Ranking
Originally Posted by Odlov View Post
Another point I want to add is that it is essentially necessary for a society to embrace it unless it can prevent it globally through treaties and whatnot (yeah right!). If your population stays traditional while other countries are rapidly filling with smarter and stronger citizens, you will eventually be out of competition. Perish. Along with your obsolete values.

That isn't exactly true.

Case study; the Amish. They have essentially shunned modern technology and live as they did 200 years ago. Currently modern technology is flying across at an insane rate, and yet the Amish survive and live happily.

Countries that do not embrace transhumanism will essentially be in the same boat. They may not contribute as much to society, but they will still exist.

I expect that some Western countries that are less religious (ie, not USA), as well as south east Asia will embrace new technology a lot faster than the middle east, and Africa. This is just speculation however.
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
That isn't exactly true.

Case study; the Amish. They have essentially shunned modern technology and live as they did 200 years ago. Currently modern technology is flying across at an insane rate, and yet the Amish survive and live happily.

Countries that do not embrace transhumanism will essentially be in the same boat. They may not contribute as much to society, but they will still exist.

I expect that some Western countries that are less religious (ie, not USA), as well as south east Asia will embrace new technology a lot faster than the middle east, and Africa. This is just speculation however.

Oh, get real
Technologically backwards groups like the Amish or Bushmen only exist for as long as they are allowed. Moreover, they are merely small communities within countries which embrace technology and can defend themselves. Try to picture an "Amish country" and how seriously the smarter and stronger world will take their claim to sovereignty.

Even if we assume that countries will respect their primitive neighbor's claim to sovereignty, you have to remember that life poses far more threats than other people. Diseases, viruses, natural disasters, alien invasions. Do you think a country which embraces primitivism will stand the test of time? I certainly wouldn't bet on it.
And yet there is a plethora of examples of primitive societies survival today.

I don't see this changing in the future, if anything, there will be more 'primitive splinter societies' forming.
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
And yet there is a plethora of examples of primitive societies survival today.

I don't see this changing in the future, if anything, there will be more 'primitive splinter societies' forming.

Yeah, so what if there is?
I think my points still stand.
On their own they are defenseless - against aggressors or other maladies. They exist for as long as they don't cross the interests of progressive societies. Humans are fairly hardy even with primitive technology, but I think you'd have to observe them for far longer to judge their hardiness. I'd like to see how an Amish society copes with an outbreak of smallpox, for example, without falling back on the advanced medicine of it's host country. Or how it survives nuclear winter (or any other radical climate change). Or how they survive the inflation of the sun.

It's true that there will probably be many "human purist" groups forming, and they will persist for a while. 100, 300 years maybe. Eventually they'll probably be reduced to digital DNA codes that will be stored as a reference and backup by their post-human successors.
Last edited by Odlov; Jan 13, 2011 at 04:53 AM.
See, I don't see how you can put a lifespan on primitivist groups.

The Amish were founded what, 300 years ago? So they have already survived for 300 years, and yet you expect that human purists will only survive 100-300 years?

You forget that primitivists are also protected by their isolation. The Amish populations were not decimated by swine flu, or bird flu, or whatever else. In fact, they are one of the fastest growing populations in the world.

Other populations, such as New Guinea highlanders are also isolated, so are spared modern disease, and can live as they have for thousands of years.

Perhaps if modern disease is introduced in to one of these secluded primtivisit cultures there will be problems, well, probably. However that seems to me to be a bit of a moot argument, since preventing modernism is what primitivism is all about.

My prediction is that primitive cultures will continue to exist indefinitely.
The Amish were founded what, 300 years ago? So they have already survived for 300 years, and yet you expect that human purists will only survive 100-300 years?

The environment these upcoming "human purists" will be living in will be radically different from where these Amish have survived in so far.

Think of the competition in the long run.
How will these human purists pay for land? Offer services which plenty of augmented transhumans can do far better and faster? The Amish people where I live sell honey, dairy products, vegetables, as well as furniture they make. So far, their dedication and skill has been enough to compete well with what's "out there". Chances are it won't stay this way, though.

You forget that primitivists are also protected by their isolation. The Amish populations were not decimated by swine flu, or bird flu, or whatever else. In fact, they are one of the fastest growing populations in the world.

Only a matter of time. Another 14th century Europe. Another bubonic plague.

Other populations, such as New Guinea highlanders are also isolated, so are spared modern disease, and can live as they have for thousands of years.

Yeah, that has sufficed for them thus far. Just wait til the Martians invade ;)

Perhaps if modern disease is introduced in to one of these secluded primtivisit cultures there will be problems, well, probably. However that seems to me to be a bit of a moot argument, since preventing modernism is what primitivism is all about.

Modern disease? Smallpox is as deadly today as it was hundreds of years ago, it's just that we are able to prevent outbreaks through surveillance and ring vaccination. Any disease which is carried to an isolated community from far away has the potential to wipe them off completely. See: Native Americans. Their only defense against it will be prayer and perhaps some herbal medicine, but chances are that won't suffice. Many billions of people have died from diseases before we had modern travel or any technology worth the name. Perhaps precisely because of that.

My prediction is that primitive cultures will continue to exist indefinitely.

Place your money where your mouth is!

PS: are we in agreement that technology can offer a valuable shield for species or not?
Last edited by Odlov; Jan 13, 2011 at 05:49 AM.
300 years is nothing really. Moreover, I the environment these upcoming "human purists" will be living in will be radically different from where these Amish have survived in so far.

Well consider that human purists will have radically different technology to the Amish. Remember that they will still have computers, robot servants, etc. They just won't have 100 arms and be able to shoot lazers out of their eyes (which is what we all want to aspire to right?)

Think of the competition in the long run.
How will these human purists pay for land? Offer services which plenty of augmented transhumans can do far better and faster? The Amish people where I live sell honey, dairy products, vegetables, as well as furniture they make. So far, their dedication and skill has been enough to compete well with what's "out there".

If we have learnt anything from our modern civilization, it is that people yearn for the good ol' days. Organic food and old style things are still in great demand (if not more so than back in the day).

I love honey, honey is awesome.

Only a matter of time. Another 14th century Europe. Another bubonic plague.

I don't remember the bubonic plague wiping out any primitivist/isolted societies. Actually I remember some societies surviving because they are isolated... Also I remember no cultures being wiped out, so isn't that a moot point? Unless you can show that it wiped out a culture that was no advanced enough to combat it ;)

Yeah, that has sufficed for them thus far. Just wait til the Martians invade ;)

Friggin Martians. This is why we can't have nice things.

Modern disease? Smallpox is as deadly today as it was hundreds of years ago, it's just that we are able to prevent outbreaks through surveillance and ring vaccination. Any disease which is carried to an isolated community from far away has the potential to wipe them off completely. See: Native Americans. Their only defense against it will be prayer and perhaps some herbal medicine, but chances are that won't suffice. Many billions of people have died from diseases before we had modern travel or any technology worth the name. Perhaps precisely because of that.

By modern I mean, widespread, and all those new-fangle modern super bugs.

Also, Native Americans were not completely wiped out, moot +1?

How dipolomatic of you to say "chances are [prayer and herbal medicine] won't suffice." ;)

Place your money where your mouth is!

I BET ALL MY TC

PS: are we in agreement that technology can offer a valuable shield for species or not?

Technology is the shit man, love that stuff!
Well consider that human purists will have radically different technology to the Amish. Remember that they will still have computers, robot servants, etc. They just won't have 100 arms and be able to shoot lazers out of their eyes (which is what we all want to aspire to right?)

Nah, won't cut it. Transhumans will be 100000x smarter and don't afraid of anything.

If we have learnt anything from our modern civilization, it is that people yearn for the good ol' days. Organic food and old style things are still in great demand (if not more so than back in the day).

Who says transhumans will even have a demand for organic food? Maybe they'll eat electricity and virtual burgers.
And if they do, who says they won't be able to buy much better and cheaper organic food in supermarkets? Also, fricken nanotomatoes made of pure deliciousness. I also fear Amish furniture won't make it far into a market where chairs and tables can change shape to satisfy owner's whims.

I love honey, honey is awesome.

Too bad bees are going extinct. Hopefully we'll make transbees who will be immortal.

I don't remember the bubonic plague wiping out any primitivist/isolted societies. Actually I remember some societies surviving because they are isolated... Also I remember no cultures being wiped out, so isn't that a moot point? Unless you can show that it wiped out a culture that was no advanced enough to combat it ;)

No difference. Close to being wiped out is good enough to show how frail people are before some bacteria (without technology, that is). Suppose a timely volcano erupted to finish the buggers off for good.

Also, Native Americans were not completely wiped out, moot +1?

Well, if you insist on Native Americans all being 'one community'.

How dipolomatic of you to say "chances are [prayer and herbal medicine] won't suffice." ;)

Well, you know. When gods are punishing you, there ain't much you can do.

I BET ALL MY TC

kk
Nah, won't cut it. Transhumans will be 100000x smarter and don't afraid of anything.

Yeah, but the purists have EMPs.

Who says transhumans will even have a demand for organic food? Maybe they'll eat electricity and virtual burgers.
And if they do, who says they won't be able to buy much better and cheaper organic food in supermarkets? Also, fricken nanotomatoes made of pure deliciousness. I also fear Amish furniture won't make it far into a market where chairs and tables can change shape to satisfy owner's whims.

To draw some parallels;
- People thought cars would be the end of walking
- TV would kill radio
- Mass produced products would kill the need for the hand crafted
- Nuclear energy would create power too cheap and abundant to meter

I don't think you can say "primitivist cultures will have nothing to offer!".

At the very least, they would be a nice place to holiday

Too bad bees are going extinct. Hopefully we'll make transbees who will be immortal.

I am sure their populations are just fine in Amish communities, where there is less pollution and the grass is still green and all that.

No difference. Close to being wiped out is good enough to show how frail people are before some bacteria (without technology, that is). Suppose a timely volcano erupted to finish the buggers off for good.

There is quite a big difference.

Show me an example of an isolated population using less advanced tech being completely wiped out by a natural cause that could be prevented/contained by modern tech, Pompeii does not count (because it was not really an isolated community, even modern technology ain't so great vs a volcano).
I'm no historian, but I'm certain hundreds of human communities have perished due to natural causes (especially in prehistoric times).
Suffice it to say it's entirely plausible in principle. Being isolated doesn't grant you magic protection from natural disasters, I'm afraid.
Last edited by Odlov; Jan 13, 2011 at 06:54 AM.