked rooms.
    We all know the old ranking was a farm fest with some of the top players only fighting their friends who would lose on purpose. This would no longer be possible. All the public ranked rooms have been removed.

• No more daily rank 1 rewards.
    You spend half the day playing, get rank 1 and already dream of buying that new 3D item but then you login the next day and know that some Russian stole your prize because he played a bit more when it was the right time. Sounds bad, right? That's why we have removed the daily rewards - instead, the best players will get their prizes when the season is over.

• The new matchmaking.
    With the new system, the only way to rank up is to use the ranked mode in Matchmaking. We have made some significant updates to it in Toribash 5.12 thanks to your feedback.

We tried our best to both reduce the waiting time and make sure players can't select their opponents - and that's the why ranked matchmaking is used for the new ranking. When it's peak time, you no longer have to wait in a queue; once there is someone else willing to play, you will be instantly put in a fight. More than two players searching at once? The system will pick a better opponent for you to fight based on your rank.

• Brown belt restriction.
    Sorry beginners, but ranked fights are for those who can stay on their feet for more than 50 frames.

• Automatic mod choice.
    Unlike unranked matchmaking, you cannot choose what mods to play with ranked. If you aim for the top, you've got to be the best at everything, be it aikido or wushu. Ranked matchmaking is using 3 mods from different mod groups, and we will rotate them each month. April mods are as classic as they can be: aikidobigdojo.tbm, lenshu3ng.tbm and taekkyon.tbm.

• Best of 5 duels.
    To ensure the matchmaking session isn't luck-based, ranked fights are first-to-three duels. Accidentally lost an arm in a kicking mod and grappling mods aren't your strongest side? You still have a striking mod left which can give you a second chance at kicking.

Top 100 players will be rewarded at the end of the season

• Rank #1: 500.000 Toricredits, Pure + Demon Pack, unique 3D item.
  • Rank #2: 400.000 Toricredits, Magma + Azurite Pack, limited edition 3D item.
  • Rank #3: 300.000 Toricredits, Tesla + Boreal Pack, limited edition 3D item.
  • Ranks #4-10: 100.000 Toricredits, limited edition 3D item.
  • Ranks #11-100: limited edition 3D item.

July 1st update: ranking data has been restored, the new season end date is July 10th, 2017.
Matchmaking boosters stay active until the end of this season.
Last edited by sir; Jul 1, 2017 at 03:15 PM.
You can literally play only the mod you want and then leave, that's what wounder is currently doing... Are you seriously going to give out prices for this?
If you are, im just going to play only erthtk and disconnect the rest of the mods. And I recommend everyone does the same. Just DC all the mods you're not good at.

I literally want to play this game even less now that matchmaking is out.
Last edited by cowmeat; May 3, 2017 at 01:35 AM.
We can still reset ELO for those who try to outsmart the system. Haven't given out any prizes yet (and not going to until it's end of June), so I don't understand why you keep whining in every single post.
Uh, he raises a legitimate point sir.

You want to prevent this from happening. You don't want folk quitting on people all the time to get higher ranks. Resetting ELO after the fact doesn't prevent this. Close the loophole rather than just dealing with the shit that squeezes through it.

You shouldn't just dismiss people you perceive as annoying.
You can still report bugs / loopholes without mentioning how the "matchmaking wants him play less" in every post, right? First he whined about MM using taekkyon instead of erthtk (even though it was mentioned that we're going to do monthly mod rotation and hey look it's erthtkv2.tbm now), then whined about people afking even when it was confirmed that a fix is on the way, now this.

If you can't get in top because you're worse and play less than top 10 do, no need to blame us for that. And don't tell me cowmeat is the best player around so the sole reason he isn't rank 1 yet is because the system is flawed. It isn't perfect yet, that's why we're still adding things to make it better.

Afk issue has been resolved and players will get same ELO penalty as if they disconnect, this one will be dealt with too. As for those who managed to abuse the system and plan to continue doing so until it's changed, they will have their ELO reset to default. We have data for all the ranked games so it's pretty easy to monitor.
So the loophole is going to be properly addressed? Good. That wasn't clear from your initial response to cowmeat - You seemed to just ignore the loophole and call him a whiner.
Originally Posted by sir
If you can't get in top because you're worse and play less than top 10 do, no need to blame us for that. And don't tell me cowmeat is the best player around so the sole reason he isn't rank 1 yet is because the system is flawed.

