Ranking
Original Post
Suggested rule change
So currently the way the rule system is set up for rigging, someone could be banned for letting someone decap them in their own private server.

For example, let's say you and your friend make a server. You put 1000k in on accident when you meant to put in 100, so you ask the only person in the server (your friend) to help you get it back, and now lets say someone walks in when he sees you letting your friend decap you to get your tc back, if he reports you, you would be banned the same as someone would be banned for rigging a decapprize in a public bet server.

I for one am upset. If a user makes a private server, they should have the right to do whatever they want in the server, if I would have to kick everyone in that server because they could potentially report me for trying to get back the tc I put in accidentally, then what would be the point of making a private server? Users should have the right to whatever is in that server that they added.

Now just for clarity, i'm not talking about taking the decap when someone else has added in while in the private server, or preventing other users from taking the decap while in the server.
It's also my understanding that if you have a decapprize in a private server, it's against the rules to change the mod. Kinda silly if you ask me.

With the recent clarifications on what is and what isn't private, it could be helpful to alter some of the rules regarding decapprizes and such, since they are mostly catered to public betting servers and become rather silly when you extrapolate them to a couple of dudes playing fun mods in their own private server.

Although, your suggestion is a biiiit sketchy. It seems like it'd just create a lot of complicated situations and wouldn't end up helping much of anything at all, except in a minority of cases.

I like the idea of updating some of the rules regarding decapprizes, but I think a bit more thought should be put into them so they aren't easily worked around, exploited, and rendered useless.
Originally Posted by pouffywall View Post
It's also my understanding that if you have a decapprize in a private server, it's against the rules to change the mod. Kinda silly if you ask me.

With the recent clarifications on what is and what isn't private, it could be helpful to alter some of the rules regarding decapprizes and such, since they are mostly catered to public betting servers and become rather silly when you extrapolate them to a couple of dudes playing fun mods in their own private server.

Although, your suggestion is a biiiit sketchy. It seems like it'd just create a lot of complicated situations and wouldn't end up helping much of anything at all, except in a minority of cases.

I like the idea of updating some of the rules regarding decapprizes, but I think a bit more thought should be put into them so they aren't easily worked around, exploited, and rendered useless.

Correct, right now i'm currently focused on getting the private server rigging rules changed, as I find it crazy that two friends could possibly for letting him decap you in your own private server you made be banned for the same length as someone rigging a 10k decap prize.

I don't want to have to kick everyone in my own server because I did a silly move and someone saw it and they reported me for letting my friend win.
Last edited by Torarara; Mar 5, 2016 at 02:19 PM.

The private-public distinction is more applied to language. They are there because in public servers you have a responsibility to be respectful towards other players, which has nothing to do with abusing game functions. It's no more ok to rig the prize in a private server than in a public server. The decap prize is seen as a donation - once you put it in you have no right to it. Similar to how you can't farm or expect to get your bet cancelled in a private server.
It's just more problematic if it's done in a betting server because more people are involved with it.

Correct, right now i'm currently focused on getting the private server rigging rules changed, as I find it crazy that two friends could possibly for letting him decap you in your own private server you made be banned for the same length as someone rigging a 10k decap prize.

Same action, whether it's public or not. I don't see any reason to why rigging a private server should be punished less harshly.

I don't want to have to kick everyone in my own server because I did a silly move and someone saw it and they reported me for letting my friend win.

Rules are still rules whether someone is there to catch you or not.

Feel free to be more specific about which rules to change. If you are able to suggest something substantial that doesn't just take in your perspective as a player but also hinders abuse I'm sure it will at least be considered.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
Originally Posted by Lazors View Post
The private-public distinction is more applied to language. They are there because in public servers you have a responsibility to be respectful towards other players, which has nothing to do with abusing game functions. It's no more ok to rig the prize in a private server than in a public server. The decap prize is seen as a donation - once you put it in you have no right to it. Similar to how you can't farm or expect to get your bet cancelled in a private server.
It's just more problematic if it's done in a betting server because more people are involved with it.

Same action, whether it's public or not. I don't see any reason to why rigging a private server should be punished less harshly.

Because rigging in a private server isn't even a rig? We made the server, we put our tc in, why shouldn't we have control over it? It's a different conversation if you spec or kick someone when they get a decap, but if someone just wants to get tc back that they accidentally put in their server, should they really be banned the same length as people stealing others hard earned tc they put in the dp? If so, I can safely say I have lost all faith in the staffs judgement, as they can't tell the difference between to users trying to get their tc back from their own server, and someone rigging a decap in a public,globaled server.

Rules are still rules whether someone is there to catch you or not.

