Ranking
Original Post
Competitive clan mod-list discussion & ideas.
Discussion in this thread must pertain to the (now deleted) announcement in Clan Discussion and either the mod-list or the competitive platform itself. Feel free to discuss any of the following:

• Mods that should be on the list & why.
  • Features you'd like to see the competitive clan system support/remove
  • Any forseeable issues with balance from any suggestions made.
  • General discussion about your votes and why you voted for particular mods (you can change your vote once it's submitted if you are swayed).

I was a little undecided about where the best place for this would be, so I'm going to leave it here. I don't expect people to make long, winding posts about this topic (as discussion threads normally go) but I would like to ask you all to keep any disagreements/arguments about balance/which mod is better competitively flame-free.

If you have any questions then feel free to ask but any questions which aren't in relation to the topic at hand or are fishing for leaked information will deleted and/or infracted on sight. Please use your common sense, cheers!
Last edited by Gynx; Jul 27, 2015 at 05:11 PM.
collect snots from the nose
"Mods that should be on the list & why."

The reason id pick all of these is because variety is important. All of these mods differ from one another and I feel this would be the best selection of mods without giving any single clan an edge modwise.

Lenshung3: Balanced mod with high skillcap, hard to abuse.

Boxshu_mushu: Balanced mod with high skillcap, hard to abuse. imho one of the most viable long tf mods (wushu players dont jump on this right away)

Erthtkv2: More balanced than tk (less random because of 120dm and 15 grav). Top players can and will streak worse players. one of the only short tf mods left.

ABD: Easy to start hard to master, overall pretty solid competitive mod.

(Aikido or greykido: Shovel is an issue but best players can prevent it)

Judofrac: Long tf mod that has high skill floor. With bad players its a noodlefest but with better players its actually a pretty decent competitive mod.

"which mod is better competitively flame-free"

They are all different, none of them are better than the other and shouldnt be thought as such. for a complete competitive platform there has to be many mods, not just ABD.

"Features you'd like to see the competitive clan system support/remove"

Remove soloing, one good player playing against 10 is incredibly banal.
Adding other mods than just ABD in wars.
Proper elo (but that goes without saying really)
min players (about 3 I'd say)

"Any forseeable issues with balance from any suggestions made."

Not really, in a clan there should be many different kind of players, not just abd/tk/wushu etcetc. Also in order to measure clan skill many of the players have to be able to perform, not just one.
Last edited by cowmeat; Jul 20, 2015 at 02:52 AM.

Cows response in full

he has some wonderful points that are made in this response and i agree with most of it.

I hope to believe that this new system will take care of some of the less useful mods, and making the more competitive mods available to have among the ranking system.

as one of my clans leaders i only hope and wish for the best for my members. i hope this list will provide some ACTUAL feel of skill development after warring someone instead of just to be in it for the points.
Last edited by Fates; Jul 20, 2015 at 03:47 AM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[VIBE] 2015~2016 | Team Pokemon | [Origin] 2014~2015 | Team Aikido | [Obey] ~Because Frost Said So...
swfixed.tbm is a very skill-based grappling mod, due to its damage flag (you can only damage yourself) and lack of DM's

also, it has a fair DQ timer that changes up the gameplay. i'd like to see it in a competitive environment
shmevin eats smegma
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
They are all different, none of them are better than the other and shouldnt be thought as such. for a complete competitive platform there has to be many mods, not just ABD.

Seems as though we agree on something, huh? ;) I agree with this though discussions in the Council were met with plenty of disagreements. Some people consider those mods less skill based, thus less competitive as a result. I'm not sure I agree.

I can confirm solo wars are being looked at, which goes hand and hand with minimum players. Having a proper elo system, or any sort of means of discerning clan skill, is a top priority for us.

Not really, in a clan there should be many different kind of players, not just abd/tk/wushu etcetc. Also in order to measure clan skill many of the players have to be able to perform, not just one.

Agreed. We are looking to address the reuse of single mods over and over again (ad nauseum) in a competitive setting (as is currently done in clan wars), there is going to be an incentive to actually play multiple mods on this mod-list.

Originally Posted by Fates View Post
I hope to believe that this new system will take care of some of the less useful mods, and making the more competitive mods available to have among the ranking system.

Mind explaining this point a little better?

