ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Recommendation for MIDI Player
Hi there.

Anyone have a recommendation for good MIDI player? I tried foobar2000 MIDI plugin since I use foobar as my main music player but the music didn't sound like what it should, it sounds different. I googled some free MIDI player and I found vanBasco's Karaoke Player, it sounds fine but some of the instruments like not playing or suddenly stopped when there's a lot of instruments playing at one time.

Thanks before.
[Steam] [Art] [Music]
I assume you don't have any real MIDI hardware, so you'll need to emulate some or use sound fonts to stop it sounding like a kid's toy keyboard.

For Foobar2k you need to switch the MIDI output to BASSMIDI (you may need to download the plugin separately) and feed it a sound font. Obviously the better the sound font the better it'll sound.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Originally Posted by Caveisier View Post
Hi there.

Anyone have a recommendation for good MIDI player? I tried foobar2000 MIDI plugin since I use foobar as my main music player but the music didn't sound like what it should, it sounds different. I googled some free MIDI player and I found vanBasco's Karaoke Player, it sounds fine but some of the instruments like not playing or suddenly stopped when there's a lot of instruments playing at one time.

Thanks before.

This might be a bit off topic, but just out of pure interest, why do you need to play midi files so that they sound decent? I don't personally know a player to make midi sound good, and I doubt you will find one to make music sound listenable. If you really need to make midi sound "great", I suggest getting a DAW, and making a midi preset for yourself with virtual instruments, then running all your midi files through that.
Last edited by cowmeat; Dec 1, 2015 at 12:03 PM.
Originally Posted by SkulFuk View Post
I assume you don't have any real MIDI hardware, so you'll need to emulate some or use sound fonts to stop it sounding like a kid's toy keyboard.

For Foobar2k you need to switch the MIDI output to BASSMIDI (you may need to download the plugin separately) and feed it a sound font. Obviously the better the sound font the better it'll sound.

Did you mean something like MIDI Controller? Yes I don't have it.

Aaahh... it looks like the problem is the soundfont since it's still empty. I'll try to find it and report the result later. Thanks.

Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
This might be a bit off topic, but just out of pure interest, why do you need to play midi files so that they sound decent? I don't personally know a player to make midi sound good, and I doubt you will find one to make music sound listenable. If you really need to make midi sound "great", I suggest getting a DAW, and making a midi preset for yourself with virtual instruments, then running all your midi files through that.

I just want to make the MIDI music sounds like what it sounds in the game. Actually it's a music from a game and the game used a free MIDI.

Here's how the music you're gonna hear in the game.

And here is the original MIDI file.

I have FL Studio but I never tried to work with MIDI before, but I think it will be sounds different depending on the VST.

By the way I accidentally opened the MIDI file using IrfanView(image viewer) and it sounds pretty same like in the game but with a bit lower quality, but it's not pretty comfortable to play it on an image viewer.
[Steam] [Art] [Music]
Originally Posted by Caveisier View Post
Did you mean something like MIDI Controller? Yes I don't have it.

Aaahh... it looks like the problem is the soundfont since it's still empty. I'll try to find it and report the result later. Thanks.

I just want to make the MIDI music sounds like what it sounds in the game. Actually it's a music from a game and the game used a free MIDI.

Here's how the music you're gonna hear in the game.

And here is the original MIDI file.

I have FL Studio but I never tried to work with MIDI before, but I think it will be sounds different depending on the VST.

By the way I accidentally opened the MIDI file using IrfanView(image viewer) and it sounds pretty same like in the game but with a bit lower quality, but it's not pretty comfortable to play it on an image viewer.

The thing is, midi is just programming the "instrument". It doesn't have inherit audio built in it self. Its just a language, to tell the instrument what to do.

You aren't going to have the same sound as the game, unless you have the same midi instruments installed as the game does. So you will have to run it through an emulation of what ever the game was played on, in order to get the same sound.
I was kinda forgot about this problem, but actually I just solved the problem, thanks for both of you SkulFuk and cowmeat for the knowledge about MIDI, now I'm understand how MIDI works. I downloaded SynthFont2 trial and then use the soundfont file and now the MIDI sounds like what I want.

Closing thread.
[Steam] [Art] [Music]