ES Recruitment Drive
Ok so that announcement kind of comes at the right moment, well maybe a bit early ^^

I'm making a "new" batch of 3 striking mods aiming to be played competitively :
Striking_LG (light gravity)
Striking_MG (medium gravity)
Striking_HG (heavy gravity)

They will be largely inspired by lenshu3ng/Rk-mma/Wushu_2015 but they won't be new versions of those mods -even if they're really close- in order to be free from the "but it's not what xxxxx.tbm is like", because yes, they're not those mods.
They will all share the exact same point distribution system so players aren't lost when they switch inbetween different striking mods, the differences will be gravity/turnframe/dojo size/dq timeout, they'll also have long matchframe to give the players enough time to express their talent.

The idea is to give more consistency inbetween the different striking mods, and gathering them under the same "banner" to have more weight against the over-played grab mods.

I won't give them their final names for the moment, I'll be waiting until we have a "first to X points wins" system to finalize them with "damage to score" and a precise amount of points to reach, but in the meantime they're still a better alternative to the current striking mods imo.

Keep in mind that those mods are aiming to replace lenshu3ng, rk-mma and wushu in competition, not in public servers, the long matchframes might be a pain in the ass for public queue.

Edit : As for boxshu_mushu.tbm being in the competitive mod list, as far as I enjoy the mod, it can't be. Just the instagib feet makes it a no-no, players don't even have to try to hit, they can just put their feet in front of them and flail wildely, which makes the skillcap pretty low on the attack and render the defense pretty much useless as you'll lose whatever part you blocked with and dq.

Edit 2 : uploaded a pic to briefly explain the point system the mods share, you can check it here. The idea is to have the body like a shooting practice target, the closer from the center/core you hit, the more points you score, with head/neck and groin being the most sensible parts. [It's pretty close from wushu_2015 for those who played it, except the forearms and shins are now balanced and share the same value not to favorise one over the other]
Attached Files
Striking_HG_beta1.tbm (4.0 KB, 6 views)
Striking_MG_beta1.tbm (4.0 KB, 6 views)
Striking_LG_beta1.tbm (4.5 KB, 4 views)
Last edited by deprav; Jul 20, 2015 at 06:25 PM.
Originally Posted by William View Post
Can't you at least cooperate with the god team for a better pointing system for the striking mods?

but like lazors said: soft body parts, better pointing system, health bar would increase competitiveness a lot, but oh well

http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=440645
i sell pocket pussies
[Ae]ther | cncpls | [OoT] | SR

so? i know there are some mods that tried pointing system. we didn't even test out that mod, no feedback.

i guess the gms would be more comfortable with a pointing system coming from the official modders..with some rigorous testing done ofc.
Your messed up world enthrills me
Anything with instagib shouldn't really be considered competitive, that's my take on mushu in general. As for other mods, judo isn't the best pick either, at least not with current settings, it's too random and often fights are decided by opener alone. Pljudo fixes some of those problems with shorter first turn and higher dt, so if you want to use judo-like mod, I'd advise this one. Judofrac is fine as it is.
Striking mods have lenshu3ng, which is a really solid mod, rk-mma and stabjutsu-original could work as well (although I'm not a fan or rk-mma). I love wushu but any version without a dojo (which kinda 'kills' the wushu in it) would turn into running fest, so the only option here is to use a restricted version of it, be it boxshu, be it zakshu, something that minimizes running.
I dislike abd, I find it boring and often focused on point-holding but too many people like it and play it to take it out, I guess. Greykido works just fine, I'm not sure about the other options.
I never played too much of tk but it is okay, except for those breaking wrists, which ruin half of the matches. That said, erthtkv2 might be a better choice here.

Bolded mods that I'd like to see for sure.
retired
Secondly, it's about what is best for the competitive scene, not what is best in terms of defining the mod's play style. We just wanted a variety of mods that focused on different fighting styles and encouraged skill-based competition.

Well, are you planning to make the system so that one player has to be good at all categories? I assumed you were categorizing them so players can have their own speciality. The way I imagined it, warriors would play games in the general category of mods they play. I don't know what would be best, but it's a bit much to ask that an aikido oriented player would be good at judofrac or ninjutsu.

As for the rest, it's important to exclude mods from the official mod-list for balance reasons alone. Having rewards for being the most skilled means nothing if clans can run wtfmp.tbm and grind out first place. There are some mods that literally have no skill requirement to win in

Yes, I understand this. My point was that a variety of mods that are about the same is desirable to not make the game too dull as well as forcing players to be good at more than one mod. The thing is that they have to use the same form of skill, like gravity manip, striking, effective movement, defence.
The risk of forcing players to be good in every competitive mod is that the war will be less competitive. Everyone is better at some mods than others, and if the mods are random there's the luck element of getting your speciality. that said, it's fully possible to encourage players to learn 2 categories.

About judo. Conflict. I'd trust someone who plays the mod regularly more than someone who plays briefly, but it's clear that it's not for everyone, and we shouldn't force it on someone who doesn't want to play it. This is why we need specialties and categories.
Also, for the people with strong opinionions: would a modified, more refined version be better? Ljf was an attempt to add depth to the mod, no reason not to take it further. One idea would be to add a little distance, but there are more subtle ways to refine the mod.
Last edited by Lazors; Jul 20, 2015 at 07:42 PM.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
why the hell mushu, boxshu is even considered competitive?? Those mods are the definition of the word Luck. People do noob claps everytime, same moves 24/7, you can actually win with just hold all and make a front kick. Rush kicks, skeets, etc. Doesn't even have sense..

Also, to reinforce the idea of having a selected mods for the rankings, this makes clans have more strategy on the wars. They will need to choose wisely the members who will fight on each mod. For example, X player are very skilled on tk mods, and not good on aikido mods, but Y player is good on those. So they could have a balance and cooperation by the members providing their skills, and that is what clans really are for, it will make much more sense the meaning of the clans, the cooperation.

So talking bout the mod-list:

First one I think is the best competitive mod so far is Lenshu3ng. There's not an easy constant way to win there. The space and dojo is a good way to avoid running frequently. Dq is enabled inside the dojo so is another challenge in it. DMs aren't easy to do. Basically is to really know how to move your tori in a way to actually fight with the opponent.

greykido has enough reasons to be competitive. I would say Aikido but as greykido has the platforms around the dojo, is a good aikido mod to avoid shovels/lifts (without having to mention abd.) Also, decent amount of skill is needed to win in this mod, not based on luck in most of the time.

earthtk, competitive mod. move the wrong joints and u r fcked. Dojo is small so there's no way to hit and run(most of the time), basically is who is the best controlling joints in the air avoiding to dq while dming the opponent, wild.

Judofrac could be a good mod, just to not exclude judo from the list. The joints don't dm with just looking at them like the basic Judo, so it's a good point to be more based on skills rather than wild random luck. Still the turnframes and distance between players makes the opener be the key to win most of the time, that's not so good to be called a competitive mod. But as it is not always, for example, there are times that players are close to floor, trying to dq the opponent while both are fractured asf, those moments need skills.

I'm pretty sure more mods could be added.

I believe there is something else to be considered about which mod should be on that list. As there are mods which are similar,(for example, taekkyon and earthtk) some clans which are more based on those mods have an advantage to be a higher rank, because if the total rank is based on the mod-list points/win ratio, there will be a higher chance for that clan to have a better total rank because there are two similar mods(which could be possible to say both are one mod x2 same rank)

aikido
lenshu
judo
earthtk - similar to taekkyon
taekkyon - similar to earthtk

earthtk + taekkyon = (similar ranks) fusion to one mod rank x 2 = boosts rank points

what i'm trying to say is that there will not be much variety on skills. Clans that are good on taekkyon can be good at earthtk. That could boost their rank because is like one mod two times. And if we want to really know the best clans, there should be a complete variety of skills, which also means a complete variety of mods on the list, not similar mods.
And if that's the case then the best way to deal that is to add the same amount of similar mods for each one. like aikido and greykido, tk and earthtk, lenshu and rk-mma, judo and judofrac, etc. That could be more fair, real and uniform.
Well, the idea of why I wouldn't put Judo in besides the obvious problems I mentioned before is that it is simply a beginner mod. Its skillcap is fairly low, it's not even remotely close to lenshu or aikido in difficulty.

On the other hand, if there are so many people that want it in...and enjoy it..well then you can't exclude it I guess cause theoretically it is "competitive". Just in my standards.
Your messed up world enthrills me
Rk-MMA is actually a lot more competitive than Lenshu3ng. Takes a lot more skill to be constantly low to the ground and in a position to avoid being pushed out of the ring, and unlike lenshu running is not a viable strategy in RK-MMA unless its in the last 120 frame where you launch into the air.

Lenshu will come out over RK in the poll just because it has fallen in popularity recently.
I agree with this ^
It is way too easy to run in Lenshu...
If the goal of this is to make a real competitive scene and making toribash more e-sport like, keep in mind that stuff like running or shovelling in a world final isn't something people would like to watch and will probably cause a lot of discussion.

that being said, I think abd is better than other aikido mods in that sense. Problem is, abd may end in a wrist fight, which is not a big issue, but not ideal either.
Another option would be judofrac, which i think is great, since there's no running and no dojo, and managing movements for 70 frames takes some skill. And on top of that, with that ammount of frames, there's a lot more expectation to the next turn and fights aren't decided until the very last frame.

For the kicking mod, erthtkv2 is probably the best option.
Mainly because it's more solid I think. With the dismembermenthreshold being 120, that lowers the chances of the double wrist dm that ruins a lot of fights. And the dojo also makes it harder to have a lucky dq.
erthtkv2 is just a better, more balanced mod than taekkyon. oldfags might disagree...

So, to sum up:
rk-mma for striking mod
erthtkv2 for kicking mod
judofrac for grappling mod (I expect hate for this)

I think the spectator point of view is also extremely important for this decision and people should think more of what would like to watch, besides what they would like to play. Don't forget the public!
Last edited by Miko; Jul 20, 2015 at 11:53 PM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Invaders Must Die
[No-Mercy]
Also Gynx, the wushu mods that currently are in the list are old and nobody plays them anymore (except wushu3box, which is recent and not finished yet), I don't get why wushu_2015 isn't in the list yet as it is in an official public room and the dojo makes it the most viable wushu mod for competition by far.

And what about adding those striking_LG, striking_MG, striking_HG, I introduced at the top of that page ?
My vote will either be lenshu3ng/rk-mma/wushu_2015 or the Striking_xG mods depending on what's on that list.
Last edited by deprav; Jul 21, 2015 at 05:01 PM.