Ranking
Thank you Oracle!

Professional Graphic Designer
Former [Crooks]
Leader | [TA] Member | Ex-[Latin] member
[Mexican] Player |Fan Club
Oracle is almost right. Check the first page, I linked a video on Castling

You cannot castle into, out of, or through check. So if a bishop eyes a square where your king would be moving through, it's illegal. But if it were the rook that moved through the bishops attack, it'd be okay.

It's a relatively complicated rule. Oracle might be 100% right but how he worded it had me scratching my head lol
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Oracle is almost right. Check the first page, I linked a video on Castling

You cannot castle into, out of, or through check. So if a bishop eyes a square where your king would be moving through, it's illegal. But if it were the rook that moved through the bishops attack, it'd be okay.

It's a relatively complicated rule. Oracle might be 100% right but how he worded it had me scratching my head lol

You worded it better than I did. King can't pass from, through, or into any square that's being attacked while it's castling. It's just somewhat rare for somebody to try to castle where somebody is attacking a square the king passes through since it's so uncommon for that situation to occur with standard center board starts.
Last edited by Oracle; Apr 10, 2017 at 11:58 PM.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
You worded it better than I did. King can't pass from, through, or into any square that's being attacked while it's castling. It's just somewhat rare for somebody to try to castle where somebody is attacking a square the king passes through since it's so uncommon for that situation to occur with standard center board starts.

The reason I bring up more specifically the king, is even advanced beginners think the rook can't move through attack when castling.

I just created this position on an engine:

White to move, white is allowed to castle in this position. Some advanced beginners have stopped the clock on OTB games and called for the judge to come over because they thought this was illegal. They thought: oh man, you can't castle, the Rook on H1 is under attack. But he can legally castle.

The total rules are as follows:

1) To initiate a castle, you must move the king first. Castling is a king move, not a rook move.

2) The King cannot have moved

3) The Rook cannot have moved

4) There are no pieces between the King and Rook

5) The king cannot castle if he's in check, he moves through a square where he'd be checked, or ends the castle on a square where he then would be checked.

6) Move the king first, then the knight. Chess annotation for a kingside castle is O-O, and O-O-O for a queenside castle
Need help?
Just Use Thunder!
Damn I know you hate me but you sure are damn good at chess

I was a 2 time champion chess player at school but I don't think I can beat you tho
Also I don't even know wtf lichess is I'd like to try to play with you

SOMTHING NEW SOMETHING NEW

^

I used to play too but stop playing due to being busy. Bod made me want to play again, hope I can play a match against him

Former [Crooks]
Same here

I loved beating newbies with the 4 move checkmate strat lol
I'm probably not as good as I used to be when I was competing

Also a question for bod
how'd you learn chess and how'd you find out about it?

SOMTHING NEW SOMETHING NEW

I'm honestly not very good. Someone posted in this thread earlier saying they were a 1900 rated player? Obviously I didn't verify that, but if that's true I don't expect to reach that level... maybe for another 5 to 10 years.

Uhh... in terms of how I stumbled upon Chess - I've played E-Sports most my life. Started playing DotA at age like 11, in high school I was playing Toribash, World of Warcraft Arenas, and Starcraft II. In college I was pretty solely focused on Toribash, Pokemon, League of Legends, Hearthstone, and CS:GO.

I just decided for myself one day that I don't really like team games. I like being able to quantifiably measure whether or not I'm playing better, and relying on others is hard to do just that. Like did you play bad? Or did one of your opponents play really well? Did one of your teammates play really bad and make the situation unwinnable? Yadda yadda.

I also decided for myself I don't really enjoy games with large luck components for anything other than a way to pass the time. I mean I enjoy Monopoly but I also don't want to try to get "good" at monopoly. So... games where factors that weren't skill decided a lot really got to frustrate me. Hearthstone in particular, since card games are super luck based, and I worked really hard to become a good Hearthstone player.

So yeah, Chess was my new choice. It's free to play, there's a ton of resources out there, it's mildly social (I can go to places and play chess with people), when people ask me what I like at work or in class or whatever, I can explain it super easily. I don't know, there's just so many resources out there to get good at Chess, and the results of Chess players tend to be so consistent, I guess that's the appeal. Like I've played 50,000 games of Toribash almost and if I seriously sat down and taught an IRL friend how to play, they'd probably be able to take like... idk, 1 out of every 5 wins off me? Which is ludicrous. If I were even a 1400 rated player over the board, I doubt it'd be realistic to drop even more than 1 out of 100 games to someone who doesn't actually study the game.

