Ranking
Original Post
Terrible Discussion Threads: A How-To Guide
Given that the recent crazy fads like posting relevant news or a debatable topic is dying down (at long last), I've decided to create a handy guide for those looking to make a standard Discussion thread today. Here are a few simple options and tips.

1. Take a topic everybody agrees on. Have everybody agree for 5 pages.

2. Take a loosely interpreted word and ask people what it means. Everybody's personal definition will be different, and there will be minimal discussion between people. Alternatively, pick a word with a clear meaning and ask people to define it. This is always a good idea, because Discussion is actually a vocabulary test in disguise.

3. If neither of these are your cup of tea: make a random poll. It doesn't even have to be an actual issue worthy of discussion, just ask people about themselves. This personal attention is exactly what they need and is good for the board.

4. Remake a month old thread because you are a new user and your voice needs to be heard. Again. And again.

5. If you want your thread to last the longest, post it when local mods aren't active. 12 AM to 11 PM sounds about right. Note that the time range in which local mods don't do anything, 12 AM to 11:59 PM, means that this should not be a serious issue.

Oh, and seeing as this is just the longer equivalent of an offtopic thread made by odlov, who was not punished at all, I would appreciate it if staff showed consistency here.
Buy TC for a great price here! http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=240345
Buy VIP and Toriprime for a great price here! http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=237249

Hey look more than two lines.
1. Who is going to disagree with this thread?
2. 'Terrible' is a purely subjective term.
3. Well you don't have a poll at least.
4. This is just a copy of Odlovs right?
5. You stole that one from 4chan lol. I didn't know you were a 4channer.

I guess you should have practiced what you preached huh.

Also,
Oh, and seeing as this is just the longer equivalent of an offtopic thread made by odlov, who was not punished at all, I would appreciate it if staff showed consistency here.

You ask for a kindness that you never showed to anyone? Good luck with that.
Not sure why new people shouldn't be allowed to discuss a topic that others have already discussed. They get in trouble for bumping old threads and they get in trouble for starting a new thread on an already discussed topic.

This is like a professor refusing to teach a class because he has already taught it before. Sorry students, nothing to see here, I already taught biology 101 to last year's class and you missed it, too bad.

Edit: Honestly, reading over the original post again, I am reminded that I think the best way to make a terrible thread is to have a holier-than-thou attitude, regardless of the content.
Last edited by Logic; May 12, 2011 at 12:35 AM.
Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
1. Who is going to disagree with this thread? Apparently you're going to do your best. More importantly: If it's universally agreed that recent Discussion threads are terrible, why is nothing being done about them? Perhaps the staff's attention simply needed to be caught, and it seems this thread served that purpose admirably, seeing as it was temporarily deleted almost immediately. 2. 'Terrible' is a purely subjective term. "Troll harder" is also a subjective term. 4. This is just a copy of Odlovs right? Different board, different points to make. Equivalent isn't a copy. 5. You stole that one from 4chan lol. I didn't know you were a 4channer. I'm not a 4channer, and I didn't realize I was stealing it from anybody. Feel free to link the original creator. I guess you should have practiced what you preached huh. Also, You ask for a kindness that you never showed to anyone? Good luck with that. Stay classy.

Originally Posted by Logic View Post
Not sure why new people shouldn't be allowed to discuss a topic that others have already discussed. They get in trouble for bumping old threads and they get in trouble for starting a new thread on an already discussed topic.
Edit: Honestly, reading over the original post again, I am reminded that I think the best way to make a terrible thread is to have a holier-than-thou attitude, regardless of the content.

If a user really feels he has something to actually contribute to spark further discussion, I'm totally fine with him bumping a thread, within a certain time range. Otherwise, there's very little that he can say that hasn't been said for him.
I don't see where I speak down to anybody or rag on anyone all that seriously, but if I do I apologize.
Last edited by Boredpayne; May 12, 2011 at 06:31 AM.
Buy TC for a great price here! http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=240345
Buy VIP and Toriprime for a great price here! http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=237249

Hey look more than two lines.
Discussion used to be more serious, like how debate was. Now it's just rapid-threads on crack.
Selling Kung Fu Master Beard $250 USD. Non-negotiable. Now accepting bitcoin! I'll accept an offer as low as 0.15BTC!
Pretend you're as elite as us old schoolers with this unique old schooler only beard!
DesertPunk

Please click this
Visit Buy something from my Poor Quality 3D/2D/Pixel/Photography/Sounds/Writing/Scripts/Anything Shop
Recently #6 seems to be "If you're a newbie, post a thread in discussion which should be posted elsewhere, or is simply a rage thread."
Bonus points if you get a second page before your thread is closed.