Toribash
Original Post
Making textures transparent (Using PS-CS3)
First tutorial evar for me

It seems a lot of people have trouble with this, so i thought it would make a good tutorial subject :]

I'll be using pictures, to make it easier.

Step 1.

After creating a texture, go to the Channels Tab as follows. It's next to the Layers Tab in the Layers window.

Step 2.

Create a new channel, with the highlighted button. It will automatically be named "Alpha" and be filled with black, before you can do anything, fill the layer with white.

(Thats because White = opaque areas, and Black = Transparent.)

Step 3.

Select the areas you want to make transparent, using whatever tool you want, or by pressing Ctrl+LMB on a layer (that selects the layer's content)

Step 4.

Go back to the Channels Tab and fill the still selected part with any color black. The darker the color, the more transparency.

Save your texture as a TGA, then a little window pops up, asking what quality you want, I personally always choose 32/pixel (the highest), but you can do whatever you want. and after that, you are done

-----------------------------------------------------

I hope this helped for all of you texture makers out there.
Last edited by Mapleleaf; Jun 15, 2008 at 04:54 PM.
Can you directly save it as .tga? O_O
Incredible tut. Rep is removed so one big huggy for you! (lol)
Well, a little window pops up, asking what quality you want, I personally always choose 32/pixel (the highest), but you can do whatever you want.
all I have is paint at my disposal. is there a way to make transperent texture with that? & if not. could you direct me to a site where I can download a photoshop thingy for free?
photoshop is never for free, you either have to buy it or your computer has to start off with it
20/6/2008 [Triforce] → 1/12/2008 [UrbanUnit] → 26/4/2015 [Addicted]
Mówiem po polsku źle; fully qualified med student
I am having problems. :C

First of all, I have Photoshop CS. Would that keep it from working? So the first thing I did was I "made" a texture by just randomly scribbling. Then I went into channels and selected new channel. It said "Alpha 1" like you said it would. I am kinda confused on Step 3. So you said I should select the areas I want to be transparent. Is this supposed to be on my texture layer or the alpha layer? Well anyway I selected the part I wanted to be transparent on my texture layer and then clicked channels and made it black. It didn't work. What am I doing wrong?
[Triforce]SilentStrike –=:2nd dan Blackbelt:=–

Originally Posted by FNugget View Post
My old mac used to pick up radio when I touched the audio cable to my braces.

You select it on the Texture layer, then you fill it with black, on the alpha channel layer thing.
Ok. I figured it out already, but thanks.
[Triforce]SilentStrike –=:2nd dan Blackbelt:=–

Originally Posted by FNugget View Post
My old mac used to pick up radio when I touched the audio cable to my braces.

Originally Posted by kcdog76 View Post
all I have is paint at my disposal. is there a way to make transperent texture with that? & if not. could you direct me to a site where I can download a photoshop thingy for free?

Theres something thats like photoshop called gimpshop and it's free to download here. http://www.gimpshop.com/download.shtml
theres an easier way if u dont use layers, just open it up and instead of background color just make it transparent...works with normal gimp to and u save directly as a .tga and make sure the top box is unchecked...

Want to try something completely new to the Toribash Forums? Try the 10 Push-up Challenge!