ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Level Design Competition
THERE ARE NO PRIZES FOR THIS COMPETITION I have no TC HOWEVER DONATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED FOR IT

So currently, I'm making my first game using Blender (http://www.blender.org/). It is a simple platformer, and the character (you) is a ball. The objective of the game is you have to:
(1) get to the end of the level in a short amount of time
(2) pick up 'power cubes' [might rename that...].

Anyways, I'm constantly churning out new levels for this thing, but I thought the other day, "Hey, why not get some other creative people in on this thing, too!" So here it is:

Elements included (but not limited to):
The 'power cubes' which are pretty much pick-ups.
The ability of you, the sphere, to scale walls. (similar to Spider-Man)
Moving platforms (up/down, side-to-side, and forward/backward)
See-saws

The physics engine (called Bullet) is great in Blender, so physics is a large part of this.

RULES

-Be creative
-^Use physics to your advandage
-The drawings of the levels don't have to be complex, and they don't have to be in 3D (although that would be helpful
-Obviously they must be your own work.
-If anything (such as platforms and such) are going to move, an explanation somewhere would be helpful; whether it's in the pic as arrows & lines, or in the post as words I just need an explanation.
-Try to only make the level go forward, but turning is fine... I.E. don't make it turn back on itself [no U-Turns]
-Make the level readable, make sure I know which way things go (remember 2D is fine)
-Max of 3 levels entered (preferrably all in the same post, please)

I WILL DO MY BEST TO RENDER THE ENTRIES THAT I CHOOSE

I'm planning on making about 20+ levels for this game, so I'm going to accept around 5-10 entries.

What I will do with winning entries:
-Obviously render and include them in my game.
-Give credit where credit is due

This is great for people who want to get into video game production.

For anyone who says (or even thinks for that matter), that I'm lazy, and thats why I'm making this challenge is WRONG. I'm making levels too, it's not that I'm not creative; I'm just am open to other ideas.

GAME WILL BE RELEASED AS FREEWARE. MY DATE OF REALEASE RIGHT NOW (rough estimate) SHOULD BE SOMEWHERE IN LATE MARCH

SOME SAMPLE LEVELS (extremely rough though)

2 types of levels: Traditional, Maze, and Climbing (#1 is traditional, ex. of maze would be pic #2, #3 is a climbing one)

4th picture is an example of what I'm looking for (from you guys)

Edit: photos are slightly outdated.
Attached Images
lvl1.jpg (77.7 KB, 47 views)
lvl2.jpg (38.4 KB, 40 views)
lvl3.jpg (29.9 KB, 26 views)
Sample.jpg (81.8 KB, 35 views)
Last edited by freckletoe; Feb 14, 2009 at 04:32 AM.
nice freckle. makin a game? gl.

i would try to come up with something, but i didnt really get wat u want ppl to do. i know u want ppl to make a level, but i dont know wat u would be lookin for.
gl, though. ^_^
poo
deathreaper> You're right, I've posted an example of what I'm looking for. Sorry for being obscure.
This reminds me of the game Kula World on PS1. Ever heard of it?

If I have any ideas for levels and have time to recreate them in Paint, I'll edit them into this post.

Best of luck for the project.
Yes, indeed Tamer0. I googled it, and I saw a video of Kula World and there were some similarities. Don't hold back any ideas
Kinda like Armadillo Run, but without the building, crossed with Balance!

Sounds awesome!

I shall learn how to make blender games. sounds too cool!
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
I forgot to ask earlier:

Will the game be released to the public?
If so, is it going to be distributed freely?
can we make a .blend file?
^garblejfidlssja beflijfdsl baeufkh dsjlinuefjdsl
Tamer0> It'll be a public freeware
gubbin1> That IS acceptable (I didn't know how many people had blender), however I would still recquire an explanation.