ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
almost everyday pixel art
hi buddies, nice to meet ya once again
I'm helping some friends to make an original game, while we brace ourselves as an indie team. I want one of the games to be in pixel art style, and although we could hire some skilled pixel artist, I'd love to make it by myself, even knowing it'll be very hard to pull it off. I have very little experience in pixel art, but I'm trying to use all my art fundamentals skills to make the learning process a bit faster.
software used: asesprite

here's the first:

day one (02/04/201

day two (02/06/201

day 3 (02/09/201

day 4 (02/11/201

day 5 (02/11/201

day 6 (02/23/201

last day before I died
Last edited by cappuccino; Mar 30, 2018 at 11:41 PM. Reason: thanks! now ill have the honor to activate it again~~
nice ones cappuccino,
I like your animation style and follow through.

About the walking cycle you have, I like the detail of the hair moving and the "flow" of the animation, My only pointer is that when you walk you turn your torso a bit to the sides on the opposite direction of the legs, you can fake it moving the arm layer a bit to the front (if you made it in layers).
It is not a critique, just a thing to think about, I think you made well, I can enjoy watching the animation entirely.

about metal material, You can have it studying materials in pixel art, normally metal has reflection (colors of the environment in the material), refraction (A darker tone, mostly seen in chrome) and specularity (highlights of white in the material). You can achieve good results with anti-alias where it is needed (if fits the style), and gradients.

google walt disney 12 principles of animation, it will be a good source of study,
It works with all kinds of animations, even pixel art.
Last edited by dengue; Feb 7, 2018 at 01:54 AM.
Originally Posted by dengue View Post
nice ones cappuccino,
I like your animation style and follow through.

thank you!

when you walk you turn your torso a bit to the sides on the opposite direction of the legs, you can fake it moving the arm layer a bit to the front (if you made it in layers).

I tried to fake it by tilting just the face, instead of moving the entire torso roughly. Seems like it didn't work as expected, but thanks for the tip, I'll try it the next time I animate any walk/run cycle.

about metal material, You can have it studying materials in pixel art, normally metal has reflection (colors of the environment in the material), refraction (A darker tone, mostly seen in chrome) and specularity (highlights of white in the material). You can achieve good results with anti-alias where it is needed (if fits the style), and gradients.

I was just not sure how to achieve this effect with so few pixels. Looking at some materials studies will certainly help me.

google walt disney 12 principles of animation, it will be a good source of study,
It works with all kinds of animations, even pixel art.

Thanks for that! I didn't know about it. My attention to both animation and static pixel artworks will be balanced, so this way I can learn both consistently, a necessary achievement for developing game assets.

A few characters sprites may spawn while I progress, but expect some attempts at background pixeling soon.
-----
wip
Last edited by cappuccino; Feb 8, 2018 at 12:33 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
pretty awesome my dude! i mean this is much better than most of the art you can find on greenlight indie games already!
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
thanks! Although they may seem quite nice, I'm still a beginner to this art. I have to master its main principle: control. Limitation, either size or color wise, is a way to provide few variables to work with. This way I have to think more on design/control than other kinds of art, and thus mastering control over my pixels. It's a really gentle and fragile kind of art.

My next sprites are gonna have very low resolution and maybe colors too (I'm thinking on working with 1-bit), as well as animations when I feel like doing them. With less space and colors available I'm forcing myself to think in the best way to use them, covering another principle which is readability. Here's the first batch of sprites:

day 4 (02/11/201

Awesome stuff, snake is right you should do stuff for indie games

also if you wrap [noparse][/noparse] around the 8) it doesn't show the smiley
[21:55] Icky: How the fuck can i make witty lines about blossoms without going full weeb