ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post

Here in the markets, there are a large number of texture makers that work in a higher resolution than Toribash's native 128x128. Most (myself included) find it easier to work in the larger format. But, unfortunately, since TB can only handle up to 128 pixels square, posting previews in a higher resolution is somewhat deceiving, which is why we have the disclaimer rule. With a disclaimer, a buyer is notified that his purchase might not look the same ingame as it does in the preview... but do you know how different?

Most artists I know like to work in 256x256. This is generally a safe working resolution as long as you keep in mind that it will be reduced and make changes to compensate. But how about those working above that? I've seen some amazing sets done in 512x512. If you ever wondered how different the preview quality and the reduced quality will be, here is an illustration.

The first black square is native 128x128. The whole image is 512x512.

Yep, that's right. 512x512 is 16 times bigger than 128x128. If you think about it the opposite direction, it's 16 less quality ingame.

Here's a series of heads comparing 512 to 128. The first image has a 20 pixel line, a 10 pixel line, a 5 pixel line, and a 1 pixel line. At 512, the red 1pixel line is reduced to a pink blur. The second head shows what happens to highlights, and the third head shows what happens to details.

All this to say... When there's a disclaimer on it... know what you're selling, know what you're buying.

Not so recently the feature to be able to buy 512 head textures came out. This means that if you upload a 512 texture while using a 512 head, it'll look exactly like the preview.

Last edited by ravenger; Jul 26, 2010 at 04:25 PM.