Ranking
Admins of today are okay i guess, they're trying their hardest but there are some who are trying to be like admins of the past hinting reta which he solely admits to not giving a fuck about anything and not giving a fuck attitude.
Well, we should also consider that the game was released 11 years ago if I'm correct, it's impressive to see it running today with 400+ members. The only thing I'm just looking for is more features for the forum, I know there will be a new game so that's why I don't care about the current game that much. Hopefully new ideas are established to bring up the community again. Keep the good work Creati0n & staff(most of them), I support all of you.

Professional Graphic Designer
Former [Crooks]
Leader | [TA] Member | Ex-[Latin] member
[Mexican] Player |Fan Club
Red names are doing their jobs in their assigned corners, what more are people supposed to expect from them? It's not like it was in 08/09 where there's a full team of 8 red name admins with nothing to do, that would be pretty dumb.

They have to take all the shit from users that think everything is their fault, pretty daft when you consider they don't have a whole lot to do with changes outside their respective areas - that's the domain of the real horrible people like me and suo. ;)
Kinda funny that "staff were better years ago" statements pop up a lot when the people behind everything are the same ones from back then.
Even when a red wants to make a major change to their area it goes via us.

Of course (as I always have to say) if there's a legitimate serious complaint about someone then PM me about it, but seeing as real complaints that aren't from other staff are incredibly rare I don't expect much.

Oh, and as always keep in mind that this game is fuelled by volunteers that are using their personal time to help out; without them this place would've died a long time ago.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
There's a weird staff/non-staff divide that is being perpetuated with threads like these that kinda needs to stop.
Being staff does not separate you from the user base, or it definitely shouldn't.

I can speak now as an ex-admin and now normal team member of ES which is kinda cool.
When I was GM lead there are a lot of things you have to learn to deal with on the go that nobody really tells you about. You get blamed for everything to do with you user group because that obviously comes with the job, and no one actually sees 90% of the work you do. Dealing with complaints isn't something that you get used to either, and there's an obvious leaning towards loyalty. You don't like someone accusing a member of your team, but that's partly why the higher ups are there. To bring cold objectivity to it.
I can name at least 3 times I argued against points where I had to talk with suo/skul/hanz0 about it and realised I needed to re adjust my position. Being defensive of your staff group means you care and are therefore effective in your role as lead.

All of the current leads, save Icky, are pretty new to their jobs as I understand it. Rai knows what he's doing cos he's been round ages but hasn't necessarily headed up a user group as he is doing now. Gonna take time to learn about the role and stuff. Will probably still be learning a year down the line.
The fact that the groups seem to be running smoothly and doing their jobs actively and effectively is kind of amazing tbh, having been a lead when that wasn't strictly the case. Getting things running smoothly is the base on which real improvements can be made, but obviously these things take time. As skul said, volunteers.

I guess tl;dr don't seperate users from staff, everyone is here cos they enjoy toribash, running a user group is harder than even the user group themselves appreciate, current admins are doing A+ imo
So Erth, do you think instead of "expecting" staff to know things on the get-go, to just give them some training instead, like I said in my previous comment,

I don't want to hate staff, but when I have to have some sort of interaction it just turns into a clusterfuck, and even when I have a question they assume the wrong and nearly threatened with banning/infactions, I understand it's just misunderstandings most of the time, and they have a right to think that way cause you know how "cancerous" people on the forums can be, but instead of also being trigger happy to instead keep feelings and staff powers somewhat separate or try to be more understanding.
But I understand staff are just people and I do wish some certain staff know that too.

It also makes me happy that I've met some staff that are pretty cool and helpful (or try to be).
|Evil|
I don't exist
This is an extremely biased thread if you're talking about admins separately, due to many people having different opinions on certain admins. Therefore this argument is kinda difficult to debate. Now, if you're talking about the administrators as a whole, there is plenty of room for improvement, but you can't just expect that immediately due to people having lives and such, so here's a little idea.

Admin Poll, every couple months or so, people vote on which staff member should be admin, and of course, the "candidates", are obviously gonna be people who have been a staff member for a relatively long time, I feel like this could really improve the admin position as a whole.
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
So Erth, do you think instead of "expecting" staff to know things on the get-go, to just give them some training instead, like I said in my previous comment

Staff aren't expected to know anything and everything from the get-go and to not fuck up from the day they get into the position. For ES and MS, there are the trial positions which prepare you for the full position. Even after you get into the full position there are new things to learn, that's why expecting new full staff to do a perfect job is just unrealistic. Throughout their time in staff they can still learn new things, butmost importantly they get accustomed to the position, in time they'll know how to perform in their current job, but again, you can't expect perfection. We have supervisors so we can have somebody above us tell us if we do shit wrong. You can't get much further "training" to be completely honest.

