people playing: 240, servers online: 75, games played: 135,953,197 Top Player: Shmevin

Toribash Community » Help » Tutorials
Register FAQ General Rules Community

Old Mar 2, 2010   #1
ilasaigues

Brown Belt

Arm Texture Symmetry Tutorial
I believe that all texturers, at least once in it's life, has this problem. you do an arm texture, and when you mirror it to the other side and use it, it's asymmetric! there is a simple, step-by-step solution to that, and i'll show it to you for free!

First of all, I warn you that i use Adobe Photoshop 7.0. I do not know if what i do here can be done in other versions, so you're all warned.

FIRST STEP (And this one you should apply it to EVERY texture you make)

Make the grid visible by either pressing Ctrl + ", or by clicking VIEW>SHOW>GRID

Now that that is done, go to the grid configuration panel, located in EDIT>PREFERENCES>GUIDES, GRID & SLICES

In there, change the GRIDLINE EVERY: X [UNIT] thingy to 32 PIXELS
And the SUBDIVISIONS to 4

Now you have a grid that will help you in every texture you make, because all textures are made in dimmensions that can all be divided by 32 (128x128, 256x236, 512x512) that way, the grid divides the sheet in equal parts!

(If you want to use the grid as just a guideline, but don't want every single tool to snap to it, just press CTRL + SHIFT + ;, or from the menu VIEW>SNAP or VIEW>SNAP TO>GRID)

SECOND STEP

We were all taught in school that all textures are squares of 128x128/256x256 or such, and that biceps and triceps textures are structured like this:

And they're right. We must now desing our texture as we please, following this guideline above. After we have finished, we move on. This is the example texture I made:

The texture will be in the left bicep, and the arrow will point towards the left hand.

THIRD STEP

We create a folder called TEST inside the directory [DRIVE]: \Games\Toribash verx.xx\custom, and we save the texture AS A .TGA FILE, WITH THE NAME l_biceps.tga (all in lowercase)

FOURTH STEP

Now we load toribash. We start single player mode, and see the classic scene of our character standing in front of uke.

To load textures to one of the characters, we must first understand two things:

1- The /lp command: the command means "Load Profile" (or load player IDK), and as it's name states, it loads a profile from a player folder in the Custom folder of Toribash. But that command alone won't work! We must specify which player data to load! If you remember well, you'll notice that we saved our texture inside the TEST folder in Custom. So the command would now be like this: /lp test

2-The problem with that code, is that it doesn't tell the game where to load them! one would say: "To one of the players, DUH!". but that is the quid of the question! you must tell the computer which player the textures will be equipped to! but how? That is easy! Both Tori (You) and Uke, are indexed with numbers, that are 0 and 1, respectively. Like we want the texture in our player, to see how it looks, we type the following: /lp 0 test

Now the texture has loaded and appears in our characters left bicep!

Now... as for the other texture, it's another complereley different matter.

FIFTH STEP

When creating a mirror texture, by logic one just presses the Flip Horizontaly button, but that's not enough when we talk about arms!

If i Flip Horizontaly the texture, it would look like this:

But when i save it and name it r_biceps...

It's horrible! The arrow is stuck inside the shoulder, and we don't want that!

SIXTH STEP

Here comes the tricky part. Remember I made you change the grid settings to 32 pixels per gridline, and 4 subdivisions? now we're gonna use them. what you must do, is move the texture SIX SUBDIVISIONS TO THE LEFT. NO MORE. NO LESS. if you don't have steady hands, as is my case, just turn on the SNAP TO GRID option, and do what i said above.

The example would be:

(and the old one, just to compare easily)

SEVENTH STEP

Now we have our finished, and corrected texture, which, as we can see, is now perfectly simmetric!

EIGHTH STEP (This one is not necessary, but if you're a perfectionist like me, then do it!)

We now have our finished texture! but what about the blank space we left on the right side?

That side of the texture will never be seen, unless someone sees the texture file, but for aesthetic purposes, we have to fix it! The solution is to fill the blank with the predominant color in the texture! if your texture is dark and stuff, fill the hole with black or a dark colour that matches the predominant one in your texture. Use the same logic when you use light colours!

PS: you can also use these steps when doing a tricep texture

WARNING:This textures and guide were made by starting off with the left bicep and then fixing the right bicep. if you start with the right bicep, then just do everything in the other direction!

HOPE THIS WAS HELPFUL TO SOMEONE!!!

PM ME FOR MORE TUTS.

AND VISIT MY SHOP REGULARLY TO SEE MY SETS!!

C.YA!!
[RAID] | [T3AL] | [FLG]
I won't be active in-forums or in-game until 4.0 comes out.

Last edited by ilasaigues; Mar 3, 2010 at 01:39 PM..
ilasaigues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010   #2
BladeNinja

Black Belt

Thanks! This Should Help Everyone struggling with making arm textures like myself. lol
Olda | Clan [Element] | Black Belt
BladeNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010   #3
icon5

3rd Dan Black Belt

thx dude always wanted to know :3
nice tut
icon5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010   #4
Supaleet

Brown Belt

thanks.very good tutorial
Oh hai der ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Supaleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010   #5
Dinis

6th Dan Black Belt

Kinda helpful =D
Dinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010   #6
umd

3rd Dan Black Belt

Finally! I can make an arm texture precisely, not approximately
Nice tut!
3rd Dan|Latvian|Baltic
umd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010   #7
Pliser

Black Belt

great !

thx ^^
Pliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010   #8
MadVVorld

6th Dan Black Belt

cool dude, i was having trouble with my first set until i saw this
Awesome tutorial
[Piratez]
MadVVorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010   #9
pal

Master Belt

Can't understand the grid part :S

"Now that that is done, go to the grid configuration panel, located in EDIT>PREFERENCES>GUIDES, GRID & SLICES

And the SUBDIVISIONS to 4"

Can you post images of it? My gimp is portuguese :SS
pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010   #10
ilasaigues

Brown Belt

Originally Posted by TBashed View Post
Can't understand the grid part :S

"Now that that is done, go to the grid configuration panel, located in EDIT>PREFERENCES>GUIDES, GRID & SLICES

And the SUBDIVISIONS to 4"

Can you post images of it? My gimp is portuguese :SS

I warn you that this tutorial was done with Photoshop 7.0. i don't know how does it work in Gimp, but i'll post it anyways. it's attatched.
Attached Thumbnails
asdasd.jpg  
[RAID] | [T3AL] | [FLG]
I won't be active in-forums or in-game until 4.0 comes out.
ilasaigues is offline   Reply With Quote