Ranking
Original Post
Society vs Intelligent people ("geeks", "nerds", "dorks" and so on)
With this topic, I would like to ask you all about your views on how the society deals with intelligent people... Why intelligent people get ridiculed while celebrities, mostly bad role-models and idiot as fuck, get most of the attention and everybody thinks they're the epitomy of "cool" and nice examples to follow.

Seriously. Express your views... Specially about how we despise intelligence in women, and how they're never portrayed as intelligent/intellectual individuals on TV, at least not without making mockery out of them: the stereotype pretty common on mainstream media of a dork with glasses that is too ugly to be good at stuff other than general culture.

Video debate with Vanessa Mae: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...ek/7914414.stm
Last edited by GenkiSudo; Oct 10, 2009 at 12:32 AM.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
I hate when people measure intelligence by grades, and half the people cheat on homework and test. Then the teachers believe we're not challenged and then and the cycle repeats. I've met straight A students who had no clue who Winston Churchill or Stalin was.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
When you search "scientist", in Google images, this is one of the first things that comes up:
http://z.about.com/d/chemistry/1/0/y/h/madscientist.jpg
When you search "cool kid", this is one of the first things that comes up:
http://theneave.com/blog/wp-content/...0/cool-kid.jpg
When you search "smart kid", this comes up:
http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strol.../smart-kid.jpg

In my opinion, people make these generalizations because of the media, i.e., TV sitcoms, other TV shows, and even the Internet. For example, this Youtube video:

I also find the old show "Jimmy Neutron" to be a blame as well.
"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane." -Nikola Tesla
Eh,i think i have the answer. For some unknown reason, the mentally incapable (popular people) somehow have the upper hand socially. This is true all throughout history.
Last edited by Robert234; Oct 10, 2009 at 12:47 AM.
"Life has a funny way of throwing wet sponges at our dreams." ~ MoreTh>n Freeman
Well you don't have to be super-nerdy to be intelligent. And i've never seen anyone ridiculed simply because they're smart.

Equally, there are lots of fucking stupid people who live in a world of computer screens and anime action figures.

I don't think society has anything against intelligent people at all. In fact the stupid celebrities (think Paris Hilton) get more shit than anyone.
Humans are idiots. That'd sum up why people idolize celebrities in a nutshell.

Looking at it in more detail, when given the choice to be attractive or intelligent, most people would pick attractiveness because the desire to have sex with hot people rates much higher for more people than being able to get a job that requires a university degree. Why? Sex is hard-wired into people's minds as a basic instinct for survival. Kinda like how a male lion will have sex with every female lion in a herd; it's so that their genes get passed on to as many others as possible.

Also, it's a lot easier to do something stupid and get rich off it than to do something amazingly beneficial for mankind and get rich off it while young.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Originally Posted by H4rl3quin View Post
Well you don't have to be super-nerdy to be intelligent. And i've never seen anyone ridiculed simply because they're smart.

Equally, there are lots of fucking stupid people who live in a world of computer screens and anime action figures.

I don't think society has anything against intelligent people at all. In fact the stupid celebrities (think Paris Hilton) get more shit than anyone.

So..... nobody has ever been made fun of for being smart, (nerd, dork etc)
"Life has a funny way of throwing wet sponges at our dreams." ~ MoreTh>n Freeman
Originally Posted by H4rl3quin View Post

So, you're denying the fact that mainstream media pictures intelligent people in a negative way?
Considering what you said: Sure, thats what happens sometimes. But we're talking about averages.
And that still doesn't explain why women aren't really depicted as intellectuals... The media always seeks and exposes the sex appeal in them (turning them into objects) while ignoring their intellectual value.

Another question for you.. Why do people always know whats the color of Britney Spears panties for today, while most people don't even know who the fuck Norman Borlaug is, when he actually saved millions of lives? This is just a tiny example... I mean... People that do something that actually matters for their societies and the world as a whole, often don't get much attention... We need to acknowledge such people. Celebrity cult = mediocrity cult
Last edited by GenkiSudo; Oct 10, 2009 at 01:06 AM.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
Here is an example: a.... how should i put this.... mentally...challenged person in my class insists that i watch star wars becaus i get good grades/ i am smart.
Originally Posted by GenkiSudo View Post

Another question for you.. Why do people always know whats the color of Britney Spears panties for today, while most people don't even know who the fuck Norman Borlaug is, when he actually saved millions of lives?

It's called entertainment values.the less entertaining a person is,the less people give a shit about them.

Even when a guy in Iraq that Jumped on a bomb to save his team(killing himself,very brave),noone cares for him and just glance and stare at the entertaining people who they adore.