Ranking
I really think moderation should be tighter than it is, it's the same people in every thread that have never read the rules and don't even read anything apart from them OP that post something that's not really related to the current discussion and is just dumb. Happens in every single thread.

Also I'm tired of people making claims without backing it up or just saying something along the lines of "this is what happens because I know it does."

I like Pig's post as he plays devil's advocate and makes sure it's not just a violent circle jerk, harsher moderation is really needed with harsher punishments for repeat offenders.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[4:37 PM] ponf: y'all might think i'm not wild enough to send dick pics over toribash
[4:37 PM] ponf: you'd be wrong
uwu i wuv you uwu
Interesting thread idea.

I want to throw in that, personally, I hate it when discussions become quote block/reply fests. I had a longer drawn out post explaining why. But basically context gets lost, points get ignored, and the thinking overall just seems wrong to me whenever a discussion degenerates into a quote block/reply fest. Main ideas and contentions rarely get discussed, and instead individual statements get critiqued with very little or no consideration of how they work in unison with other statements or ideas presented. Also, as these block/quote argument fests go on the text itself as a whole becomes very unpleasant to read and hard to follow. Not at all like an actual discussion or debate. As a discussion progresses I should have trouble keeping track of all the established and/or ongoing concepts and counterarguments, not keeping track of which quote/reply tree I am in.

Again, I had a longer, more drawn out post explaining why I dislike quote block/reply fests. But since I don't expect these things to go away anytime soon, and don't actively engage in the discussion boards anywho. I'll keep those ideas to myself for another time.
Last edited by GoodBox; Oct 4, 2015 at 12:01 PM.
(>^_^)>
Originally Posted by GoodBox View Post
Interesting thread idea.

I want to throw in that, personally, I hate it when discussions become quote block/reply fests. I had a longer drawn out post explaining why. But basically context gets lost, points get ignored, and the thinking overall just seems wrong to me whenever a discussion degenerates into a quote block/reply fest. Main ideas and contentions rarely get discussed, and instead individual statements get critiqued with very little or no consideration of how they work in unison with other statements or ideas presented. Also, as these block/quote argument fests go on the text itself as a whole becomes very unpleasant to read and hard to follow. Not at all like an actual discussion or debate. As a discussion progresses I should have trouble keeping track of all the established and/or ongoing concepts and counterarguments, not keeping track of which quote/reply tree I am in.

Again, I had a longer, more drawn out post explaining why I dislike quote block/reply fests. But since I don't expect these things to go away anytime soon, and don't actively engage in the discussion boards anywho. I'll keep those ideas to myself for another time.

One solution to this is that moderators take more time to try to keep up and explain what it happening in the discussion as it happens. I have done this in the past and it is generally received well (just the process of summarising who said what to whom and the points which have been proven wrong and the points which are still in contention). Unfortunately not many people have the time to do this (including me at the moment) so it is unlikely to become the norm any time soon. I will do my best though.

One thing I would like to see more of is the use of spoilers in people's posts. They are a fantastic way to separate your arguments into manageable chunks with specific targets and would make reading threads a lot easier (hopefully resulting in more people reading the thread before posting on it and a higher post quality overall).
Good morning sweet princess
Problem with discussion threads is that the topics are always bullshit and are never about real world problems (toribash related or not). When a topic comes up its the same 4 people arguing with each other all acting like idiots, no new people ever come to join the discussion and when they do, they get ignored and the flame posts get responded to instead.

Sometimes there is a serious topic like Poverty in Europe, or America. But again its the same 4 rich kids who live of there parents and who have no idea about reality talking shit, thinking they know it all.

Toribash related discussions get shut down way to fast when they are serious problems. E.g. Is Toribash failing, is hampa a bad owner, Are the GMs not doing a good job. When these REAL issues are brought up staff instantly shut them down because they have heard it all before, yet still nothing is done. People should be allowed to discus this 100x a day until change happens.

