Toribash
Original Post
Current Clan League set up
Ok posting this took a lil longer than intended my bad soz. I've had some family + work stuff come up and it was either I post this now or after I come back from a small trip. So now is now and current set up is as follows.

A long held tradition and staple of Toribash arrives.
Get ready for Clan League 2019!

Last year, Alpha achieved their second title in a row. But after the members decided to go their seperate ways, there's now no obvious name at the top of the leader board.
Which of members will be consistent winners? Who will dealing with regrets?

Rules for participation are as follows:

•Anyone found to be in multiple rosters on alternate accounts will be punished with disqualification from the whole event. This includes being in several accounts in one roster
•Failure to complete matches will result in penalties and/or disqualification from the competition.
•Wars must be done via the Clan War system.
•The replays for the KnockOut Stage will have to be uploaded in the Clan League thread (I'm undecided if I'll say the same for the group stages)

Due to the success of it last year, we're using the same League Qualification into Knockout system.

Within your groups you will fight the opposing clans at least once.
The top NUMBER clans per group will advance to the final stage, except for *whatever number i need to make the KO rounds as even as possible.*
This brings X clans down to Y for the final knockout stage.
The final stage will be a standard single elimination, with a reverse gradient seed (Read as: 1st vs 16th, 2nd vs 15th, 3rd vs 14th and so on.)

The rules for the group phase are as follows:

Rules will go here in time \o/

Modlist
Aikidobigdojo.tbm
ErthTKv2.tbm
Boxshumushuv3.tbm
Lenshu3ng.tbm

Group AGroup BGroup CGroup DGroup EGroup FGroup GGroup HGroup I

Challonge Bracket which will be made when needed

•Something mega cool*
•Stuff
•Clan Achievement Trophy
•Shiai Tokens
•Clan EXP
•TC

•Stuff
•Shiai Tokens
•Clan EXP
•TC

•Stuff
•Shiai Tokens
•Clan EXP OR TC

To qualify for prizes you must have played at least ?? games.

We recommend you use discord to organise your matches, you can find a link to the official toribash server here
Feel free to organise matches in your own servers, or however you see fit.

**This is what is currently in place.**

Some questions i expect to be asked so i'll answer them here are:

1) Yes I know the images are broken, I broke them on purpose cause leaving the old art there would cause misunderstandings and I'm not showing the new art early

2)Yes you will see things that aren't locked or defined as numbers/specific details at the moment, this is on purpose cause I haven't started sign ups so I don't know how many clans will be in it.

If you have any questions/comments, this is the time to put em in writing for me to answer.
Last edited by Icky; May 24, 2019 at 10:44 AM.
Because why would we use what is essentially a popularity contest that can be easily swayed and is based off nothing more that community opinion of the times, when we have a tried and tested method with its base in previous clan league performance.
If you want a fleshed out answer there it is but it feels super obvious as to why we'd use seeds instead of an arbitrary public vote.
She/They

Yeah, I only don't like erthtkv2 because of the mod's name. Make it "tkv2," and the mod will instantly become more popular. This is a valid reason as the name of the mod is still an important feature that no one seems to have yet discussed.
I don't think that voting is a nice idea. I don't think that your approach is a good one either. A Clan's competitive skill isn't a constant thing. There will be a massacre if you going to clash such superclans as win and July against not such experienced opponents.
-----
I'd say make it RNG so no human beings involved and no offence taken. You could also manage those brackets manually to avoid too much handicap.
Last edited by Aeon; May 20, 2019 at 10:47 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
An out of date precedent is better than no precedent.
Staff opinion brackets are just as invalid as public opinion brackets.
The only other acceptable thing I can think of would be seeding based on clan rank, but they're not currently accurate or in a state I'd rely on. So seeds based on previous leagues it is.
She/They

Yeah, I only don't like erthtkv2 because of the mod's name. Make it "tkv2," and the mod will instantly become more popular. This is a valid reason as the name of the mod is still an important feature that no one seems to have yet discussed.
Originally Posted by Icky View Post
No.

