ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Ranking Updates
This thread's purpose is to gather more thoughts on Matchmaking and how it should work.

Toribash development team is currently focused on making the Matchmaking system work as you would expect a proper matchmaking to, and we would like to make sure our current plans fit community's desires and views on it. Any thoughts and new ideas are welcome and will be considered.

What is currently planned to be implemented:

• Ranked - a "first to 3" duel
    • No mod choice - players get to fight in randomly selected mods (mod changes each fight).
      Draft mod list: aikidobigdojo.tbm, taekkyon.tbm, lenshu3ng.tbm (or rk-mma.tbm), judofrac.tbm
    • Brown belt restriction
    • Seasonal rank resets (3 months for season length)
    • No daily rank 1 reward. Instead, weekly rewards for top n players or one-time reward at the end of the season.
    • Matchmaking being the only way to rank up.

• Unranked - a "first to 2" duel
    • Pick the mod group to play
    • No belt restriction

We also plan to disable daily rank 1 rewards for now as it has turned into "farm rank without getting caught" fest.
It doesn't mean that everybody with top ranks farmed their way up, but Event Squad members have to deal with rank-related reports on almost a daily basis. We may still reward top players in some way.

EDIT (10/03/2017):
Originally Posted by sir View Post
Matchmaking mods have been changed, mod list now consists of "classic" mods.

Grappling: aikido.tbm, aikidobigdojo.tbm, greykido.tbm
Kicking: taekkyon.tbm, erthtkv2.tbm, kickbox.tbm
Striking: lenshu3ng.tbm, rk-mma.tbm, wushu3box.tbm

Last edited by sir; Mar 12, 2017 at 12:12 AM.
Originally Posted by Parrot View Post
I disagree with the random mods bit. However, it does make sense.

I believe that you should have the ranking system base off of this premise:

Ranks for Grappling
Ranks for Striking
Ranks for Kicking
etc.

Each of these ranking categories come with its own playlist of mods. I definitely believe this would be a much better system to have. Comments?

Not sure about the premise, but i do agree with your opnion about the random mods. It shouldn't focus only on "Global rank" but also in Mods rank.
The mod list should include all the official mods.
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
Because a mod is made with something in mind doesn't mean the outcome always reflects that something..... if you didn't know this already.

Tk is 100% less viable. With 100DM, the chance for random DM's is much higher.

Some of my reasoning here:

#1 The combination of low DM and DQ floor creates games where a single random DM decides games where as in erthtk you have to work for the DQ win.

#2 The lower gravity makes snapkicks way more viable and lowers the need for good balance = less skill

#3 Anecdotal: My highest winstreak in erthtk is around 30 in public (vs public randoms) where as it's around 15 in normal TK. It's way harder to streak in vanilla TK, because the mod is more random and less skill based.

#4 Running in erthtk is super hard. In normal TK, super easy. You have to work for the point victory.

#5 self damage encourages good form and proper attacks while in normal TK you can flail without thinking if you choose to do so.

Literally all of the skill factors that are in normal TK are in ERTHTK while it removes a lot of normal TKs randomness.

true

well you can avoid those "randomness" in tk if you're good enuf, and just becuz you only did a 15 streak in tk doesnt have to mean that tk is more skillless, that more means that your skills are lower than in erthtk

lets better say erthtkv2 is more comfortable/reasonable for the mod making match

apart from that, it would be cool if you can play ranked by choosing a mod
and random ranked match making
like you get more/lose more elo points if you choose random
and that ppl can stay by 1 mod if the feel like to play

Water Melon, Fire Melon, Earth Melon, Air Melon... The ELEMELONS!
Originally Posted by BlueEvil View Post
true

well you can avoid those "randomness" in tk if you're good enuf, and just becuz you only did a 15 streak in tk doesnt have to mean that tk is more skillless, that more means that your skills are lower than in erthtk

lets better say erthtkv2 is more comfortable/reasonable for the mod making match

apart from that, it would be cool if you can play ranked by choosing a mod
and random ranked match making
like you get more/lose more elo points if you choose random
and that ppl can stay by 1 mod if the feel like to play

I don't think you know who cowmeat is

Originally Posted by Dare View Post
This idea of having a pool/group is great. Like what greenblits said too. In addition this idea will greatly distinguish the pros, good players, average players , noobs, new players, so on and so forth. It will make the less skilled players to practice even harder to get to the top. In addition though this is a perfect idea. The one problem is finding out what the top players will do in the final pool with the elite players. They may think this is a great idea for a bit but then break off of tb since they will think they have made it too the top. So we have to think of an idea to counter that but otherwise for the lower tiers it's perfect in my opinion.

Like clash of clans did, they added more ranks later in the game. But the main thing we need is more players. Having an icon for what tier you're in would also be fun to have, bringing a sentiment of accomplishment.
"Durex < Qualatex"-Sassy
DruggedPanda also wants to be famous
Originally Posted by greenblits View Post
I don't think you know who cowmeat is

Like clash of clans did, they added more ranks later in the game. But the main thing we need is more players. Having an icon for what tier you're in would also be fun to have, bringing a sentiment of accomplishment.

