Toribash
Original Post
Vista 64 bit Windows Explorer theme change.
Hi, I was hoping I could mess around with some of my OS files so I can change Vistas "blueness" to "redness". I have an Alienware M17X, and Ive attempted changing the login screen background to an alienated version. Im pretty sure you guys don't know what im talking about, so here's a pic of what I mean.

In the top left corner the back button is blue, I want it to become red. I also want to change this:

to my own custom background. Any help? after mindless hours of browing through the OS files, I'm afraid these are hidden in a DLL, your thoughts? -Graboy
the code that runs the current logon background is most likely hidden within winlogon.exe. I doubt there's much you could do to change it
Ive found a cool program that does half of what I wanted. Its from stardock, its Called logon studio. Try it out.

also, another program from stardock stardock rewrites how all windows appear. (like the difference between XP and vista) and keeps a stored backup of the proper image files for the original vista theme. I am going to copy all of those files edit them, then make it so it appears as if I have downloaded a new theme, when I actually created one. WIsh me luck ^^. -Graboy
Last edited by graboy; Mar 6, 2010 at 07:33 PM.
Read all of the following before doing anything ||
----------------------------------------------

I'd highly recommend against using Stardock Windowblinds.
Windowblinds is a terrible system bloat, and it works only marginally on Vista64.
Instead, look for a program called VistaGlazz.
It's a uxtheme.dll and other file patcher, allowing you to run custom theme files (change windows and taskbar) and replace browseui.dll (buttons and logon).
To run themes, you'll need to download a .msstyles file from your website of choice.
DeviantArt has a lot of them, so I'd start there.

Put the theme into CWindows\Resources\Themes, and then doubleclick the themes.
This will pull up the theme window (standard windows program). Scroll to the bottom, and you'll find a theme that probably says "Aero Style". This is the theme you just installed. Click it, and then click Apply to use the theme.

Modifying Browseui.dll is a little trickier.
Before you do ANYTHING, create a system restore point.
I won't go into how to do this, since if you don't know how, you shouldn't be messing around with system dlls anyway. After your restore point, go to CWindows\System32 (i think). In there, you'll find Browseui.dll. take ownership of it (again, if you don't know how, don't mess with system files). cut it into a backup folder, so you can restore it later should you choose. Then replace the dll with the file in your theme of choice. reboot windows, and if it worked, great.
If it did NOT work, however, we created a system restore point.
reboot to a command prompt, and type "rstrui" without the quotes. That is the system restore wizard from command line. Chances are good that the theme's browseui.dll is messed up, or not for Vista, so i'd go find another theme.

Sorry if that was a bit incoherent,
I'm typing this while I'm sick at 7:30 in the morning.
Anyway, have fun with Windows themeing.
<DjPz> I don't expect to have sex with the dolphins every time I visit them
Thank you. Ill see what I can do, my attempt really didn't work well, I'm not really sure why though. Thanks, -Graboy