Lol. That's a bit dishonest mate. Nobody is making that argument and your base assumption is that people/cowmeat is only complaining because he's angry about not being in the top 10. Shouldn't ascribe imaginary motives to people like that. It's that sort of thinking that discourages people from trying to help - Speaking from experience here.
Last edited by Ele; May 3, 2017 at 03:32 PM.
The reason why literally very few good players are top 10 is that the MM system is absolutely garbage.

The individual games determine the ranks, not the whole match.
You can quit between games and not lose elo
You get matched with the same person 10 times in a row
Because of your elo algorith it's mostly about who plays the most.

Who want's to play that?

graph

This is your top 10 players, almost a direct correlation with games played and elo, so if you aren't absolutely shit you can just farm games and be #1.
Well done with your "skillbased" system. Is our top player SO MUCH better than the rest to be ahead by 20 elo, or has he just farmed more?
So in order to be #1 at the end of three months you have to have played a thousand games, and then you wonder why people don't want to tryhard with matchmaking.

Oh well, I guess I'm going to stop posting about problems since my style is too whiny.
Have fun with your matchmaking, not playing that shit anymore, since it's beyond criticism.
Last edited by cowmeat; May 3, 2017 at 04:43 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
This is your top 10 players, almost a direct correlation with games played and elo, so if you aren't absolutely shit you can just farm games and be #1.
Well done with your "skillbased" system. Is our top player SO MUCH better than the rest to be ahead by 20 elo, or has he just farmed more?
So in order to be #1 at the end of three months you have to have played a thousand games, and then you wonder why people don't want to tryhard with matchmaking.

Can't see the problem here tbh. The more games you play and win, the higher you get in ranking, isn't that the purpose? This isn't the first time you complain about ranks being based on how many games were played but you never suggested a better system. Ask the community who's the best and give them rank 1? Consider W/L ratio? Are you literally saying that a player who had 500 wins out of 640 games should have a lower rank than someone who played 200 games and won 180 of them?

Oh well, I guess I'm going to stop posting about problems since my style is too whiny.
Have fun with your matchmaking, not playing that shit anymore, since it's beyond criticism.

Well none of your comments in this thread correlate with what you posted in MM discussion thread and they're basically whining, yeah. It's been made exactly as promised and we keep changing things according to players' requests but yet you behave like we ignored everyone "again" and it's our fault the playersbase isn't similar to Dota's so there's a chance you'd be matched against the same opponent for the sake of getting matched (will look into getting a min wait delay added for these cases but there's not much that can be done about it).

Opinions are always welcome, it's just that if you're trying to copy snake's behavior, you'd be getting replies that match it. Will also move all this to S&I thread as it's more about the system's basics than how the season is run.
Originally Posted by sir View Post
Can't see the problem here tbh. The more games you play and win, the higher you get in ranking, isn't that the purpose? This isn't the first time you complain about ranks being based on how many games were played but you never suggested a better system. Ask the community who's the best and give them rank 1? Consider W/L ratio? Are you literally saying that a player who had 500 wins out of 640 games should have a lower rank than someone who played 200 games and won 180 of them?

Well I personally am not interested in a farming simulator, let's leave it at that.
You can literally play only the mod you want and then leave, that's what wounder is currently doing... Are you seriously going to give out prices for this?
If you are, im just going to play only erthtk and disconnect the rest of the mods. And I recommend everyone does the same. Just DC all the mods you're not good at.

I literally want to play this game even less now that matchmaking is out.

I must admit, I did do that, and I honestly do apologize for it, I forgot I had left my matchmaking on, but I should of stuck it out and not been a dick. I won't be doing that ever again and it's 100% my fault.

But you have to understand that what Karteiro/Tudson/Noca did to get 1662 elo wasn't playing the game legitimately either, and anyone with half a brain will know he cheated in order to do that(mainly due to his history of cheating/account sharing), whether it be having his friends lose to him, or AFKing until he finds an easy opponent(i know this has been fixed, but it's too late), and having played nearly 400 games I have realized how impossible it'd be to get even close to 1662 without cheating, and it completely made me lose hope in being able to do this legitimately. Although I have not cheated by having my friends lose to me on purpose, I have AFK'd in a few TK games after losing to someone and going through the full cycle of the other 2 mods. It's not the right thing to do, but it's literally the only way to compete with the other cheaters.

If I were to pass Kartiero's rank, i'd have to win over 15-20 games in a row without losing once, every loss would bring me back 3-5 wins. Another person i'd call out for abusing the AFK glitch is SemiHampa, notice how his rank dropped considerably after the patch came out.

I shouldn't be throwing other people under the bus, but I need everyone to understand how I feel and how other people in top 10 most likely feel as well,
and i'm no better for doing almost the exact thing to others.