How do I learn Chess now?

I use a couple of resources. First off - Chess players below master level usually are defined by their ability to solve for, find, and create Tactics. Like knowing openings and all of that is fine, but being able to just identify tactics and set your opponent up for them is pretty much all of Chess at my level of play. Or at least it can be. So I spend the far majority of my studying practicing tactical puzzles. I started playing Chess seriously about 6 months ago, and in those 6 months, outside of using books I've purchased, only using Chess.com, I've attempted 1,643 tactical puzzles, with a 59% success rate, with a little under 21 hours solely doing tactics.

Outside of that, I read, watch YouTube videos, experiment, and then also compete in tournaments.

I read highly reviewed beginner level books. I watch YouTube videos on topics that interest me. I experiment with new ideas, usually first in bullet games, then blitz games, then rapid games, then 30 minute time controls, and if I really like what I've got, I'll use what I've learned at my next rated tournament. After every game I play seriously, I always bust out a computer engine and analyze each move and see what I could've done better.

Just... experience, learning from past mistakes, trying new things, being able to memorize and calculate as much as possible, slowly but surely adds up. Or at least I hope it does.
Need help?
Just Use Thunder!
What tutorials/guides do you recommend me? Forgot the basic rules from the game, also need to learn all moves, etc.
Last edited by Theory; Apr 11, 2017 at 05:08 AM.

Former [Crooks]
Originally Posted by spcr View Post
What tutorials/guides do you recommend me? Forgot the basic rules from the game, also need to learn all moves, etc.

Well, on the first post I've linked YouTube videos that show you how all the pieces move and whatnot.

You might find a video like this to be useful:

https://www.chess.com/video/player/e...-playing-chess

I found this which is usually a good starting point for anyone too:

The basics of each phase of the game

Opening:
Follow the Opening principles:
1. Control the center squares – d4-e4-d5-e5
2. Develop your minor pieces toward the center – piece activity is the key
Ø Complete your development before moving a piece twice or starting an attack.
Ø Move pieces not pawns.
3. Castle
4. Connect your rooks
Ø By move 12, you should have connected your Rooks, or be about to do so.

Middle game:
When you have completed the Opening Principles, you are now at the middle game. Now you need to formulate a middle game plan. The middle game is a very complicated part of a chess game. A simple way to develop a middle game plan is to perform the following steps.
1. Scan your opponents 5th, and 6th ranks (3rd, and 4th if your black)
2. Look for weak pawns, and or weak squares.
Ø Weak pawns and squares are Pawns, and squares that cannot be defended by another Pawn.
Ø Knights are excellent pieces on weak squares.
Ø When deciding on weak squares, and weak Pawns to attack, the closer to the center the better

End game:
Start with the basics:
1. Learn basic mates – KQ vs. K, KR vs. K, KRR vs. K
2. Learn Opposition, and Key Squares
3. Learn basic King and Pawn endings

Pre Move Checklist

1. Make sure all your pieces are safe.
2. Look for forcing moves: Checks, captures, threats. You want to look at ALL forcing moves (even the bad ones) this will force you look at, and see the entire board.
3. If there are no forcing moves, you then want to remove any of your opponent’s pieces from your side of the board.
4. If your opponent doesn’t have any of his pieces on your side of the board, then you want to improve the position of your least active piece.

5. After each move by your opponent, ask yourself: "What is my opponent trying to do?"

As is this blog post by a much much higher rated player than me:
https://www.chess.com/blog/Cherub_En...n-a-chess-game

As for beginner books, probably one of the easiest books to read would be Pandolfini's Ultimate Guide to Chess. Reads super easy, made for ultra beginners.

I'm currently working on a highly praised book called Logical Chess, Move by Move by Irving Chernev. Definitely need to be a little more fluent in chess to read that, I'm on maybe month 3 of reading it.

There's also a video series when you're ready for it which is an audio book and viewing of a very highly praised book by an old amazing Grandmaster called "My System", which teaches you how to play like Aron Nimzovitch.

You can find that here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqx...x77wi-5v4wimGQ
Need help?
Just Use Thunder!