people playing: 151, servers online: 45, games played: 135,362,041 Top Player: Shmevin

Toribash Community » Help » Tutorials
Register FAQ General Rules Community

Old Oct 13, 2016   #1
*Chaos

2nd Dan Black Belt
Server: grappling2

[Forums] Constructive Critisism
This is going to be a step-by-step tutorial on how to give constructive criticism
appropriately and accordingly.
Some things to keep in mind are
  • Some people may not like criticism
In order to keep things in order and understandable is to be deliberate
about your constructive criticism
Step1
Keep Cool
This step is the base to giving good CnC you can't give CnC while in
a bad mood or the recipient may feel discomfort.
Instead give CnC while being as calm and collected as possible.
Keep away from sarcasm. Not fixing up your attitude may solve someone's
problem in the short term but will not fix any problems permanently.

Step2
"Criticism Sandwich"
What a "Criticism Sandwich" is, is when you first find
something you like about the person's work
Ex: "The line work is amazing"
Then you give your CnC
Ex: "Although the line work is great, the shading needs some fixing
up on the edges because it is a bit to light"
Then you end this sandwich by giving another thing you like.
Ex: "You have turned a thought into a truly enjoyable piece of art"
Give these statements in the nicest most pleasant way possible.

Step3
Be Specific
Although it can be hard being specific when giving criticism is vital
to letting people truly understand where they can improve on their work.
Simply saying it is this that is wrong meh, eh, you suck, these statements don't help at all. Include evidence and concrete details to help further explain your thoughts. Give well thought out examples and reasons.

Step4
"Criticize the Action and Not the Person"
This means to not criticize the person at hand, but the work done by them.
Don't criticize someone's work by their habits or personality. Separate the person's traits as far away from the work/actions done. No one is stupid
or inferior when coming to CnC everyone makes mistakes. Instead of making "you" statements that are blaming make "I" statements that express someone's work/actions.

Step5
Use Diplomatic Language
Diplomatic words are a group of words to help further express the situation
in a calmer and more professional tone. These statements are groups like "Perhaps if?" "It Seems to me." and "I am feeling that this could be a little
more." those are all great statements to use when giving criticism.

That was a little Criticism tut Out to Cats.

Portuguese 

Russian 

German 

Last edited by Chaos; Oct 13, 2016 at 03:38 AM..
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2016   #2
Kratos
Flagrant Meme

GOD Belt

Nice tutorial there, this wouldn't help just beginners, but also everyone that doesn't know how exactly do a "CnC post".
Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2016   #3
WeooWeoo
Family Dog Beater

10th Dan Black Belt
Clan: Catalyst

Well shit, no wonder I've been getting pissy at people. I've been doing it wrong and been acting ridiculous out of ignorance on how to do this correctly. I feel like an ass now towards TyZi.

Thanks for this.
"Let me keep you here for an hour, okay pick a number" - Pouffy
"Weoo is correct unfortunately." -Icky
WeooWeoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2016   #4
+cats

10th Dan Black Belt

nagato's tutorial was way more in depth and he actually knows what he's talking about. i don't understand why you made this when you can't even make proper cnc yourself.
cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2016   #5
Furry
LEGGO MY DOGGO

2nd Dan Black Belt
Clan: Saint

Originally Posted by cats View Post
nagato's tutorial was way more in depth and he actually knows what he's talking about. i don't understand why you made this when you can't even make proper cnc yourself.

Where does it seems that he doesn't know what he's talking about Both these tutorials pretty much cover the same thing, just Nagato's was more well put together. If this tutorial is lacking, instead of saying he doesn't know how to do something explain to him how to do it? You should know this as you're lmod for the art board, correct?

