ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Matchmaking feedback thread
With 5.0 we've added a new matchmaking feature for more competitive play. The system is still very much in development and I'd like to get community feedback on how we can make it better.

Here are a couple categories of things that have been brought up, to get the conversation started (Feel free to add new things, though):
  • Season length - currently set to 1 month, suggested 3
  • # of games played - currently BO3
  • Calculating global/category rank - currently elo is by mods and I think global rank is an average
  • Appropriate penalty for leaving matchmaking games

Below I'll try to compile the suggestions I receive:
  • Custom win/loss icons (In place of the current x/o)
  • Change selection icons to empty square / checkbox
  • Match history
  • Better notification/confirmation for matchmake

Known issues:
  • Elo penalty is applied to both users - should be fixed in next patch
  • Some users reporting that matchmaking isn't properly connecting them to a private room, instead moving them to a lobby with multiple players queued
  • Matchmaking seems to be selecting grappling regardless of category(s) selected
  • Matchmaking is not pausing while playing a fight
  • Matchmaking sometimes skips replay and goes straight to next fight
  • Grab status persisting between matchmaking fights, even if mod changes to one without grab
Last edited by hanz0; Mar 29, 2016 at 07:44 PM.

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
DONSELUKE, MASTER OF LAWSUIT
if you love america please sign this petition
B&B&B&
Originally Posted by snake View Post
modlist, please
-----

err.. swfixed doesn't have wrists and and ankles dq, making matches to be long and tripod'ish, i would rather prefer to have wrists dq enabled, but ankles not, to make it more dynamic, bias n such but there is like... spiritwrestlingfix.tbm

in general would be somewaht decent to have official orgs to be usefull for once and nominate the mods they believe are competative in each category, for example we have order of tk, which is for some reason official, hence recognized, which may gather around and select several mods they believe fit, same for the rest official orgs.

having official community organizations to have their imput on "cumpetative" aspect of the game have a bit more sense than having community-wide polls with least common denominators voted most, due to the obvious gap in skill between regular players and more experienced ones,

i mean really, trying to please everyone doesn't work, and the competative mods should be shaped by the people who understand aspects of the mods pretty deeply, so when they roll out something it have some creditability

got swayed a bit, anyway yeah, still looking forward to see some consolidation efforts

Originally Posted by Odlov View Post
Any chance matchmaking sumore_v gets updated to sumore_e version that's been in official server for a see now? It's more clinch-friendly due to new toris with thinner arms, and its much easier to run. Had very good feedback.

At the moment, changing of the modlist is by dev only, but there's a UI on the way to let us change it. As soon as that comes out we'll definitely have more discussion on adjusting the modlist.

Originally Posted by Coine View Post
There's currently a glitch where the replay won't show during match making, and it'll instantly skip to the next match.

Noted, thanks. Any ideas on how to reproduce it, or did it seem to be random?

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
DONSELUKE, MASTER OF LAWSUIT
if you love america please sign this petition
B&B&B&
Originally Posted by hanz0 View Post
Noted, thanks. Any ideas on how to reproduce it, or did it seem to be random?

If this is the same as what I get it happens everygame, but it is simply that the relpay speed has been set to 0 automatically for some reason

pressing > fixes it and pressing space sets the replay speed to 1
Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.
Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
what category u see sumore fit into?
It is no-grab but itțs not a striking mod and itțs not kicking either.
Maybe if u suggest other 3 mods that are competitive and make a new category or idk.

Grappling. Yes, many matches end without clinch happening, but that's not so different from real sumo wrestling, where many matches end with simple extended-arm push-outs. Still, clinch happens, and throws happen. And as I said above, new sumore_e makes clinch a lot more likely. Thinner upper bodies, reduced velocities, and more range on pecs and shoulders. It's not as jumpy as sumore_v.
Attached Files
glutethrow.rpl (49.2 KB, 5 views)
sickthrow.rpl (114.3 KB, 2 views)
defeated.rpl (87.1 KB, 3 views)
Things, stuff, other thingies, blablabla reduced velocities

Yes. Thank you based odlov.
One thing which I'd like to point out is the problem with V's knees. Is the knee velo toned down (compared to the rest of the tori) in the new one? In V you could do some insane things with knees and it really hurted the grappling aspect of the mod.
Last edited by panttersin; Mar 10, 2016 at 09:56 PM.
Originally Posted by panttersin View Post
Yes. Thank you based odlov.
One thing which I'd like to point out is the problem with V's knees. Is the knee velo toned down (compared to the rest of the tori) in the new one? In V you could do some insane things with knees and it really hurted the grappling aspect of the mod.

The knees are the same, but guess what? Knees did not have increased velocity in any sumore version (always had default velocity of 40) and in fact had reduced strength (to 3 from 4). Maybe you mean hips and not knees? If you're thinking of lifting ppl with legs that's mainly hips. In sumore_e, hip velocity is reduced by 3.60, which is quite a bit.

Anyway, try it before knocking it. It's substantially different.
The knees are the same, but guess what? Knees did not have increased velocity in any sumore version (always had default velocity of 40) and in fact had reduced strength (to 3 from 4). Maybe you mean hips and not knees? If you're thinking of lifting ppl with legs that's mainly hips. In sumore_e, hip velocity is reduced by 3.60, which is quite a bit.

Anyway, try it before knocking it. It's substantially different.

Oh, that was unexpected. I guess I was 100% wrong there.
But yeah, the leg velo reduction is surely helpful when it comes to grappling.

EDIT: posts below granted some more insight
Last edited by panttersin; Mar 10, 2016 at 11:09 PM.
Could the increased velocities you thought you felt be because of different densities? Iirc correctly the densities of the limbs were cut down a good bit, which is probably the biggest reason why they seem so quick.
Originally Posted by pouffywall View Post
Could the increased velocities you thought you felt be because of different densities? Iirc correctly the densities of the limbs were cut down a good bit, which is probably the biggest reason why they seem so quick.

If the knee force is unchanged and the tori is lighter, then its the same as velo increased (I see it that way atleast). SO if the tori is lighter than normally then I wasn't wrong with the knee comment.
I felt the knees could push up with tremendous force so I thought it had increased force.
I don't know if thats the case tho.

Also when I use the word velo, I just mean the force it generates compared to the weight of the tori. You might mean something different.
Modmaking terms are not something im familiar with since I dont make mods, I play them.
Last edited by panttersin; Mar 10, 2016 at 11:03 PM.
Yeah, that's mostly the case. Total density of each arm was cut down from .75 to .531, each leg was cut down from .75 to .54. (every bodypart on the tori is .25 a pop, giving the entire standard tori a density of 5.25 )

imo the density change in general is a step in the right direction as far as weight distribution goes, but yeah there is the issue of the limbs being a bit too fast to keep a handle on in some cases
Last edited by pouffy; Mar 10, 2016 at 11:09 PM.
V has default densities (cept head and groin), and that's the version panttersin has issue with. New version has reduced densities on limbs, but velocities are lowered to compensate.