1. I still hate cowmeat for that one time in a erth-tk ES tourney ;-;

But seriously tk is one of the 3 competitive mod branches in toribash: tk,aikido,lenshu

the real skill mods, which in my opinion should be the mods used in ranked.

2. I completely agree with the rank icon thing. It would not only feel like an accomplishement, it would also be a goal. "I want to get the platin icon so others can see how good i am"
Also interesting would be special 3d items or colors given to the players in a certain rank at the end of a season. kinda like LoL does with skins.
After discussing with Sir, this is now my take on a matchmaking system.

If the matchmaking system is a sub add on to the game, it will not work. Especially if only made to a basic level.

In Order for a matchmaking system to work it must be the main feature of the game, and Toribash would need to go down a path of becoming competitive . Which Sir is not interested in doing, a quote from Sir "only braindead people want a game like toribash to be an esport, that's why it is so small" He also mentioned its only "retarded teenagers" that play esports -

Proof

A concern raised by Fallu was that if Toribash was turned into a competitive game it would reduce the population, as the current players are here for the community atmosphere Toribash provides. -

Proof

I agree with Fallu that turning Toribash into an competitive game would turn a certain group of players away from Toribash, But in the long run it would be well worth it as the market for competitive games is the largest out there and still growing.

Another major concern is that the player base is not large enough to support a competitive matchmaking system. This may be true, but i fail to see how the game will ever grow without it being implemented first.

In conclusion, the current rank system will do little for the growth of Toribash, but will provide a convenient way to get a quick game. I must say I am disappointed as I believe the future is competitive play. With the current people in charge this is not going to happen as shown by the above screenshots.
Last edited by FistofLife; Mar 8, 2017 at 01:40 AM.
Originally Posted by FistofLife View Post
Esports talk

Firstly, no game becomes an e-sport without a massive casual player base.
We have a super small player base. Trying to make TB an "esport" is never going to happen.

I certainly want some competitiveness to the game but let's not go down the Esport discussion path. There are more than enough reasons why TB will never be an esport within the game itself not even talking about the playerbase.

The reason why TB doesn't keep players isn't because "People want esports", it's because of the nature of this game. Only a few people want to grind a game like this enough to be so good at it that it starts to be viable to compete in.
A game where you have to play a thousand games before there is enough skill involved to even have a resemblance of competition, is a bit hard to make into a popular one.

It's an old game that will die almost completely in the next few years. Let's keep making it better and implement these good ideas. But let's also not have grand delusions of bringing thousands of people into the game because of a good matchmaking system.
We have a super small player base. Trying to make TB an "esport" is never going to happen.

I certainly want some competitiveness to the game but let's not go down the Esport discussion path. There are more than enough reasons why TB will never be an esport within the game itself not even talking about the playerbase.

The reason why TB doesn't keep players isn't because "People want esports", it's because of the nature of this game. Only a few people want to grind a game like this enough to be so good at it that it starts to be viable to compete in.
A game where you have to play a thousand games before there is enough skill involved to even have a resemblance of competition, is a bit hard to make into a popular one.

It's an old game that will die almost completely in the next few years. Let's keep making it better and implement these good ideas. But let's also not have grand delusions of bringing thousands of people into the game because of a good matchmaking system.

Esports is the dream but competitive play is all i really am on about, maybe i should reword it. I fail to see the point in these small updates that do nothing for the game, just delay its death for a few more months. Something big needs to happen if its ever going to be successful.

A playerbase of 100,000 may never happen, and it will never be an official esport because its so boring to watch. But having a playerbase of 5,000 active players at any one time is certainly achievable.
Last edited by FistofLife; Mar 8, 2017 at 01:46 AM.
honestly i think we should have like a patreon, gofundme or something like that where tb users can donate and the money goes into advertising the game. i think this game doesnt provide a proper tutorial on how to actually play it which is why newcomers tend to stay away from the game. if i am being honest i quit this game like few days after i started it. i just kept playing becauss i met cool people and wanted to be as good as them and it took forever but hey im better than the vast majority of the current players (excluding a select few) but yes i agree with cowmeat.

i would also like to put more emphasis on a better dueling system. idk why people tend to stay away from duels, winning tc because of ur skill is fun and very rewarding

Thank you. See Fist, someone here is telling you the same as whole #toribash channel.

I've spend last three days explaining why certain things aren't going to work in a game like Toribash yet Fist fails to understand / read. Always better to quote something barely related to the discussion than an actual explanation of why tier pools won't work or tiers won't make ranking instantly great if the only thing that they affect is what's being displayed - your rank or an icon.
I still stand by my words anyway, only people with no idea about game development can think you can make any game better by adding some feature from a big successful game with no tweaking - because audience, number of players, game genre and all the other stuff obviously don't matter.

A new Steam build was pushed yesterday, you can see the current number of players searching for a fight now. Minimized matchmaking button has changed, too.
sir,can you please comment about local ranks,are they doable?
can we have ranks for all mods,but keep the non competitive ones outside of your global rank?