ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
[Art] Artwork I've done for assignments or while I'm bored
Just a heads up, most of the work I've done I've never got round to finishing or I've just forgotten about them / Lost them.

Predator Pen being predator with his helmet and pencil being predator without

Not yet finished - Warwick

digital stuff

Last edited by RedPanda; Jan 24, 2016 at 08:51 PM.
Life's not a waste of time and time's not a waste of life so let's stop wasting time, get wasted and have the time of our lives - Mr Worldwide 3:18
I can see you're not lazy with your shading, and have a decent grasp of what you're doing.
Here's whats next:
*Draw a lot from references and make it look as close to it as possible. (Warwick for example, don't use just the actual champion, get a wolf reference, a wolfs skeleton structure, fur.. ect.) Do that and your images will really come to life.
*Take a spoon, a bottle, and a wood block. Paint them. Profit. You need to widen your range of value.
finna bump my thread with some stuff ive been working on/ using as practice to get the hang of using a drawing tablet.

wipip

ill just edit this post with updated pics as i go along

hit me up with that cnc fam.

also if any of yall know how to do delicate shading (like using a 6B pencil on paper) hit me up cause all attempts so far have ended poorly
Last edited by RedPanda; Jan 24, 2016 at 08:52 PM.
Life's not a waste of time and time's not a waste of life so let's stop wasting time, get wasted and have the time of our lives - Mr Worldwide 3:18
Well shit, that's really good! If i am to channel my inner nitpicker, here's a few things: If you're going for anatomical accuracy, the skin on the dogs head shouldn't be perfectly level with the skull. Also, the skulls nose hole should be a bit further backwards.

Considering that you DIDN'T mirror this (... i think), though, level of (implied) symmetry is pretty damn impressive! Also i love the shading, mmm.

Also, regarding delicate shading, i'm not entirely sure what you mean...? 6B isn't exactly what i'd call delicate, but it is lighter than 9B, for sure. Do you happen to have an example? I don't want to bore you with entry-level tips (read: most of what i know) that you're already familiar with, but i also don't want to pretend to know something that i don't. :v
<Blam|Homework> oiubt veubg
various places to find me lol
Originally Posted by Shook View Post
Well shit, that's really good! If i am to channel my inner nitpicker, here's a few things: If you're going for anatomical accuracy, the skin on the dogs head shouldn't be perfectly level with the skull. Also, the skulls nose hole should be a bit further backwards.

Considering that you DIDN'T mirror this (... i think), though, level of (implied) symmetry is pretty damn impressive! Also i love the shading, mmm.

Also, regarding delicate shading, i'm not entirely sure what you mean...? 6B isn't exactly what i'd call delicate, but it is lighter than 9B, for sure. Do you happen to have an example? I don't want to bore you with entry-level tips (read: most of what i know) that you're already familiar with, but i also don't want to pretend to know something that i don't. :v

Thanks, and yeah i understand what you mean, i forgot to make the skin slightly more elevated than the skull. the nose is a bit too high so i might move it down a little later and make the canvas longer. ill get to work on these fixes tomorrow.

also dont worry about entry level tips, so far im new to digital art so entry level tips on more realistic shading and some lineart (still having to get used to this style) would be very helpful.
so far my attempts either look too smudged or just dont look nice at all.
about the pencil shading thing i mean something similar to this

having opacity on the pressure sensitivity seems to not work as much like a pencil as id hoped.
Ohhhhhh you mean digitally! Yes okay, i was a bit confused about that, because it seemed like you knew very well how2pencil even a year ago. :v
In that case, you should probably check out the Flow parameter (often found close to Opacity), since that emulates pencil on paper more closely. It's more fidgety than a real pencil, but hey, might as well get used to digital and traditional handling differently (at least until you get some super fancy Cintiq or something). I don't usually use anything but 100% flow and opacity (i love me some big fat lines), but pressure-sensitive flow certainly seems like it's something you might be looking for. (and then you can vary the hardness of the brush and so on)

As for realistic shading, i'm afraid i ain't the best guy to talk about that, given my violent lack of experience in that particular area. :v
Also, most entry-level tips for paper also make themselves relevant for tablets (keep your arm mobile, follow the contours when shading, that kind of stuff), though i've personally noticed one big difference: On paper, you can get away with digging your pencil in and drawing a line relatively slowly. On a tablet, that's likely going to look unsteady as hell (depending on how rough the surface of it is and how good you are at keeping the pressure even), so you'll often get smoother lines with relatively fast strokes. Well, at least i do, can't speak for others. (post scriptum testing reveals that i might actually be wrong, good job me)
Last edited by Shook; Jan 23, 2016 at 03:30 AM.
<Blam|Homework> oiubt veubg
various places to find me lol
Originally Posted by Shook View Post
In that case, you should probably check out the Flow parameter (often found close to Opacity), since that emulates pencil on paper more closely. It's more fidgety than a real pencil, but hey, might as well get used to digital and traditional handling differently (at least until you get some super fancy Cintiq or something). I don't usually use anything but 100% flow and opacity (i love me some big fat lines), but pressure-sensitive flow certainly seems like it's something you might be looking for. (and then you can vary the hardness of the brush and so on)

Also, most entry-level tips for paper also make themselves relevant for tablets (keep your arm mobile, follow the contours when shading, that kind of stuff), though i've personally noticed one big difference: On paper, you can get away with digging your pencil in and drawing a line relatively slowly. On a tablet, that's likely going to look unsteady as hell (depending on how rough the surface of it is and how good you are at keeping the pressure even), so you'll often get smoother lines with relatively fast strokes. Well, at least i do, can't speak for others. (post scriptum testing reveals that i might actually be wrong, good job me)

omg yes flow is literally what ive been looking for
i really need to start messing around more with the brushes and their settings

I noticed the line thing as well, although im still not used to doing long lines accurately and quickly to make them look more natural im fiddling around with the sizes of the brushes and the sensitivity with most of the other pressure settings off (other than the size setting ofc) and going over them with the eraser tool.

main reason im making the jump from drawing on paper to digital is mostly not having to buy as many sketchbooks and sharpening a god damn pencil every 5 minutes. that and its easier to store and keep track of the drawings for later.

thanks for the tips shook
you are doing pretty well with digital stuff.
get used to the tablet and keep drawing.

Pressure sensitivity works, but is hard to control without fine adjustment,
try to do repeated strokes on low opacity brush, then get the colors with the color picker(Alt+Click) mix colors and it may work for you, the rest is practice.
i havent done much work on it but so far ive done what shook said and fixed the alignment problems. also 'finished' the mouth area (im absolutely shite with lips) and started on the ear.
might do more work on it tomorrow depending on how productive i am.

pressure sensitivity seems to work well with the lines but yh i can see where youre coming from, i cant say id be able to do a consistent pressure at this current stage so i guess its just a matter of practicing this shit. i guess i cant draw stuff using the same shading-the-fuck-out of it style like on paper rip
Last edited by RedPanda; Jan 24, 2016 at 09:01 PM.