Toribash
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Original Post
What should schools be teaching?
This may or may not have already been covered in a different thread, but I couldn't find said thread.
From what I've been hearing recently (and from a while back) there seems to a bit of a consensus among students that the topics that are covered in school aren't something that they should actually be learning. This often covers mathematics and science, with most of them claiming that advanced mathematics and scientific theories teach them nothing that they will use in their lifetime.

There also seems to be an agreement that countries should begin to make a required curriculum to teach classes that will show them how to live in the real world. This usually extends to things such as raising a child and paying taxes (there is also an argument that they should teach students how the stock market works and how they can participate in it).

What seemed to really spark this idea was a song written by a youtuber who's channel name is aboyinaband. The song is titled "Don't Stay in School" (The title of the song refers to the idea that topics that aren't practical shouldn't stay in school, not the actual students). I will not bother to post a YouTube link to the song, but if you are curious you can simply search it up on YouTube. But I will provide the lyrics below.

Song Lyrics

Now. Here is the debate. Is what people are saying true? Are subjects such as Advanced Mathematics and Science practical for use in the real world? Should it become a required curriculum to learn how pay taxes and live in the "Real World"? Discuss.
Note: I did not provide any sources for discussion due to the fact that most of the sources I found were incredibly bias or not credible.
Valterain1 was defeated by hermaphrodite on Oct 17, 2015.