Feel free to be more specific about which rules to change. If you are able to suggest something substantial that doesn't just take in your perspective as a player but also hinders abuse I'm sure it will at least be considered.

I can't honestly see how you are going to defend this, people shouldn't be banned for letting a friend decap them in a private server for fun for the same length as someone rigging a decap in a public server and stealing everyone elses tc.
Last edited by Torarara; Mar 5, 2016 at 08:03 PM.

I'll be a little bit more clear than I was in my last post.

Recently, there was a distinction between what is and what isn't private. This allows for more common-sense moderation for both environments, instead of moderating them the same way, which often leads to unfairly extrapolating rules from public spaces to private spaces - where they don't make any sense.

Yes, I realize that thus far, the staff team has only taken this opportunity to alter the rules on language and blacklisted words, making them less harsh and silly in private environments. I'm not talking about that in the slightest, although it is helpful to me to point out that the staff team recognizes the importance of separating different areas of the community and treating them differently under the rules.

However, there is plenty more opportunity to update other rules accordingly. I'll bring up one of my earlier examples: that you aren't allowed to change the mod in a server if there is a decapprize in the server.

Originally Posted by Betting Server Rules and Guidelines View Post
The type of server makes no difference, tournament, betserver, public etc. Decap is public prize and is to ALWAYS BE WON FAIRLY. Any deviation from this rule results in serious punishment...you may not change the mod/rig the prize.

That's absolutely ridiculous when you consider it in a private environment. Imagine this: A couple of buddies make a private server together. In a spirit of fun (if anyone remembers what that is) they both start just adding random amounts of tc to the decap and dismember prizes, while constantly changing the mod every few matches (which is against the rules!) and eventually the tc amount gets to about 4k. That's not too much, but its an amount not worth sinking. They finally change it to wushu and agree that whoever gets the decapprize sends half to the other guy. Well some random join the server about that time and reports them both, and they get banned for rigging.

How fair is that?

Here, I'll even propose the change the rules could undertake.

In public servers, the rules stay the same. They are already tailored to public servers and they work fantastically there.

In private servers, however, decapprizes (and any tc up in the air in general) are under the collective ownership of the contributors of it. Server ownership plays no part. This way, cancelbets is not allowed unless every better consents to the cancelbets, and decapprizes may not be claimed unless every contributor consents completely to 'rigging' the prize.

As an extension to the private server rules, any server whose decapprize has during a time when the server was a public server, the decapprize should be treated as public and fall under public server rules. I.e. dead bet servers (whose names have been changed & players in the server have been alterted).
Last edited by pouffy; Mar 5, 2016 at 09:41 PM.
This is the actual non-modified quote because I think your edit is a bit misleading. Don't argue with me on this, it's just to give the full picture.
As a further note, if the server is dying, you may not change the mod/rig the prize. The same rules apply, regardless of whether the server is ending. (same but with added line at the bottom)

I agree that the rule about changing mods seems written in a clumsy way and seems more directed to bet servers than anything else. Switching mods in a private server is no big deal as long as it's not breakallthelimbs.tbm. With that I also agree with the first part of your post and I think everything is up for discussion as long as it doesn't promote the abuse of game functions.

In private servers, however, decapprizes (and any tc up in the air in general) are under the collective ownership of the contributors of it. Server ownership plays no part.

How would you keep track of the ownership? It's very hard to know who put in what if you don't have extensive logs.
What do you do if a contributor leaves the server? What if he's kicked? For good reasons? What are good reasons and how much responsibility do we put on the OP to uphold them?
Is it really a private server if the OP is required to show the responsibilities that would be expected in a public servers.
etc
I'm sure you realize how messy the rules are becoming at this point.

Plus, this sends the message that abusing the game is ok. If we treat the decapprize as something retractable instead of a donation, there should be a command for it instead.
Last edited by Lazors; Mar 5, 2016 at 10:01 PM.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
This is the actual non-modified quote because I think your edit is a bit misleading. Don't argue with me on this, it's just to give the full picture.

Fair. Although arguably I did only trim bits that would be misleading without the context of the entire excerpt of the rules in the first place.

How would you keep track of the ownership? It's very hard to know who put in what if you don't have extensive logs.

Transaction history does exist (a feature could be suggested that keeps track of the server that a decapprize is added to, which would help with a LOT of other things as well, but I don't think its necessary for this) and a contributor is expect to stick up for themselves. That is the same case as how nudges are currently handled in betting servers. If that means the contributor needs to screen the logs of them adding to the decapprize (the same procedure as public servers) then so be it. That's not hard.

