ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
PC builds with AM3+
As title says I'm looking for some builds that use an am3+ socket. Here are some components I can scavenge from my old computer if necessary.
- ATI Radeon pci express 2.1 1gb (says ddr3 on the card not sure if that's needed)
- AMD FX 8350 4GHz 16mb 8 cores 165W(already bought that very impulsively)
- XTREME GEAR 600W ATX Power supply
- Seagate barracuda 7200.12 1TB (I don't really need anything over a TB)

Willing to drop most of those except for the processor. Maybe keep the battery. I've got a nice tower which I can dust off. Pretty much would like a new mobo with PCI-E 3.0 and AM3+ along with a respective graphics card and possibly a new battery if it's really necessary. Price range is 600$ tops and if I should add more information please tell me. I'm mediocre with computers but able to install all of the components given the right sockets. Any help is appreciated!

Now that's the type of post I'm looking for, do you think I'd need to upgrade my PSU if I just went crazy on the GPU? Also mobo is a MSI GFM615-P33 but it's pretty much fried (won't go into what happened with that. GPU is HD5670. Also looking for compatibilities between mobo/gpu/cpu I don't want to have to do much dirty work (like BIOS shit). Is it wrong of me to gauge the GPU by how many GBs it has? Also any recommended mobo/gpu that you can think of?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by cocacobra; Dec 11, 2013 at 01:53 PM.
i created the ??? emoji
like a lighter bitch we ignit

<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
The sticky assumes my computer is currently working. And yeah that's about right but if there are some good builds that are in that pricerange and include others I'm open to it.
i created the ??? emoji
Eh, what you've told us about that graphics card doesn't really help. What model number is it? R9 2XX? HDXXXX? Brand name?
What motherboard do you have?

With the dosh you have, and the fact that you already have a decent CPU, PSU and you've stated that you don't need more hdd space, really the only room to improve would be a new graphics card. You have $600 to spare right? So if you're not going to need other parts you might as well go whole hog and buy an R9 280x or GTX 770. I'd lean toward the 280x because well, AMD CPU, AMD GPU, and the fact that it's slightly cheaper.

There's also RAM but you don't need more than 8gb if that's what you already have on hand.

With the extra cash left over from shelling out on the GPU you could also buy an aftermarket CPU cooler and experiment with overclocking that FX-8350. Of course this can be somewhat limited by what motherboard you have, some don't like overclocking very much :<

EDIT: Oh how could I forget an SSD. Don't really need it but hey if you have the cash lying around post buying a new GPU then why not?
Last edited by 4zb41; Dec 11, 2013 at 08:57 AM.
Now that's the type of post I'm looking for, do you think I'd need to upgrade my PSU if I just went crazy on the GPU? Also mobo is a MSI GFM615-P33 but it's pretty much fried (won't go into what happened with that. GPU is HD5670. Also looking for compatibilities between mobo/gpu/cpu I don't want to have to do much dirty work (like BIOS shit). Is it wrong of me to gauge the GPU by how many GBs it has? Also any recommended mobo/gpu that you can think of?

Thanks in advance
i created the ??? emoji
For motherboard maybe a GA-970A-UD3P or M5A97 R2.0, grab as much ram as you want. There's a lot of choices for GPU, the R9 270 is very cheap and performs great but your HD5670 should work fine. You'd probably want a 650-700W PSU though (use a PSU calculator).

The number of GB that a GPU has is just the amount of onboard memory, it doesn't have anything to do with how fast the card will be.
Originally Posted by cocacobra View Post
Now that's the type of post I'm looking for, do you think I'd need to upgrade my PSU if I just went crazy on the GPU?

Your current PSU should be fine with the GPUs in your price range, and has the right connectors for some of the bigger cards (at most two PCI-E 8-pins, your PSU should have two 6+2 connectors)
My only concern with your PSU is that it is not really up to snuff so far as 600w power supplies go - it produces 31 amps instead of the recommended 45+. You should be fine with it but if you don't mind buying another, I'd recommend you buy something like this nice Seasonic M12II 620w PSU.

Also mobo is a MSI GFM615-P33 but it's pretty much fried (won't go into what happened with that. GPU is HD5670. Also looking for compatibilities between mobo/gpu/cpu I don't want to have to do much dirty work (like BIOS shit).

The mobos Gor- Immortal Pig recommended above are both very nice.

Is it wrong of me to gauge the GPU by how many GBs it has? Also any recommended mobo/gpu that you can think of?

