people playing: 119, servers online: 35, games played: 144,294,237 Top Player: Gentleman

Toribash Community » General » Off-Topic
Register FAQ General Rules Community

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11
Dare
Forumite

10th Dan Black Belt
Clan: win

UPDATE:

Taking Summer classes:

Political Science 2: A (so happy)
General Physics 1:
General physics 1 Lab:
Health:
Ex Dueler - God - Player
Dare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12
Arctic
Professional Healslut

9th Dan Black Belt

fantastic job!
That was really bad sorry.
Someone tell me why this guy is highly respected by some people ???
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13
Dare
Forumite

10th Dan Black Belt

Thanks! i'm trying my best
Ex Dueler - God - Player
Old 1 Week Ago   #14
Fire

JFHSKJDFHSKEHFKJSEHFKJSEHFKJSEHF Belt
Clan: Alpha

Good job dare keep it up.

I am a senior, going to the university next year. The university I am joining is considered on of the best in lebanon and is free. Therfor, we can't just start off with med school. First year, they accept every applicant and learn general biology (only biologie). After that year, we have exams to see who can get to med school / dentistry / nursing etc. The best in each category they apply for are accepted.

Its a very hard university and hard road to go for. Failure after this first year will lead me to a waste of 1 year of my life. However I will go for it and maybe get accepted in med school too.

The only problem I am facing is that I can't handle long hours studying. I have been getting the best grades according to wyat i have been listening to to school and thats it. I barely study (1 day before the exam), and I am affraid that will push me down a lot in university.

On average, how long do you spend studying daily at home, after uni?
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #15
Dare
Forumite

10th Dan Black Belt

Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Good job dare keep it up.

I am a senior, going to the university next year. The university I am joining is considered on of the best in lebanon and is free. Therfor, we can't just start off with med school. First year, they accept every applicant and learn general biology (only biologie). After that year, we have exams to see who can get to med school / dentistry / nursing etc. The best in each category they apply for are accepted.

Its a very hard university and hard road to go for. Failure after this first year will lead me to a waste of 1 year of my life. However I will go for it and maybe get accepted in med school too.

The only problem I am facing is that I can't handle long hours studying. I have been getting the best grades according to wyat i have been listening to to school and thats it. I barely study (1 day before the exam), and I am affraid that will push me down a lot in university.

On average, how long do you spend studying daily at home, after uni?

I live on campus during the school year, but during the summer I commute to campus. In the US it's a four-year degree and after you get your degree you can get into med school after you apply. The average applicant that gets in has a 3.72 GPA unfortunately, which is high af, but I'm getting there!

Now, the first thing I would do if I were you is to find a place to study. A place where no one can distract you and your comfortable in. For me personally, I can't study at home, I have to go to the library and book a study room. In terms of how much time I spend studying, it honestly depends on the course. I usually don't study for class every day. It really depends on my schedule for the class and which courses are harder than the other. However, DO NOT STUDY A DAY OR HOURS BEFORE AND EXAM. DO NOT CRAM EVERYTHING. You will regret it as I have. Also, don't procrastinate, do everything days ahead so your future self does not need to stress.

For Example:
Biology- biology is generally easier for me since it's mostly memorization and knowing how the processes work. So for Biology exams, I would study 1-3 days before. I generally don't study every day for biology.
Chemistry- Chemistry is harder for me as it requires critical thinking, knowing how everything works, and knowing how to do the math. So it requires me to study regularly while doing a lot of practice questions.

One tip I can give you, which I find VERY useful is to print out the class syllabus when your classes start. Then put these syllabus's on your wall and cross out the stuff you do every day on the syllabus. Or get a planner and keep track of everything due and what you need to study/do every day.

In your case, you have only one year to pull off acceptance to medical school. I recommend to fully focus on your studies for this one year, as this might be one of the most important years of your life. And if you do other things, you may regret it in the future. Personally, in your case, I would study at minimum of 1-3 hrs every day. And if possible study for that entrance exam as well. If you can find old exams and stuff do them and PRACTICE.
Also, in my case when I first started going to University back in August, I quit tb until December after my first semester. I would do this in your case as well. I found tb very addicting and by quitting, I only focused on school/life. And by doing this for one whole semester I understood How much I need to study and what I need to prioritize.

To study for long hours requires motivation honestly. Think of where you want to be, what are your goals. The only way to get to your goals is to push through by studying for long hours. If you don't understand something- don't stop studying, study longer until you understand it.

In addition, when you go to your University try to find a group of "smart" (I say smart because there are plenty of retards in University) friends that are also trying to get into medical school. I say this because it helps you study and not feel like your the only one doing this. And also, I find it fun competing against friends in trying to get a better grade. It makes you motivated to study and beat them.

Transitioning from High School to University can be easy for some and difficult for others. To get into Medical School your competing against brilliant minds that are also at the top of the class. At the end of the day, study extremely hard and you will get the reward that you're aiming for.
Ex Dueler - God - Player
Old 1 Week Ago   #16
Fire

JFHSKJDFHSKEHFKJSEHFKJSEHFKJSEHF Belt
Clan: Alpha

Thank you!