This is a good tutorial, I do disagree with the "criticism sandwich" thing though. I don't believe I have to say something nice about something, THEN something bad, i'd rather go through the bad things/or good things all together first.
Furry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2016   #6
+cats

10th Dan Black Belt

Originally Posted by Coine View Post
Where does it seems that he doesn't know what he's talking about Both these tutorials pretty much cover the same thing, just Nagato's was more well put together. If this tutorial is lacking, instead of saying he doesn't know how to do something explain to him how to do it? You should know this as you're lmod for the art board, correct?

i was referring to a pm i sent to nesoi yesterday which is the reason he made this tutorial. i think he's just trying to prove he knows things about cnc but this just looks like a half-assed copy of nagato's tutorial. in my pm i explained and expressed my displeasure with the majority of nesoi's posts in art, since people were coming to me to complain about them. i don't have as many issues with the way he structures his posts (which is what this tutorial was meant to redeem i guess??), but with the information he gives out and the general way he critiques things. sure, there's no "right" or "wrong" cnc since it's something that tends to be subjective and artists can choose for themselves what advice is good/helpful and what isn't if they are experienced enough. the purpose of my pm was to help and give advice on not being a nuisance or eyesore in threads to anyone who is experienced enough to know that the information you are giving may not help the artists whose work you are critiquing, though technically nesoi did not break any rules.

i did not intend to go public with this and my means aren't malicious towards nesoi, i'm sorry if i came off as such. i acted towards my discretion and if nesoi has a problem with the advice i gave he will disregard it. thanks

Last edited by cats; Oct 13, 2016 at 01:16 PM..
cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2016   #7
*Chaos

2nd Dan Black Belt
Server: grappling2

It was a joke cats I don't know why you are upset it was a simple heh. I made this tutorial because you said that yes, but
I was not making fun of you I am actually quite proud of this tutorial because tbh it also helps me so please do not feel
I was purely just trying to make you feel a type of way. Another thing this is not half-assed this may not be as in depth
but is simply a step by step to help people get in the habit of it then it will feel like second hand. This tutorial was
supposed to be simple for beginners so they can grasp the concept of CnC.
Sorry if the statement at the end made you feel discomfort I will take it off if you'd like... Just shoot me a pm
and I'll take the remark right off .

Last edited by Chaos; Oct 13, 2016 at 04:52 PM..
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2016   #8
Hypez

Master Belt
Clan: Division

Originally Posted by cats View Post
i was referring to a pm i sent to nesoi yesterday which is the reason he made this tutorial. i think he's just trying to prove he knows things about cnc but this just looks like a half-assed copy of nagato's tutorial. in my pm i explained and expressed my displeasure with the majority of nesoi's posts in art, since people were coming to me to complain about them. i don't have as many issues with the way he structures his posts (which is what this tutorial was meant to redeem i guess??), but with the information he gives out and the general way he critiques things. sure, there's no "right" or "wrong" cnc since it's something that tends to be subjective and artists can choose for themselves what advice is good/helpful and what isn't if they are experienced enough. the purpose of my pm was to help and give advice on not being a nuisance or eyesore in threads to anyone who is experienced enough to know that the information you are giving may not help the artists whose work you are critiquing, though technically nesoi did not break any rules.

i did not intend to go public with this and my means aren't malicious towards nesoi, i'm sorry if i came off as such. i acted towards my discretion and if nesoi has a problem with the advice i gave he will disregard it. thanks

You just force-fed this poor soul lackluster constructive criticism (which can be abbreviated as CnC as shown throughout the rest of this post despite being mentioned only twice more following this footnote). All you had to do was follow the guidelines provided to you throughout the original post in order to provide effective CnC, but I assume it was just too much (seeing as this is a very complex post with languages that have words that I could not even begin to read, let alone pronounce). But we must keep it diplomatic, so I would like to inform you that using the term "half-assed" was a below-the-belt move (cunt-punt) and should be viewed as one too. This whole entire post was thrown on and off axis because of that single combination of words. Which I personally frowned upon (my smile was reflected across the x-axis after having stumbled upon the word "ass," which left me with a frown composed of negative coordinates). My advice to you would be to keep your CnC rated-E for everyone, no matter how difficult it may prove to get your point across. More specifically, remember this when moderating the art board (the one that has such a special place in all of our hearts) so you don't wedge your heels into the necks of the people receiving your acute criticism.
Fatherfucker
Hypez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2016   #9
Glimpsed

4th Dan Black Belt

It would also help to know what you're talking about. If you have no experience in what you're giving people advice about, then you're just gonna give people useless advice.

Might as well add that to the tutorial, even though it would be a bit hypocritical on your end.
Glimpsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2016   #10
dengue
Chatterbox

Punk Belt

he is rude with people and do this thread? I give you rep- for that.
I think it deserves my CnC.
dengue is offline   Reply With Quote