Toribash
Original Post
FEARKIDO, MOONKIDO, GREYKIDOFIXED - Aikido mods improved!
formally INTRODUCING

fearkido.tbm by Fear

moonkido.tbm by Moonshake

greykidofixed.tbm by Moonshake

Each mod here contains certain adjustments to the beloved aikido mods which should reduce randomness and further competitive play:
  • aikidobigdojo -> fearkido
  • aikido -> moonkido
  • greykido -> greykidofixed
Summary of the differences:

fearkido (or click here if you want)
  • Fracture threshold: 250 -> 280
  • Dismember threshold on wrists and ankles: <default> -> 1200
  • Ring size: 800 -> 820
  • Turnframes: 500 -> 520, a 20-frame turn is added to the end of the usual run
moonkido
  • Same fracture threshold, dismemberment threshold as what can be found in fearkido
  • Ring size: 450 -> 470
  • Everything else remains the same as what can be found in aikido.tbm
greykidofixed
  • Same fracture threshold, dismemberment threshold as what can be found in fearkido
  • Height of the exterior pads are raised 0.05 units: 0.125 -> 0.175
  • Everything else remains the same as what can be found in greykido.tbm
Explanation for changes:
  • Since a feature of high-level aikido play is the "clap" opening and its variants, it is common for a pair of hands on the same side to end up grabbing the respective opponent's wrist, which can create a wrist dismemberment in a manner that is hard to predict. Fear took it upon himself to solve this issue by raising the dismemberment threshold on wrists.***
  • The threshold was raised for ankles as well, since an ankle can occasionally dismember upon impact (usually after recovering from a lift/suplex).***
  • The ring size was given a small increase of 20 units, to give the player a little more of a chance to save themselves from disqualification.**
  • The timer was increased by 20 units, and the last turn will be 20 frames long, to give the player a little more of a chance to collect damage points (if needed).*
  • The greykido pads were increased from 0.125 units to 0.175 units since a common issue with greykido is the player's foot clipping through the pad and disqualifying themselves underneath.*
Explanation key:
* - applies to fearkido
* - applies to moonkido
* - applies to greykidofixed

Ideally, the play of the mods should remain the same as what you can expect. These are merely competitive optimizations to, (as previously stated), minimize randomness so a player's skill has a better opportunity to shine.

You can already find fearkido being used in bet servers, replacing aikidobigdojo, and the mod already has over 1000 games played. Out of inspiration, I have made similar adjustments to make aikido and greykido better. I have tested both mods in my own server (under -_test.tbm names) and have received positive feedback from those who participated.

Thanks to Fear for being the first to make such changes.
Last edited by Moonshake; Jun 30, 2023 at 04:51 PM.
Might be worth lowering the fracture threshold on the neck back down, or globally. There are tons of decaps in fearkido:

- hits which would have fracced before now just leave the neck bruised, making it easier to decap
- having frac & dm thresholds close together means that, given a range of hits, its just more likely that any given hit will dm instead of frac
I believe that ball axis grabs and grab threshold should be the focus of adjustments, where throws or pin downs should be desired end state of the match

Distance, dm and fracs are rudimentaries that became front focus due to abdI mean in my experience, no dm aikido is much more fun
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
Fearkido is how ABD was supposed to be. I like everything except the change in ring size since changing it by 20 won't have much of a difference.
NO TITLE
Originally Posted by snake View Post
I believe that ball axis grabs and grab threshold should be the focus of adjustments, where throws or pin downs should be desired end state of the match

Distance, dm and fracs are rudimentaries that became front focus due to abdI mean in my experience, no dm aikido is much more fun

The ideas are totally fine I think but at least in combination they create a whole new mod. These mods were intended to be small adjustments to existing popular competetive mods so they don't re-invent the core mechanics in any way.

Originally Posted by Sora View Post
Fearkido is how ABD was supposed to be. I like everything except the change in ring size since changing it by 20 won't have much of a difference.

Appreciated!

The tiny 'no difference' dojo change was the domain I was trying to work within, and was intended only really to make 'wtf' moments more common (I'm sure you've seen someone do an insane save only to lose it because their foot rotated into the dq zone etc.)
Last edited by Fear; Aug 11, 2023 at 10:54 PM.