Toribash
He could also just get a 750 Ti+i3 depending on what he'll be playing. We could be suggesting 970s to a guy who wants to play Minecraft and LoL.
| Leader of FC | Loans | ABD Enthusiast |
Originally Posted by Mongius View Post
I think Juha should reply here to tell us his opinion about that.
to sum it up really shortly :
i3 + 950/370 = better performance for gaming right now, but may suffer in longlivity
i5 + 750ti/360 = better reliability for future updates by sacrificing about 10-15fps in every title

also we don't know which games he plans to play, which would make it easier to get to a conclusion

Well, I don't think i5 is really all that future proof tbh. Games are likely going to remain far more GPU-bound anyway.

If you went for something like:
CPU 120
GPU 250
Mobo 70
PSU 40
RAM 20
HDD 60 (you could drop this lower ~20 if you want to squeeze more)
Case 40 (you could drop this lower/entirely by picking something, anything, up locally if wanted)
CPU Cooler 20 (you could drop this entirely and just deal with the few extra db)

if you drop the last 3 down a few notches you have an extra $100 to play with. If you are making room for upgrades then going for lower tier HDD, RAM, and HSF give you room to improve easily and cheaply - a GPU or CPU are going to be $100-300 upgrades, but adding more ram is ~$20, adding a HSF is ~$20, changing case could be ~$40. Now you have nearly $500 for your CPU/GPU, which you can use to get a i5-4460/i5-6400 + r9 390/gtx 970 (though you will have to check PSU, you might not quite be able to squeeze that far up with GPU, or might have to lower the CPU a bit).
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Mm.. I agree if his budget goes to the limit he should probably get 4gb ram(about 20$) and buy another 4gb ram later and probably fast if he immediately starts to play the latest games because otherwise he will suffer lots of fps drops.

I would highly recommend you to buy GTX 960 and Intel Skylake i3-6100 for the main parts without no doubt to get the best experience form the latest games with that price point.

And probably spend in the other parts something like ImmortalPig mentioned.
Last edited by hunter; Mar 7, 2016 at 12:47 PM.
"raawr says the dinosaur right?"
~◆~
[OSHI,TA,OoT,RMO]
Thats true that cpu is not as Important as the gpu
But you can have the powerful Graphics card of thwe world, if youre playing something with alot of Physics the lagspikes would be massive
Okay so I have been neglecting this thread for a while due of my vacation and now I have some time to reply in this thread

also we don't know which games he plans to play, which would make it easier to get to a conclusion

Originally Posted by ZENBOY123
He could also just get a 750 Ti+i3 depending on what he'll be playing. We could be suggesting 970s to a guy who wants to play Minecraft and LoL.

I will be playing alot of games ranging from old arcade/retro to the upcoming triple A titles, but

Originally Posted by Juha
With Dark Souls III looming in the horizon...

Is the current top priority that I will be playing for coming hundreds of hours, and I am also planning to start playing Arma 3 and other graphically demanding games.

Originally Posted by Mongius
to sum it up really shortly :
i3 + 950/370 = better performance for gaming right now, but may suffer in longlivity
i5 + 750ti/360 = better reliability for future updates by sacrificing about 10-15fps in every title

As long as the fps keeps constant, I do not care about the drop in frames so I would rather go with i5
#TribeON
Originally Posted by Juha View Post
I will be playing alot of games ranging from old arcade/retro to the upcoming triple A titles, but Dark Souls 3 Is the current top priority that I will be playing for coming hundreds of hours, and I am also planning to start playing Arma 3 and other graphically demanding games.

As long as the fps keeps constant, I do not care about the drop in frames so I would rather go with i5

I checked the recommanded hardware requirements for Dark Souls 3, recommanded is an i5 3570 (on par with 4460, if not even a little bit slower) and a GTX 950 /R7 370.

I tried to find Amazon for Finland to have a comparison with the prices at Jimms, but apparently there is no finnish Amazon. I don't know about the shipping from Amazon.com, so I sticked to the finnish vendor Jimms.

This is the final build I recommand to you.

That build will serve you about 3-5 years without trouble. Not at maximum settings in every future triple A game but you surely won't run out of fps.
Also if you want a smaller case you can go for the Zalman T4. It has the same price and is about 10cm smaller in lengh (heigh is the same), but it only supports mATX boards and (obviously) shorter GPUs (there is no need to worry about this unless you spend like 300€+ on a GPU)
Last edited by Mongius; Mar 10, 2016 at 04:30 PM.
Got any problems or questions about computers or any other tech?Feel free to PM me any time. Lmod for Computer/Mobile Chat
Mong's build is great, hits all the requirements perfectly.

DKS3 releases in a couple of weeks. I don't really trust those requirements, they sound overkill in the wrong way. If you don't mind waiting a little after release, you can find out how people are benching, because I suspect that the CPU is overkill... If you really want to min-max and get the most out of your budget, that's what I'd do.

Otherwise, Mong's build is a perfect fit.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
I checked the recommanded hardware requirements for Dark Souls 3, recommanded is an i5 3570 (on par with 4460, if not even a little bit slower) and a GTX 950 /R7 370.

I tried to find Amazon for Finland to have a comparison with the prices at Jimms, but apparently there is no finnish Amazon. I don't know about the shipping from Amazon.com, so I sticked to the finnish vendor Jimms.

This is the final build I recommand to you.

That build will serve you about 3-5 years without trouble. Not at maximum settings in every future triple A game but you surely won't run out of fps.
Also if you want a smaller case you can go for the Zalman T4. It has the same price and is about 10cm smaller in lengh (heigh is the same), but it only supports mATX boards and (obviously) shorter GPUs (there is no need to worry about this unless you spend like 300€+ on a GPU)

Originally Posted by hunter View Post
I would highly recommend you to buy GTX 960 and Intel Skylake i3-6100

if you'd go with i3-6100, GTX 960 and change the motherboard. If you play Dark Souls III with i3-6100 the performance with that game possibly isn't really much different compared to i5-4460 expect you'd probably get little bit better frames with 960.

The price is about the same so..

I think it's up to you what you will choose. There really isn't big performance differences whit what i recommended and what mongius recommended.

Gpu is always the most important in gaming.
"raawr says the dinosaur right?"
~◆~
[OSHI,TA,OoT,RMO]