Toribash
Original Post
Using .FON fonts in Photoshop CS4?
I recently downloaded and installed a font to use for a project I'm working on. There's only one problem - Photoshop (CS4) won't load it.

Photoshop, upon trying to write using the font (the font appears in the drop down menu for fonts) and the text tool , gives the unhelpful message that "something prevented the text engine from being initialised".
Now I immediately thought that this was due to the font being in .FON format whereas all my other fonts are .ttf as far as I know. So I looked for a ttf version of the font... There was none. Anywhere. Not hide nor hair of one.

So, I came here to seek help. Is there anything I've done wrong? Can I get the font to behave itself and load in Photoshop? If not, is there an easy way to convert the font to ttf format without loss of quality or distortion? Would, say, updating my obsolete software to Photoshop CS5 help at all?
All online font converters don't work because they don't support .FON files, and yeah I googled n' shit and got the exact same results.

I honestly just can't be f'ed downloading more software to convert a .fon to a .ttf, which is why I asked whether there was something I could do with photoshop or whatever. Not much point downloading programs to use only once ever for one font right?
In other words: Downloading font conversion software to use only once = last resort.

I'd much rather receive help on getting Photoshop to load the damn thing.
Originally Posted by 4zb41 View Post
All online font converters don't work because they don't support .FON files, and yeah I googled n' shit and got the exact same results.

I honestly just can't be f'ed downloading more software to convert a .fon to a .ttf, which is why I asked whether there was something I could do with photoshop or whatever. Not much point downloading programs to use only once ever for one font right?
In other words: Downloading font conversion software to use only once = last resort.

I'd much rather receive help on getting Photoshop to load the damn thing.

Supported extensions for conversion are :
otf fon pfb font afm otb bdf fnt abf bdf pfm pfa ofm pfa pfb cid ttc hqx pcf sfd dfont bin

You can convert these extensions to ttf otf fon pfb dfont afm

From the last link page. Did you seriously tried it?
Link me that font, I will try to do few things with it. Also.. It's been a day since you have posted this question, can't you just save your time and convert that goddamn font with downloaded program?
*sigh* I suppose I could just convert it. I just don't like having one-use software bloating my hdd

Link is here.