Summary: Discussion thread sucks because, same 4 people in each thread. Serious issues (toribash related) are shut down.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand almost forgot.

Nothing ever comes of the discussion threads so what the fuck is the point.
Last edited by FistofLife; Oct 4, 2015 at 05:35 PM.
Originally Posted by FistofLife View Post
Nothing ever comes of the discussion threads so what the fuck is the point.

lol what did you expect? Did you really think you could solve poverty in Europe or America so easily?

It's a discussion mate, it's for fun.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
The "problem" with discussion was touched upon with Gorman's first post but I think everyone's too busy focusing on what the Discussion board shouldn't be as opposed to explaining what it should be. Let me quote the comment for reference:
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
You know how much I care when someone doesn't agree with me? Not at all - in fact I prefer that people disagree because it furthers the discussion. One of the rules of this sub is that if no one disagrees then the thread is closed, a rule that has been aggressively enforced in the past to the point that if there's no disagreement within a handful of posts the thread is locked.

I think here lies the crux of the issue. Whether or not you (using "you" in the general sense, not addressing Gorman specifically) care if someone disagrees with you, I think people see (lengthy) disagreements as a stalling of the discussion at hand rather than a furthering of it. As most discussions are subject to opinion (and rarely do people voice their controversial ones) you generally see people arguing over a situation where neither party is wrong.

It's very easy to write the Discussion board off as a whole when it encourages (read as: doesn't discourage) two people locking horns over a non-issue for pages and pages because neither participant can say "I guess we just disagree, clearly there's truth to both sides but I can't accept x over y because of z", where z is a perfectly acceptable reason. This (in my opinion) hangs the discussion out to dry on one particular disagreement, making it difficult to discuss other points related to the topic over the ramblings. Sadly I think the only solution is hard-line moderation and a very specific set of rules that detail how to discuss things over the more general "post a source etc.", "dont be nasty" ones we currently have. Only issue with this approach is that whilst your quality of discussion will go up you become less accessible to the average user and the mods will have to deal with a very, very upset Gorman.
collect snots from the nose
this is exactly why discussion should be repurposed and debate should be brought back, along with ejections replacing infractions. I don't understand why discussion has turned into this serious-as-shit board where the same ten people recycle moot issues like gay marriage.

edit: just delete the board, abort mission.
Last edited by KiTFoX; Oct 5, 2015 at 06:45 PM.
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
lol what did you expect? Did you really think you could solve poverty in Europe or America so easily?

It's a discussion mate, it's for fun.

I'm on about Toribash related discussions.
Originally Posted by KiTFoX View Post
this is exactly why discussion should be repurposed and debate should be brought back, along with ejections replacing infractions. I don't understand why discussion has turned into this serious-as-shit board where the same ten people recycle moot issues like gay marriage.

edit: just delete the board, abort mission.

Repurposing as a debate board isn't a real solution. You complain about Discussion being too serious, yet you advocate a complete restructure with stricter rules and a formal argument format. When Pig isn't intentionally disrupting the flow of the argument, I personally enjoy discussing real-world issues with people, especially if they're from around the world because it allows for multiple viewpoints to be heard. As Pig said above, most of the time it's just lighthearted informal debating. Deleting isn't a solution either because then we have nowhere to yell at Pig and sometimes Hyde when they're being an ass.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
the reason I said bring back debate and delete discussion is because I'd rather see these dumb arguments be secluded to a subforum where you get kicked out if you're too dumb. personally I think merging disc and OT into a general discussion with more lax rules than what this forum has now would be much better. having this be a main forum is beyond dumb with what it has become. I don't understand the need on a game forum to debate abortion and shit. if you wanna debate ideals send PMs this ain't a platform to hone your arguing skills. In a perfect world there is no debate forum but you guys would cry if we straight up did away with it.
Last edited by KiTFoX; Oct 6, 2015 at 12:23 AM.