What do you do if a contributor leaves the server? What if he's kicked? For good reasons? What are good reasons and how much responsibility do we put on the OP to uphold them?

What happens if someone buys a nudge in a betting server and is kicked from the server? For good reasons? What are good reasons and how much responsibility to do we put on the OP to uphold them?

You already deal with these issues, no need to act like this point is somehow the "make it or break it" for this suggestion.

If a contributor leaves the server or otherwise doesn't protect their investment in the decapprize, then it should be implied that they do not care about the ultimate fate of it. You could consider it as a backwards form of consent, because they didn't uphold any claim they once had over the fate of the dp. No need to unnecessarily complicate things.

Is it really a private server if the OP is required to show the responsibilities that would be expected in a public servers.
etc

Woah there, the op is 100% already expected to uphold the rules and guidelines of the community, and as the person with the power to indiscriminately kick and ban people, he does need to show responsibility in being fair when people's tc are up in the air.

So... as extension you're arguing that the way things are currently handled diminishes the "private" status of a server? Hmmm.... Indeed, that is problematic. Perhaps we should alter the rules a little bit to allow more freedom to players who just want to have fun in their own server.

I like it, you should make that happen

I'm sure you realize how messy the rules are becoming at this point.

You're kinda forcing it and trying to make it look messy (not to mention you're breaking my heart in the process </3 )

Plus, this sends the message that abusing the game is ok. If we treat the decapprize as something retractable instead of a donation, there should be a command for it instead.

That depends on your definition of abuse. Everything I've proposed is pretty fair.

If by abuse you mean unfair to some party, I want you to list the parties that would be treated wrongly if we made it so decapprizes are the collective property of their contributors strictly in private servers, and all (active/willing) contributors must have a say in how that property is treated. I'm afraid you'll be hard pressed.

Perhaps you mean "cheap workaround" by abuse, and if you were to don that definition you'd be mostly correct - Well, in the context of broken and unfairly extrapolated rules, at least. The current rules on the subject are quite tightly tailored to public servers, and I don't think it's unfair to create rules that make things a little bit less sacred in private spaces.
Last edited by pouffy; Mar 5, 2016 at 10:44 PM. Reason: I removed the bold because it's hard to respond tooooo
Woah there, the op is 100% already expected to uphold the rules and guidelines of the community, and as the person with the power to indiscriminately kick and ban people, he does need to show responsibility in being fair when people's tc are up in the air.

So, if I'm opped and want to play with a friend and some people drop in and start adding to the prize, I'd be locked away from kicking everyone and playing with my friend. A possible solution to this would be to lock down betting/DP until OP enables it.

You're kinda forcing it and trying to make it look messy (not to mention you're breaking my heart in the process </3 )

I'm trying to find complications yes. It's important when considering rule changes.
None of this is unreasonable and I've asked staff to take a look at it.
So, if I'm opped and want to play with a friend and some people drop in and start adding to the prize, I'd be locked away from kicking everyone and playing with my friend. A possible solution to this would be to lock down betting/DP until OP enables it.

That's a fantastic idea, I like that a lot.

Of course there are preemptive measures for that sort of thing, but admittedly most people can't be bothered to take them.

I'm trying to find complications yes. It's important when considering rule changes.
None of this is unreasonable and I've asked staff to take a look at it.

Okay, that's fair. Although you don't need to blow the complications out of proportion :c

Otherwise, much appreciated. Thanks for introducing the subject among staff.

Sorry if I seem cold or condescending or whatever (I sometimes feel like I do in these situations), I just have a separation between people and their ideas sometimes while discussing.
I mean, you're legit my favourite person on the forums

*Cough* But yeah, be sure to let us know how that goes.

Ah, and it should be mentioned this creates an interesting situation in some betting servers, provided they don't global (I know a few guys who are too cheap to global their own server). If the servers eventually die and still have a dp left, the last remaining contributors could rig the prize amongst themselves.

You could slightly change the public/private distinction to prevent this (hypothetically). An idea I had was making it so any server that has their dp advertised in their desc (or any other information commonly related to public/betting servers) would be public (which actually breaks a workaround I thought of earlier), and the extension I added to the private rules

As an extension to the private server rules, any server whose decapprize has existed during a time when the server was a public server, the decapprize should be treated as public and fall under public server rules. I.e. dead bet servers (whose names have been changed & players in the server have been alterted).

would make sure that you couldn't rig the prize in a dead betting server that was never globaled. Granted, that's only one more hoop to jump through and there are workarounds for it (although they'd probably not work very well)
Last edited by pouffy; Mar 5, 2016 at 11:43 PM. Reason: "Thanks for introduce" smh