Also like above, the R9 270 will do quite well for you. However, you'll have to go price check other parts and decided on which parts you're going to replace from your old build and which ones you aren't first so you can see how much cash you have left over for the GPU. With the parts I've listed in this post that's about $200 of your budget toward a new PSU and mobo, which leaves $400 for a GPU in which case you could easily afford the more powerful R9 280x or GTX 770. But I won't judge you if you decided to save yourself some cash - you probably won't need anything that powerful really.

When it comes to which r9 270(x)/280x or gtx770 that becomes a bit more interesting as there are multiple "brands" of them, per se. In general, Gigabyte or Sapphire cards are going to be the bang-for-buck ATI Radeon cards, and Gigabyte or EVGA for Nvidia GTX models.
I'll get more into detail if you want once you've decided on what card you want.
Last edited by 4zb41; Dec 11, 2013 at 08:53 PM.
Originally Posted by 4zb41 View Post
Your current PSU should be fine with the GPUs in your price range

The CPU is 165W though, that seems like a lot. I'd definitely calculate it unless you're sure.
Gor- Immortal Pig

Either way is fine :P
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
For motherboard maybe a GA-970A-UD3P or M5A97 R2.0, grab as much ram as you want. There's a lot of choices for GPU, the R9 270 is very cheap and performs great but your HD5670 should work fine. You'd probably want a 650-700W PSU though (use a PSU calculator).

I think I prefer the M5A97 R2.0 comparte to the other model. I plan on grabbing 2x4gb sticks of ram. I used a PSU calculator using my new processor and the R9 270X minimum was 422W max was 472W this didn't include fans (thats like 5-20W maximum)
The number of GB that a GPU has is just the amount of onboard memory, it doesn't have anything to do with how fast the card will be.

Alright, but then what's the use of the onboard memory?
Your current PSU should be fine with the GPUs in your price range, and has the right connectors for some of the bigger cards (at most two PCI-E 8-pins, your PSU should have two 6+2 connectors)
My only concern with your PSU is that it is not really up to snuff so far as 600w power supplies go - it produces 31 amps instead of the recommended 45+. You should be fine with it but if you don't mind buying another, I'd recommend you buy something like this nice Seasonic M12II 620w PSU.

Also like above, the R9 270 will do quite well for you. However, you'll have to go price check other parts and decided on which parts you're going to replace from your old build and which ones you aren't first so you can see how much cash you have left over for the GPU. With the parts I've listed in this post that's about $200 of your budget toward a new PSU and mobo, which leaves $400 for a GPU in which case you could easily afford the more powerful R9 280x or GTX 770. But I won't judge you if you decided to save yourself some cash - you probably won't need anything that powerful really.

When it comes to which r9 270(x)/280x or gtx770 that becomes a bit more interesting as there are multiple "brands" of them, per se. In general, Gigabyte or Sapphire cards are going to be the bang-for-buck ATI Radeon cards, and Gigabyte or EVGA for Nvidia GTX models.
I'll get more into detail if you want once you've decided on what card you want.

The R9 270X looks very desirable, and already calculated the PSU with it and it's not bad at all. The 280x and gtx770 look a bit overkill for the semi-casual gamer that I am. Oh, and what's the big difference between my current PSU and that one other than the 20W because 20W doesn't seem to be worth 100$.
The CPU is 165W though, that seems like a lot. I'd definitely calculate it unless you're sure.

I think we'll be okay.

Alright so as of now the current build is looking like this:
- AMD FX 8350 4GHz 16mb 8 cores 165W
- XTREME GEAR 600W ATX Power supply
- Seagate barracuda 7200.12 1TB
- GIGABYTE GV-R927XOC-2GD Radeon R9 270X (says its a support card but seems to look like it works alone)
- ASUS M5A98 R2.0

Looks pretty decent to me, save the battery.
i created the ??? emoji
The point of memory on a GPU is to allow larger textures and models to be loaded, and to deal with larger displays. If you set the graphics settings to a game too high (for example if your card is only 512MB and you use highest quality textures and models and a high resolution with antialiasing) then your computer will have to store some of that data in your RAM, which is significantly slower than the memory on your GPU. This makes the game very slow! In general, more memory on GPU is better, but some cards come with 6gb or 8gb, which isn't really necessary.

What is this battery you are talking about? Do you mean the power supply? If so, it's not a battery!