Originally Posted by Fates View Post
as one of my clans leaders i only hope and wish for the best for my members. i hope this list will provide some ACTUAL feel of skill development after warring someone instead of just to be in it for the points.

That's the goal! If we can give you a platform that rewards you for being active, improving and eventually becoming the best, we've succeeded. It's going to be tough and perhaps a work in progress but we're definitely headed in the right direction.
collect snots from the nose
Lenshu3ng, Abd and Erthtkv2.

Lenshu3ng: This mod takes a lot of time to master all skills. And i don't think that "lucky" is even a factor. The goal is easy, get points/dm and dq, the thing that makes this mod be so hard and interesting is that there are basically a low number of moves that will really help you into winning, it means that you'll have to learn how to defend and learn how to attack.

ABD: This mod is really competitive, even though it's easiest than aikido. The big dojo makes it harder for someone dq outside the dojo, which means that the new goal will probably be reach points or dq inside the dojo. Honestly, i don't think that "shovel" means someone is noob or na. It's just a move and if you cant counter it, you have to pratice.

Erthtkv2: I do agree with cowmeat, it's way more balanced than tk. Top players can really streak worse players, once again, i don't believe in "lucky".

Originally Posted by cowmeat

I don't agree, really. I cant see why clans couldn't be allowed to choose only one mod, would be unfair, i guess there's no need to say why.

"Remove soloing, one good player playing against 10 is incredibly banal.
min players (about 3 I'd say)"

Proper elo is probably the only thing that needs to change, i won't mention, but i know clans that got a great rank, because they're still get points, even losing.
In my opnion, they should make the system based in elo, like the players's elo. 1600 as default and the system works exactly like that.
Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
I don't agree, really. I cant see why clans couldn't be allowed to choose only one mod, would be unfair, i guess there's no need to say why.

The top clan in clan wars should be a clan that is the best at toribash in my opinion. Getting to the top of the clan list by only playing one mod just means you're good at that one mod, not the best clan which is what we hope to achieve. The best clan that is the best in general should be at the top. Not the clan that only plays one mod.

what's unfair about that?
Pushing powder down my musket so I may smite another opp.
I put a switch and a beam on my blunderbuss, your hood is not safe.
Originally Posted by Kratos View Post

Proper elo is probably the only thing that needs to change, i won't mention, but i know clans that got a great rank, because they're still get points, even losing.
In my opnion, they should make the system based in elo, like the players's elo. 1600 as default and the system works exactly like that.

Elos as a solution:

no, i do not think this is the correct way of handling the problem because like in Global ranking elos: Make yourself a high enough elo by farming and your untouchable. imo elos as a whole should be removed and reworked but thats an argument for another time. this whole system will bring a new era to TB. New clans will pop up with the sole purpose of being the best at a mod or a few mods, so adding something as manipulative as elos is not a good idea. I mean unless this elo system is like REALLY thought about i wouldn't do it.

Win Ratio as a solution:

win/loss ratio as well. win and loss ratio could be good when it comes to a ranking system that is yearly reset because eventually with Win ratios you get stuck at a certain point unable to move because you have done so many wars and you need alot more wins to accommodate your large number of wars. unless it becomes a reset-able thing I would stay away from that.
Last edited by Fates; Jul 20, 2015 at 05:14 AM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[VIBE] 2015~2016 | Team Pokemon | [Origin] 2014~2015 | Team Aikido | [Obey] ~Because Frost Said So...
Sincerely i selected the follow mods and here are their reasons of why i want to see them on a competitive way .

MODS & REASONS

SWAVES IS THE REAL CHAMP!
I have a pretty up-to-date mod list.
The problem I see here is the categorisation. You're mixing aikido with other "grappling mods" and I don't think that's fair. Abd for example, has evolved into an MMA-styled mod, with focus on damage rather than wrestling. It should be paired with other damage heavy mods instead. Runkido (3) or monkido (leushu.tbm ish mod), perhaps.
The mods more focused on wrestling should have their own list. Swfixed and aikido7, for example.

The rest I'm mostly in agreement with. But you shouldn't force people into mods they're not interested in. Of course, variety is a good thing. Too bad people are more interested in parkour mods than competitive mods (may have something to do with the mod rules). We should have a broader scene of similar mods.

Also, it might be helpful to establish what the varieties do different from the "main" mod, instead of just listing fun and competitive mods.
Last edited by Lazors; Jul 20, 2015 at 08:56 AM.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore