Toribash
Original Post
What Mods Should We Use for Matchmaking?

The Premise

Okay, so on with the point: We want matchmaking mods. Preferably a SMALL list, making it manageable for players to be successful at all of the mods. The mods also can't have one extremely OP strategy that makes doing almost anything else obsolete. An example would be when Culapou exploited the crap out of Ninjutsu.

Some obvious choices:

1a) Lenshu3ng : It's a great striking mod, the engage distance means you cant rely on a rush as well as you can in RK-MMA to deal significant damage, the gravity and dojo combined makes running difficult.

1b) RK-MMA : This is as a trade off to Lenshu3ng as a striking, no grab, medium turnframe mod. RK-MMA is closer, meaning rush moves can be more punishing; however, the small dojo makes for it to be essentially impossible to run.

2) ErthTKv2 : Standard Taekkyon's 100 DM threshold meant that defending kicks and everything else relied on your wrist not breaking. And as a lot of people can tell you- that didn't happen. Even the best TK players would get Walmarted out of their block against the most juvenile kicks. ErthTK's self damage, higher DM Threshold, and no dq Dojo makes for more engaging fights in the style of 10 TF. Worth mentioning that there is a defender's advantage in this mod, but far less so.

3a) Aikidobigdojo : This mod is a tricky one to talk about. On one hand: it's a grapple wrestling sort of mod, and you'd expect one to be all about throwing and whatnot. Competitive ABD has many outlets of winning though. Some attempt to lift, some suplex, some point hold, and some even go for dismemberment. The one good thing about this mod over it's aikido brethren is the larger dojo makes shoveling less viable. Watch most Clan League matches in greykido, aikido, or RB_Greykido and you'll see exactly how big shoveling's impact is on competitive play.

3b) Spiritwrestlingfix : This mod is a wrestler's dream- you can't score points with anything other than self damage. In addition to that, the major difference between this mod and swfixed, is sumo wrist will DQ. The pros to this mod are extremely obvious, it forces players to make the game all about dqing the opponent (sort of). The problem lies that you can cause incidental damage and still force a near tripod position. Point holds happen in spiritwrestling just like they can in ABD. That being said it's changing turnframes, use of sumo DQ, and self damage makes it creative in it's assets for competition.

Other mods that will get write ups if people want to discuss them (and will add to this list if someone mentions them in thread):

Swfixed
Taekkyon
Judofrac
Greykido
Wushu3box
Spiritwrestlingfixed

So what say you guys. How many mods do you want if there were Matchmaking, and what mods would they be. Oh and also state why.
Last edited by Bodhisattva; Aug 16, 2015 at 12:39 AM.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
I fail to do anything but agree with those 3-4 mods, and the arguments why.
Personally I would be fine with only those. More than 3-4 mods would just hurt the MM I feel.
Last edited by cowmeat; Aug 15, 2015 at 11:25 PM. Reason: fixing the fucked timestamp
Personally I would rather see 2 mods for each category, since there is still a lot of variation in each, there are already 2 mods in striking

so I would add taekkyon.tbm for kicking mod

and greykido.tbm, you may say shoveling is a huge problem here, but as we saw in the match yesterday with me vs TIcux, if I was good at kido in general and/or TIcux wasnt a plate ninja, shovels arent that hard to counter and would not have been a problem
Last edited by SmallBowl; Aug 15, 2015 at 11:31 PM. Reason: fuck you jeyboard
Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.
Originally Posted by SmallBowl View Post
Personally I would rather see 2 mods for each category, since there is still a lot of variation in each, there are already 2 mods in striking

so I would add taekkyon.tbm for kicking mod

This is a tricky one since they are quite different. 120 vs 150 frames, no dojo vs dojo. 9 vs 15 grav and 100 vs 120 dm threshold.

But are they different enough is the question. The competitive style between erthtk and taekkyon has some variotion between them. But I cant say if it is unfair to add both, since I might be a bit biased.
I think it is fair, it balances itself out by having 2 mods in each category imo, so in your case there is also another grappling mod

my main problem with Hax's mod set is that there are 2 striking mods, which gives striking mod players an unfair advantage over other people
Originally Posted by SmallBowl View Post
I think it is fair, it balances itself out by having 2 mods in each category imo, so in your case there is also another grappling mod

my main problem with Hax's mod set is that there are 2 striking mods, which gives striking mod players an unfair advantage over other people

You misunderstand : I think you need to have one or the other for lenshu3ng and RK-MMA. I corrected for clarity.

Also

Originally Posted by SmallBowl
and greykido.tbm, you may say shoveling is a huge problem here, but as we saw in the match yesterday with me vs TIcux, if I was good at kido in general and/or TIcux wasnt a plate ninja, shovels arent that hard to counter and would not have been a problem

If you don't think shoveling is overpowered, you can at least probably see it is overcenteralizing. Of the 3 games of greykido we played, Parrot won 2 of the 3 games using a Shovel opener against a standard clap, and the third match, Parrot had to use a very specific opener to counter the shovel. The existence of the shovel alone made you do a very specific opener. At the end of 3 matches in Greykido of Alpha vs. Parrot yesterday, the shoveler won 3-0.
Last edited by Bodhisattva; Aug 16, 2015 at 12:22 AM.
Need help?
Just Use Thunder!
i still think that abd is pretty bad in terms of meta, as it have everything in one pile,

why i believe something spiritwrestling/related should be on?

grappling mods should be about grappling and not kicks, score holds and dms, it should be all about dq

sw have only self damage, meaning most attempts to get score/dm are likely to fail (also dm is disabled)

the mod have dq timeout, so in order to win, you need to pin down your opponent, which means that if you win- your opponent really could not do much against you

it have big dojo, so lifts and shovels are not that fatal

the only thing is, the mod you included have no wrists dq, which result in tripoding, as people feel safe to stand on wrists, while spiritwrestlingfix.tbm have ankles dq disabled, but wrists dq enabled, which prevents wrist standings and ensure that there are less chances for match to end in a draw compared to one made by siku, even if he claims it to be authentic,

because if there is dq timeout and there is no wrist dq it will lead to draw between 2 experienced players

also closer distance of spirit wrestling makes shovel a bit less lethal

tl;dr

replace swfixed by spiritwrestlingfix.tbm

we can play test it to see difference, so you will find why wrist dq is a really vital and a game changer in any grappling mod with dq timeout
Last edited by snake; Aug 16, 2015 at 12:39 AM.
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
Originally Posted by snake View Post
i still think that abd is pretty bad in terms of meta, as it have everything in one pile,

why i believe something spiritwrestling/related should be on?

grappling mods should be about grappling and not kicks, score holds and dms, it should be all about dq

sw have only self damage, meaning most attempts to get score/dm are likely to fail (also dm is disabled)

the mod have dq timeout, so in order to win, you need to pin down your opponent, which means that if you win- your opponent really could not do much against you

it have big dojo, so lifts and shovels are not that fatal

the only thing is, the mod you included have no wrists dq, which result in tripoding, as people feel safe to stand on wrists, while spiritwrestlingfix.tbm have ankles dq disabled, but wrists dq enabled, which prevents wrist standings and ensure that there are less chances for match to end in a draw compared to one made by siku, even if he claims it to be authentic,

because if there is dq timeout and there is no wrist dq it will lead to draw between 2 experienced players

also closer distance of spirit wrestling makes shovel a bit less lethal

tl;dr

replace swfixed by spiritwrestlingfix.tbm

we can play test it to see difference, so you will find why wrist dq is a really vital and a game changer in any grappling mod with dq timeout

I've played both variants. I prefer wrists dqing to them not, I simply forgot the name. I added it as a competitor for ABD for people to discuss.
Need help?
Just Use Thunder!
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
If you don't think shoveling is overpowered, you can at least probably see it is overcenteralizing. Of the 3 games of greykido we played, Parrot won 2 of the 3 games using a Shovel opener against a standard clap, and the third match, Parrot had to use a very specific opener to counter the shovel. The existence of the shovel alone made you do a very specific opener. At the end of 3 matches in Greykido of Alpha vs. Parrot yesterday, the shoveler won 3-0.

I use that opener in general anyway, and yes the shoveler technically won but I could definately argue that it was not due to the opener, he was at a disadvantage after the opener, it was clear, it was just a fantastic save

I also still think there should be 2 mods for each mod category, for the reasons stated abovepreviously
Last edited by SmallBowl; Aug 16, 2015 at 01:16 AM.
i guess i will make yet another spiritwrestling mod soon with grabs from head to chest, as from hands to elbows only as in sw4 allows to avoid grabs, but excluding leg grabs to keep the meta and not turning it into catch the legs asap as lowest common

will test and post the mod later
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15