ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Tabletop Thread (talk and stuff)
well, i didnt found a thread to this. i thought just hey, lets make a thread about it to talk with people!

for people who dont know what tabletop is :
Miniature wargaming is a recreational hobby where players simulate a battle, which is played out using small figurines to represent the land, sea and/or air units involved. Many miniatures games are played on a floor or tabletop, with terrain represented by miniature scenery (hills, forests, roads, fences, etc.). Movement of the miniatures is regulated using a measuring device such as a ruler, tape measure, cut sticks or other prepared standardised-length instruments. However, like boardgames, miniature games can also be played using gridded terrain (demarcated into squares or hexagons) or even gameboards.

(from wikipedia)

if u want to know more about it :

Info

so, now does anyone of u guys plays tabeltop games ? warhammer fantasy, warhammer 40k and such? or one of the other types?
im thinking about getting a warhammer 40k armee to christmas...(prefering chaos space marines )

also just feel free to talk about everything u want(topic related...!)
but i would wish to know how u guys came on tabletop, why do u play it. also how long do u play it already

if i have to add something etc. etc. just tell it to me and i will change it...
Parrot | Tabby | Nike | [Midnight] | Foxy | Deridor | Joel

Helping admins since 2013 (Can't ya'll leave this alone?)
Reta's Bitch, Property of Kriegery, Bribed by Bird, Tinerr 4 President.
Awaken, awaken, awaken, awaken. Take the land, that must be taken. Awaken, awaken, awaken, awaken. Devour worlds, smite forsaken
Used to play warhammer. Chaos were my first army too, they are pretty neat. If I rebuilt I'd play Tau.

In fantasy I played a few races then settled on skaven.
I play a couple of casual tabletop games online on another forum. These are more D&D style than the figurine style ones though, although taken much more lightly.
Currently have a horrible character who is weak, but quick, and has very little HP so he's gonna die pretty fast.

I'm pretty fond of the Roll to Dodge style of games, but I've never seen the interest in a game keep up until its completion. The thing I like about these types of games is that you're not limited to what your input on a controller or keyboard does. I could, for example, decide to catch a squirrel, get it high on some narcotic of some sort, and then stuff it in one of my companion's pants.
Always liked the idea of the miniature games, but never got into it. I do love the first series of WH40K pc games though, as different as they are from the tabletop.
Originally Posted by 4zb41 View Post
I play a couple of casual tabletop games online on another forum. These are more D&D style than the figurine style ones though, although taken much more lightly.
Currently have a horrible character who is weak, but quick, and has very little HP so he's gonna die pretty fast.

I'm pretty fond of the Roll to Dodge style of games, but I've never seen the interest in a game keep up until its completion. The thing I like about these types of games is that you're not limited to what your input on a controller or keyboard does. I could, for example, decide to catch a squirrel, get it high on some narcotic of some sort, and then stuff it in one of my companion's pants.
Always liked the idea of the miniature games, but never got into it. I do love the first series of WH40K pc games though, as different as they are from the tabletop.

if u mean the warhamemr 40k series with addons... (dark crusade, soul storm etc.) the tabletop figures are taken from the games. so there is no armee which u dont know from the game(so far i think) .... (besides tyranides, but that was the most popular mod for the game.)
its also pretty expensive to start with it. if u want a good start u have to pay here around 200€ :S ... so if u think its worth to get go for it.

i dont know really what D&D style means? could u explain it a bit more or give me a link? sounds pretty interesting, only thing i know which comes close to what u said is P&P (pen and paper) also drakensang stuff ^^
-----
Originally Posted by ImmortalCow View Post
Used to play warhammer. Chaos were my first army too, they are pretty neat. If I rebuilt I'd play Tau.

In fantasy I played a few races then settled on skaven.

well fantasy sounds nice, i think later i will try it out too... but for now ill just loved the warhammer 40k games and books, so i decided to start with them.
ill go for chaos first because the acutall beginner set is with them. dont want to get a new armee if i already have a bunch of another ^^
Last edited by Unicorn; Dec 12, 2012 at 12:20 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Parrot | Tabby | Nike | [Midnight] | Foxy | Deridor | Joel

Helping admins since 2013 (Can't ya'll leave this alone?)
Reta's Bitch, Property of Kriegery, Bribed by Bird, Tinerr 4 President.
Awaken, awaken, awaken, awaken. Take the land, that must be taken. Awaken, awaken, awaken, awaken. Devour worlds, smite forsaken
Originally Posted by BlubKill View Post
i dont know really what D&D style means? could u explain it a bit more or give me a link? sounds pretty interesting, only thing i know which comes close to what u said is P&P (pen and paper) also drakensang stuff ^^
-----

well fantasy sounds nice, i think later i will try it out too... but for now ill just loved the warhammer 40k games and books, so i decided to start with them.
ill go for chaos first because the acutall beginner set is with them. dont want to get a new armee if i already have a bunch of another ^^

Pen & Paper's probably accurate. Have a Game Master (GM) he sets the rules, tells you what's going on, yells at you for causing too much trouble etc. Tell GM what you want your guy to do (e.g. formerly mentioned squirrel-in-pants prank) and he rolls however many dice to determine how successful it is.

Yeah I mean the Dawn of War games and their expansions. You're correct in that I don't know what the Tyrannids are, but I have heard of them. I should go get that mod.
Races I know of through the games are: Space Marines, Imperial Guard (my favourite), Da Orks, Eldar, Chaos, Necrons, Tau, Sisters of Battle and Dark Eldar.

I wish I knew how to play the Tau properly.
Tau is easy to play. Mass stealth squads and control the entire map. Mass hammerheads and firewarriors and only engage if you have good positioning. Harass with steatlhs.
Used to play alot D&D when I was younger (11-12). My friend had all the books available, and it was fucking heavy! Also, I remember how long it took to make a character sheet. It was a miracle if someone printed it.
Lately I've played Battlestar Galactica (cards n stuff, find the spies, awesome stuff).