Toribash
Original Post
NASA launches largest-ever Mars rover
NASA launches largest-ever Mars rover

^Click it.

Personally I'm very riveted by news such as this. We are all so dependent on the progress of science yet so few seem to be aware of the newest achievements in planetary exploration, which could one day save the human race. It is inevitable that either sooner (meteors, supernovas, hypernovas and other threats from outer space) or later (the death of our sun) we will have to spread out to the vastness of space, one way or another. That is, if the human race won't destroy itself before that- but, I'm a believer. I present the article here in its full length for the easiness of commenting on it while being on the forums.

Clickity click

Outline/TL;DR

On last Saturday, NASA sent its Mars Science Laboratory on an eight-month journey (the rocket) planned to provide us information on did, or is, Mars capable of giving birth to life in the form of microbes, tiny organisms that are abundant on Earth. It also aims to investigate the chances of astronauts surviving on Mars in the future flights.

To sustain life, scientists say, a planet needs three elements: water, energy and carbon. We are not sure about the existence of the third element on the planet. "So we're on a mission to look for organic carbon, there's no question about it." ~Grotzinger.

The mission on Mars (the exploring device, not the rocket) is going to last for one Martian year, that is, approximately two Earth years.

Last edited by Jire; Nov 26, 2011 at 07:13 PM.
Posidengod: Well only a few paragraphs were my own text, and rest was copied from the article, so not very long haha. Any other thoughts on the news themselves?

Tessh: I'd like to believe that they had already secretly found some things they are keeping a secret from us, but I think they are sharing with us everything they get to know of the planet : ]
Jire: Maybe, but they may have some "Top secret" project or something like that, but there is nothing we can do about it.
System Of a Down [Extreme]|LOP|RSO|MoA Dontclickhere!
this is amazing what NASA can do
Lets wish them good luck in finding sources of life
Last edited by Golfball; Nov 26, 2011 at 11:13 PM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Madness
I have high doubts on that they would be having a top secret project up there, although it is possible, as anything is in the vastness of probabilities. However, I think you've just watched too many Hollywood movies, unless you can back up your arguments somehow.

Furthermore, they are trying to find a) traces of life having had existed on Mars once b) traces of Mars having been suitable for life earlier c) Mars being suitable for living right now (finding carbon) and/or d) investigating if astronauts could survive on Mars.
Originally Posted by Tessh View Post
They are trying to find life. read.

And he's saying that he hopes they do find life, you moron.

I find it really interesting, it's quite exciting. Who knows what would happen if they did find life on Mars.
Tint is sex.
I don't wish this to turn into an offensive argument. Praeter, at first Golfball's post was something like the following: "I hope they do find something" which to Tessh was a sign of not having read the article. However, followed by 7 minutes Golfball edited his post to what it is now, followed by your post.

Now shall we concentrate on the article?

Random fact: There is currently a calculated 0.1% chance that an asteroid will hit the earth in about 100 years which could have sever consequences (I don't remember the source, sorry guys. Feel free to prove me wrong but this is what I remember). I'm not trying to turn the discussion to concentrate on what I said though.

We are spending tens of millions into missions such as this. Do you guys feel it is necessary at this stage, if so, why?

Edit:

Originally Posted by TheFirstManceR View Post
I'm pro-nasa.
But it would be really cool if there would be a way to accelerate tree growth and dimensions, plus interior geometry, so we could live in HUGE tree houses. Dude.. Wtf DD
And add thrusters to earth, make it a huge space ship. I see no sense in this. The energy needed for a thrust to reach nearby planets would be far beyond what we could supply it
Plus the shields required to do so and a way to synthesize sunlight together with fastly renewable power sources. Synthesize how, and fast renewing energy sources such as..?
Because atoms are energy, we could basically create anything with the right technology and a large enough amount of energy that regenerates itself quickly.We can't create _anything_ but anything in the limits of atom properties and our current technology
1. Live in harmony with nature. What?
2. Create an infinite power source. What?
3. Synthesize natural sunlight.What?
4. Add shields and thrusters to planet.Why?
6. Profit ?

JUST SAYIAN.

Last edited by Jire; Nov 26, 2011 at 11:47 PM.