Toribash
Original Post
the game review megathread
So today I was looking through a, lets say, online store, and was wondering if a certain game, namely Hunted The Demon's Forge, was worth "buying". So I went to look in Gaming Chat for an opinion from the community's gamers but realized that there was no thread to ask for a quick opinion in. So I had a brilliant idea, why not make a thread where anyone can get some insight about how good a game is without having to dig through the forums to find the game's thread?

tl;dr: In this thread, you ask the community about certain games, or provide your own insight into other people's said games.

lets start with Hunted The Demon's Forge

other mods: sticky this if you feel like it
<&Fish>: did you just infract the toribot?
<&Fish>: you're fired
<JSnuffMARS> sounds like a drug-addiction or mastu(I'll censor that word)
<bishopONE>: also yeah fisting
<mwah> Gynx is it true you got admin over hero because hes from pakistan
I was looking at Magicka. I know it gets pretty good reviews and seemingly everyone likes it, but I also saw it apparently has a few bugs. I also noticed it has a lot of DLC. I'm looking for a reason to pick it up, because while it is $10, I still don't want to waste money on something I might hate. The demo doesn't answer a lot of my questions.
Omnia Mori
sed Evici Amor
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I was looking at Magicka. I know it gets pretty good reviews and seemingly everyone likes it, but I also saw it apparently has a few bugs. I also noticed it has a lot of DLC. I'm looking for a reason to pick it up, because while it is $10, I still don't want to waste money on something I might hate. The demo doesn't answer a lot of my questions.

The only major bug in Magicka that "annoys" the gameplay is the summoning bug. In which when you summon monsters such as trees, phoenix, etc. they are either defective, or do harm to you and/or your team. What makes Magicka so fun is that you're always discovering new spells and different ways to use those spells which keeps the game new. Different items and weapons are always being dropped by killed enemies and those also have different affects on your gameplay, depending on the item/weapon(s) abilities and stats. The game has a total of 13 Chapters, but from 1-13 the chapters get longer and harder as you progress, making you feel like you've achieved a great deal after every chapter (and the end always has great boss fights). And although I haven't tried it out, there is a new PvP feature which is said to be pretty awesome as well, though I'm not sure how it works out. The last kind of personal disappointment in this game is the movement. You have to click and drag your mouse up to move in that direction, this is also used in aiming your spells and it can get rather annoying when fighting huge bosses. Other than that, I really recommend this to anyone looking for an addictive action game. It's well worth the price, and it's even currently in the Steam Summer Sales for $6.69.
Pushing powder down my musket so I may smite another opp.
I put a switch and a beam on my blunderbuss, your hood is not safe.
Originally Posted by Mwah View Post
get longer and harder as you progress

:>

Also, I see. So the only thing I should be really worried about is the movement and the summons.

I'll probably pick it up, then, because it sounds pretty awesome.
Omnia Mori
sed Evici Amor
Originally Posted by Thorn
:>

Also, I see. So the only thing I should be really worried about is the movement and the summons.

I'll probably pick it up, then, because it sounds pretty awesome.

ha-ha

Yeah, other than that it's worth the buy, although the Summer sale recently ended for this, and it's back to $10
Originally Posted by sid View Post
lets start with Hunted The Demon's Forge

Right, so this game is all about the hack n' slash faced paced fighting with a hint of adventuring. If you're into graphics you wont be disappointed because this game is very hi-resolution. The monsters and bosses are really creatively designed and fun to fight. The gameplay itself reminds me of any kind of 3rd person shooter. You can hide behind objects like walls and scattered rubble as well as use different abilities in your attacks. The only real noticeable flaw is in single player it's almost impossible to beat some of the bosses laid out before you. It's like they want you to play Co-Op just to have that very necessary back up (although I do believe this is only available in the console versions). If you are getting it for the consoles it's about $20-30 and for the PC it's about $40. In my personal opinion, I don't believe the game is addictive and plain good enough to be priced this high, but I guess you're mostly paying for the graphics and design. The gameplay tends to get very repetitive.
I'll try it out, if the game pulls any ff13 bosses on me I'll consider taking it off my desktop
<&Fish>: did you just infract the toribot?
<&Fish>: you're fired
<JSnuffMARS> sounds like a drug-addiction or mastu(I'll censor that word)
<bishopONE>: also yeah fisting
<mwah> Gynx is it true you got admin over hero because hes from pakistan
Originally Posted by Lume View Post
Looking for a review of Arma II free from someone who has played it?

Okay. First of all, ArmA II is not for someone looking for an average shoot em up game like Call of Duty or Bad Company. You simply can't just run in guns blazing, and not always because you will get killed if you do. The game scale is massive. Mile long maps. You will find most of your time traveling and setting things up for your team, rather than actual combat.

That out of that way, ArmA II is an excellent game. I'll try to keep this short.

Strategy is everything in this game, and it really shows through. There is a heavy emphasis on communication, and there are radio channels for almost everything (Vehicle, Direct, Command, Global, Side, etc). You can expect to have myriad of voices playing into your speakers every 5 minutes, and it really adds to the experience. If you work well with your team, you'll find the game fun and profitable, but if you try to be a lone wolf you may often find yourself trudging through a forest for literal hours. Not to mention lack of backup or medical support.

You will find yourself traveling a lot. There is no fast travel in ArmA. You have to get there. Usually you can find some vehicular transport or you can call your buddies on the radio for a lift to the newest objective. That probably sounds appalling, but it's worth it. And a break from the action is good every once in a while, considering how stressful combat in ArmA II can be.

Which is my next point. Combat. There is too much to say about this. Usually you will find yourself fighting on foot, particularly while you are learning, and not savvy with aircraft or tank controls. And infantry combat is a little more than exciting. One bullet will kill you, maybe two. Discretion and strategy are everything, and you will often find yourself cowering behind a wall, looking for an opportunity to find your shooter. The combat adds to the large scale atmosphere, and you can find yourself telling your teammates where an enemy is, asking a helicopter to get rid of a sniper, asking for ammo, warning your teammates of an approaching tank, and much more. There is a constant air of risk and excitement in a combat zone, and you will love every bit. Be warned: bullet physics are existent, and in much more depth. For instance, a bullet will go slightly below your sight cross hair due to the bore being a little lower than the sight.

The game is ridiculously immersive. From shooting down helicopters, dragging your wounded teammate to cover, risking your life to revive downed players, lazing targets for air strikes, sneaking around a town with your squad, watching an enemy lance from a sniper perch waiting for the right moment, throwing smoke to move to a safer location, running away from a wall of enemy soldiers as you watch most of your team get mowed down... You will love every bit. Even the boring parts have something to appreciate.

The only problems are the occasional bug and the gargantuan amount of interface hotkeys. You have a button for your compass, your watch, your map, your GPS, turning your headlights on/off, saluting, sitting down to rest, journal/diary, and more. It can be intimidating to newer players, but you'll get the hang of it eventually.

In closing, ArmA II is a hardcore war simulator, and it shows. You will either find yourself extremely bored, or in love.
Last edited by Thorn; Jul 16, 2011 at 02:02 AM.
Omnia Mori
sed Evici Amor
hmm... anyone here played and can review Final Fantasy Dissidia 2? for the psp?
THIS WAS ORIGINALLY THE WORST SIGNATURE EVER, FOR YOUR SAKE IT WAS FIXED. ~ Vox
Any reviews on Dwarf Fortress?
I feel like trying it but I am not quiet sure, since it might be a little difficult to learn how to play.