I’m canceling clan league. Thank you everyone for your input but clan league isn’t happening this year. See you all in 12 months.

Need help? PM me!
إد هو العاهرة
Originally Posted by Erth View Post

That's kinda senseless. Since last year some favorites died and some shiny stars arised. The situation has changed. That's a fact not an opinion.
boaty mcboatface.

D:

either way, i don't see the problem with an open public poll
Last edited by ddos; May 21, 2019 at 12:13 AM.
<[Alpha]Diamond> in short: you count pings, you run, you lick boots
I was asking questions about it but only because I’m curious and crave interaction. Seeding isn’t a big deal... really the only way to do it is either random, clan ranks, or previous placements because the voting thing is an awful idea.

Need help? PM me!
إد هو العاهرة
Originally Posted by Divine View Post
I’m canceling clan league. Thank you everyone for your input but clan league isn’t happening this year. See you all in 12 months.

Ok I'll expand on it.

No, because there's a group phase before the KO rounds. When someone with no prior ranking from events enters a competition, they're ranked as (N+1) with N being the Number of competitiors that have rankings. (other numbering systems can and have been used, but the essence was the same)

This is to put them at the bottom of the ranking list at all times. EVERY entrant that fits this requirement is ranked the same, last place, prior to the event starting. This means that they will be randomly spread across the group phase, which the seeded competitiors will spread across already via their rankings.

P.S. before anyone comes to yell at me cause their sport just gave rankings via first come first serve for the new entrants, cool but that makes me think that you either don't know about the behind the scenes work. Or the people doing it are cutting corners because it's not as important for them.

Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
I don't think that voting is a nice idea. I don't think that your approach is a good one either. A Clan's competitive skill isn't a constant thing. There will be a massacre if you going to clash such superclans as win and July against not such experienced opponents.
-----
I'd say make it RNG so no human beings involved and no offence taken. You could also manage those brackets manually to avoid too much handicap.

Staff opinion brackets are just as invalid as public opinion brackets.
The only other acceptable thing I can think of would be seeding based on clan rank, but they're not currently accurate or in a state I'd rely on. So seeds based on previous leagues it is.

What Erth said hits the nail on the head, but to rephrase for you.
No, a clans collective avaliable skill isn't garunteed thing. (I would argue that it's usually consistent though)
RNG sucks, especially when the competition is meant to be as large as this one. Plus, a truly RNG'd event gives you guys no idea if I, or anyone else has tweaked it or not. You also have no clue if it's actually randomised at all, since I could just be asking staff what they think.

Funny thing though everytime someone mentions doing the seeds via staff discussion / public vote / rng I die inside, but also remember a time when someone decided to take it upon himself to rig the CL so badly it brings me back to life via tears of laughter.

Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
That's kinda senseless. Since last year some favorites died and some shiny stars arised. The situation has changed. That's a fact not an opinion.

OK and? That's their problem, or their reward for performing how they did. Why would we put them on a seeding list higher than they performed cause they lost unexpectadly, or lower on the list even though they exceeded that position last year? Sounds like bias to me.

Originally Posted by Woeb View Post
D:

either way, i don't see the problem with an open public poll

Conflict of interest + rigging is possible and fairly difficult to stop consistently. As much as I'd enjoy a first round of Win VS TGS and Obey vs Parrot as a spectacle. I think it'd be a bad idea to pursue. So I won't.

Originally Posted by Divine View Post
I was asking questions about it but only because I’m curious and crave interaction. Seeding isn’t a big deal... really the only way to do it is either random, clan ranks, or previous placements because the voting thing is an awful idea.

You right.

~~~
Any questions?
Originally Posted by Aeon
A Clan's competitive skill isn't a constant thing.

Huh, past CLs show the complete opposite

(im)

There are some clans like alpha that is practically dead now since most of the still active members moved to other clans or july. But you have to make the seeds somehow, so last CL results is at least some data other than just personal opinnions.