I don't want to hate staff, but when I have to have some sort of interaction it just turns into a clusterfuck, and even when I have a question they assume the wrong and nearly threatened with banning/infactions, I understand it's just misunderstandings most of the time, and they have a right to think that way cause you know how "cancerous" people on the forums can be, but instead of also being trigger happy to instead keep feelings and staff powers somewhat separate or try to be more understanding.
But I understand staff are just people and I do wish some certain staff know that too.

It also makes me happy that I've met some staff that are pretty cool and helpful (or try to be).

These are actually pretty serious cases you are talking about. If you have honestly lived through this you should definitely complain. If staff members are being trigger happy, disregarding your arguments and threatening you with infractions/bans, higher ups would definitely like to know about it.
quack
Originally Posted by royal View Post
I am referring to those who show no sense of professionalism at all. When I was staff, I was courteous, kind and respectful to the fellow people of this community (except a select few, sorry).

This, being Event Squad and their ridiculous namechanges and free profile customization.
Staff back then didn't do many things differently as we do now. I've been shit on as a new user by staff and that was because I was wrong, and people have a hard time realizing that. You learn that once you stop being a whiny bitch about everything, and look at your infractions/bans in a different way, we often try to come to a compromise. Permanent bans aren't permanent, long bans are often shortened when a compromise is met. Acting like you know how to do the job better does not make us want to help you, so we won't. When a police officer gives you a ticket because you are driving 30mph over the speed limit, you shut the fuck up, and pay the ticket off instead of resorting to throwing a fit and getting into more trouble.

What's this about wanting Fish back? The guy made super nice updates to the forum, yes. However, if you think the staff now is "mean" and "wrong", then you need to do some research on Fish.

EDIT: and lol "i dont see the clans admin wtf!!! what does he do"

Admin Poll, every couple months or so, people vote on which staff member should be admin, and of course, the "candidates", are obviously gonna be people who have been a staff member for a relatively long time, I feel like this could really improve the admin position as a whole.

And when people think like this? You bet our opinion is better than yours. People like this don't even know what they're talking about, an admin is the lead of a usergroup. Whoever is best fit to run a usergroup will show without a poll. We don't need to vote to find out that Creati0n deserves MS lead, or Icky with ES.
Last edited by TyZi; Sep 24, 2017 at 08:26 AM.
Originally Posted by Kaneki333 View Post
I'm Brazilian, i'm alredy fucked every day i wake up

Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Are admins able to gain such a responsibility if they desired? If they put their selves out there, would they be able to do such things? If they don't want to, I get that, but regardless, lower admins or higher admins, change and innovation are important imo. It's not good or bad and they shouldn't do or don't, don't get me wrong. I'm not judging.

Yes, definitely. That's how Market Squad came into existence, Market used to be moderated by lmods and a dedicated smod or two and it was pretty rough. That's also definitely how Event Squad came to its current form too, as various admins proposed slightly different ideas of the same sort of thing (e.g. ToriAgents, Gamekeepers, Promo-Team) and we eventually settled on an event focused squad that is primarily not involved with moderation when possible.

If admins wish to do these sorts of things, all they really need to do is bring it up for discussion in an appropriate staff board and get it approved by one of the people who can approve it. Usually those people wait for a bit of discussion, but it's a pretty straightforward process otherwise.

Emphasis mine: I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment, when it is possible. It's a two way road, it's much easier for us to be understanding if you're also understanding. That said, I'd like for all of our staff members to be able to uphold their end of that responsibility, and if you have any particular issues with that, please let me or skulfuk know.
Squad Squad Squad lead?
The standardization of Toribash Squad roles may have gone too far!
Originally Posted by sakuraburst View Post

Yeeeeea, that aint gonna work.
Admins are pulled in from people who have experience in an area and a ton of time to burn doing it. Most the time it needs a quick switch to the most competent person since when an admin burns out they're gone. At that point the next person in that area's food chain typically get the job unless there's a specific reason not to trust them with it.

In rare cases time has to be taken, eg the market which had me watching over it for 9 months, with a couple of those months being used to get Creati0n into shape for it.

If it was down to a popularity contest then we'd end up with people who don't know what they're doing, and idiots that can't handle their drink thinking it's funny to play "merge the forum".

The people at the top have been doing this for ~9 - 10 years now, and we've had plenty of time and experience to know it'd only end badly.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you