I am actually the opposite of you. I have great thinking skills that make chemistry and math easier for me. However, I find memorising stuff just bit hard, so I need to work on that.

Good luck kn your journey

Ps. How many years is med school? And what about getting specialized in a major? (Brain surgery, heart surgery, kids med, etc...)
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #17
Dare
Forumite

10th Dan Black Belt

Basically in the US. You have to go to College or University and get a degree. And then in your 3rd-year people usually take the MCAT which is essentially the entrance exam for medical school. However, during this time frame you need to volunteer, shadow, and maybe do research while keeping up a competitive gpa which is around a 3.7 gpa. Then you apply to a lot of medical schools and hope you get into one. Then in medical school, it's another 4 years but you don't get paid in medical school. After, you apply for residency which is around 3-7 yrs depending on which specialty you go into, but in residency, you get paid.
Ex Dueler - God - Player
Old 1 Week Ago   #18
yuki

2nd Dan Black Belt

I'm actually curious, what method of classes does your college have?

I had to pass a propaedeutic year. A year with "boosted" high school disciplines and English — it works as a selection year for the best students. Which looks like the same you're going through right now.

After propaedeutic year, the method of classes changes to (pbl) problem based learning... and welcome to Medicine year 1.

At my university it's like,
Propaedeutic year also called 0 year + 6 years it's the full course.

Year 1 and 2 - non clinic phase, where you learn the normal human physiology and anatomy.

Year 3 and 4 - clinic phase, where you learn human physiopathology and communication skills a.k.a anamnesis.
You can also attend patients if your college has a private clinic.

Year 5 and 6 - clinical clerkship, you'll have different rotations in a hospital, 2 months for each iirc.
The "easiest" years, since the doctors at the hospital won't try to fail you at every chance possible, unless you're an irresponsible dumbass or try to play the smart guy and start a war with nurses.

Ah there's also the "final" final exam to get your title as member of your country's secret and exclusive physicians order.
ナーモード
Ex Mikorin
Yarr! Trouble be comin' 2.0
yuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #19
Dare
Forumite

10th Dan Black Belt

Originally Posted by yuki View Post
I'm actually curious, what method of classes does your college have?

I had to pass a propaedeutic year. A year with "boosted" high school disciplines and English — it works as a selection year for the best students. Which looks like the same you're going through right now.

After propaedeutic year, the method of classes changes to (pbl) problem based learning... and welcome to Medicine year 1.

At my university it's like,
Propaedeutic year also called 0 year + 6 years it's the full course.

Year 1 and 2 - non clinic phase, where you learn the normal human physiology and anatomy.

Year 3 and 4 - clinic phase, where you learn human physiopathology and communication skills a.k.a anamnesis.
You can also attend patients if your college has a private clinic.

Year 5 and 6 - clinical clerkship, you'll have different rotations in a hospital, 2 months for each iirc.
The "easiest" years, since the doctors at the hospital won't try to fail you at every chance possible, unless you're an irresponsible dumbass or try to play the smart guy and start a war with nurses.

Ah there's also the "final" final exam to get your title as member of your country's secret and exclusive physicians order.

University (4 years):
So for University, I'm getting a business degree (4-year bachelors) while being a Pre-Med student.

Basically what that means is I'm taking the pre-requisites for medical school which includes: 1-year physics with lab, 1yr gen Chem with lab, 1yr Gen bio with lab, 1yr Orgo chem with lab, 1 semester of Biochem, 1 semester of upper bio, 1 semester of statistics, 1 year of English, and 1 semester of calculus.

However, these classes will change depending on which medical school you want to apply to.

For classes for me, in addition to these pre-med courses, I am also taking Business courses because my degree is business. So I'm pretty much doing double the things, lol.

Then around my 3rd year in University, I will have to take the MCAT (an insane exam) and then apply to medical school at the end of 3rd year and hope I get in.

Medical School (4 years):
Now Medical school is also 4 years, After university (4 years)
In medical school it's where you learn all information to become a physician with clinical rotations. You will also take USMLE Step 1, 2, 3. USMLE 1 is the most important as whatever score you get makes you competitive only for certain specialties. However, if you get a score like 245+ then that score is competitive for all specialties.
After your 4 years of medical school and taking the exams, you apply for a match. Essentially a match is when you apply for what specialty and you hope you get matched into that specialty, if not you gotta choose something else or you have failed medical school/you gotta quit. After you match into a specialty, you match into a residency position.
You also don't get paid in medical school. Your in a lot of debt..... rip (Usually around $200k in debt US Dollars)

Residency (3-7 years):
Now Residency is after Medical school and is basically your practice in the specialty you got matched into. Residency is 3-7 years depending on what specialty your in.
In resdiency, you will get paid and it's usually around $50-70k a year (US dollars).

After Residency:
After residency your a free doctor. Find a job and you make a lot of $$$$$. You can easily pay off the debt from university and medical school.
Ex Dueler - God - Player

Last edited by Dare; 1 Week Ago at 03:33 PM..
Old 3 Days Ago   #20
Dare
Forumite

10th Dan Black Belt

UPDATE:

Taking Summer classes:

Political Science 2: A (so happy)
Health: A
General Physics 1:
General physics 1 Lab: