Ranking
Original Post
[Ideas & Disscusion] TB Wushu Masters - Forum game
Idea:

Make a forum RPG game set in the world of ToriWorld in which TB users who have transformed into forum fags would interact with each-others on forum in some kind of a game that uses rules similar to AD&D and Trading Cards Games, and had to (at least once a day) enter TB and play one or two matches for purpose of collecting 'virtual dice' data.

Game features:

Map - One large (interactive and update-able) map that presents one part of ToriWorld, with villages, cities and places of interest marked on it. Map would be used to present positions of players as they travel on it. Travel would be resolved in real time (1 day of a game = 24 (+/-) of real time), so if someone would post on forum ''I go to Tori City'', depending how far from his destination, it would take him few days of real time to get there. On the way to his destination some random encounters with NPC characters could happen (bandits, animals, monsters, etc..) which is resolved by 'virtual dice'.

Character building - Using pre-set number of points players would have to 'build' their character adding those points to their characteristics and perks. Due to a large list of things they can spend points on, every player would have totally unique character. Card with his image and abilities would been made and set in /spoiler/ bracket to be upgraded every time when that player would 'level up' and gain some new ability

Martial Arts and Battles - Since game is about wushu masters that go through ToriWorld and do quests (good or bad), tournaments, teach martial arts and learn new styles in dojos, and fight each-other or NPCs, these fights would be resolved by two things:

- Trading Card Fighting game (made by me)
- virtual dice (that use data from TB matches, also made by me)

Every Player would starts with basic set of moves (card deck) and build his 'knowledge' (getting new cards for his deck) by training in dojos, fighting with other players or NPCs or doing quests.

Depending on points that player have spent on his character's abilities, his moves (card deck) would be also unique (same attacking move that is presented with card would have more speed for one player, but for other more impact and damage, etc)

Training & New Cards - to get new cards for their 'fighting decks' players would have to earn them:

through training - going in some dojo on the map that represents some wushu style and stay there for real amount of time (it would be like: for this card {special attack of Tiger Style} you have to train 12 days of real time, when 12 days would pass, you get new move {card} for your deck)

through fighting - battles with other players or NPCs would grant you (randomly) some new cards of different wushu styles (only for victories you would get cards)

through doing quests - depending on the quest (easy, normal or hard) player would be awarded (if he finish the quest) with new cards, skills or abilities.

Injuries and Death - Body of a player would be prone to injuries and death. Depending on injure his healing would take few days or weeks of real time during he would be 'out of the game'. Death of a character would be just like real death - permanent! Crippled players would be 'retired', alive but also out of the game.

End Game
- Game would end after 6 months of real time, where first three players who achieved most victories in battles, had most cards and biggest level would be awarded by large amount of TC.

Since it is a forum game, everything would be done through posts, card battles also, with use of PMs for dealing cards and 'virtual dice' for deducting efficiency of the card battles (and for resolving some encounters on the map). Players would only have to go in game to play one or two matches in any official room and post replay. Most of the other conducts would be done simply by 'reading-posting' method.

Game Master is me.

Things to resolve and discuss:

1. Which wushu styles to have in this game? There should be seven (7) of them and each should have 10 cards. These 10 cards must be dived to: attack, counter-attack and grab.

2. What kind of NPCs you would like to meet in game? Monsters? Animals? What kind of thugs, bandits, ninjas? Game bosses?

3. Should game have mounts and fast travel option (carriages, horses, flying things)?

4. Would you play this game? [Very important question]

5. Would you be willing to help in building this game?
Last edited by 8OJ4N; May 24, 2013 at 12:51 AM.
Whew, bojan being positive again!
1- drunken, tiger, crane, wing-chun, snake style etc...
2- pirates!
3- as long as it is reasonable why not!
4-yes sure
5-ya
-----
Btw, we are trying to host a fl0w room from now, if you know any bots or can host at any times please post there..who knows, we can use the room for events too. i pinged yesterday or the server restarted so hopefully their would be some script to allow me to directly reconnect :O
Last edited by William; May 24, 2013 at 01:06 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Your messed up world enthrills me
Eh, not really positive, I just have stuff laying around and two options: use it or burn it.

I'll rather use it if it's possible.

So:

Drunken Monkey
Tiger
Crane
Snake

those 4 styles are for sure in.

I need three more. You have better knowledge, tell me.
What about Hung? Since it is OUR game and flow dojo will be on map with two NPC characters (wushu-teachers/bosses): Naira (probably Wing-Chun style teacher) and FL-0W, our robot wushu-teacher (I was thinking he would teach either Tiger or Hung)
-----
Anyone else want to be assistant of Game Master? :} Only negative thing that comes with that position: YOU CAN"T PLAY THE GAME.
Only manage things on map and make quests.
Last edited by 8OJ4N; May 24, 2013 at 02:17 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
4) Lets be honest; most probably not.

On a side-note, it would be better to end "some" of the games up in the air...
Now doing recoloring for people not in the clan as-well, PM for more info!
PROUD OWNER OF THORN'S GOOD ENOUGH WRITER AWARD!
I never know when I'm active/inactive so I don't like to tell in advance if I would play (or help) ! But If I'm around I sure would ;p

I wana b wing-chun mastur ! (I can help you make the cards for wing chun, since I'm a practitionner n shit)
Originally Posted by Smogard49 View Post
4) Lets be honest; most probably not.

On a side-note, it would be better to end "some" of the games up in the air...

Elaborate, idk what you mean...

Originally Posted by deprav View Post
I never know when I'm active/inactive so I don't like to tell in advance if I would play (or help) ! But If I'm around I sure would ;p

I wana b wing-chun mastur ! (I can help you make the cards for wing chun, since I'm a practitionner n shit)

So you know some poses and shit? :} How would you describe that style? More counter-attack based?
Originally Posted by 8OJ4N View Post
Eh, not really positive, I just have stuff laying around and two options: use it or burn it.

I'll rather use it if it's possible.

So:

Drunken Monkey
Tiger
Crane
Snake

those 4 styles are for sure in.

I need three more. You have better knowledge, tell me.
What about Hung? Since it is OUR game and flow dojo will be on map with two NPC characters (wushu-teachers/bosses): Naira (probably Wing-Chun style teacher) and FL-0W, our robot wushu-teacher (I was thinking he would teach either Tiger or Hung)
-----
Anyone else want to be assistant of Game Master? :} Only negative thing that comes with that position: YOU CAN"T PLAY THE GAME.
Only manage things on map and make quests.

Hung-gar bojan. do you want a description about the styles?
3 more can be:
dragon style
monkey style
leopard style

I want to play the game!Sorry
Your messed up world enthrills me
It would be possible for a player to (during that period of 6 months) fully learn 2 and a half martial art styles, forming a mixed knowledge that would be (together with some rare and unique cards) always different in some way, when compared with martial styles of other players.

In 6 months, players that would just linger in dojos would learn these 2 styles with simple progress of time, while those who would dare to travel, do quests, go on tourneys and fight other players and game bosses, would progress much faster and had much bigger variety of moves (cards).

So, 'playing safe' would be possible... BUT, only with great risks there would be better gains.
Fact that your character can die or be crippled in some fight will probably scare some players, but who dares - wins! :]

It will be possible to make a party (up to 3 players) and play harder quests together.
Like attacking together some game boss. Game bosses will have their unique decks of moves (depending of their level), always with better cards than players. For reward of beating them players will have opportunity to gain 1-3 cards from their decks, thus learning their moves and making their decks more powerful and unique.

Since it is possible to target specific parts of the body (prior to successful attack), depending of the card used (power) it would be possible to:

-sprain muscles
-make open wounds (bleeding)
-brake bones
-inflict internal bleeding
-shatter organs (same as internal bleeding but makes victim unconscious momentarily, and later dead)
-kill instantly

First four states are heal-able, last two are not.

You became permanently crippled if the same part of your body suffers too much damage (like: leg that was broken more than 5 times is now crippled leg, you will never practice martial arts after that).
-----
I can now explain game mechanics if you are interested?
Last edited by 8OJ4N; May 24, 2013 at 07:00 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
So you know some poses and shit? :} How would you describe that style? More counter-attack based?

Yep I know dem poses and shit ^^

How I would describe it, hmmmm. It's a very close range style, very few kicks, rarely above the hips, a lot of counter-attacks yes. Mainly you learn to block and attack at the same time, take your adversary's balance and protect your center line.

It's a synthesis of different other martial arts, it removes the "useless" fancy moves and aim to go straight to the point with a "minimum efforts". Which is a relative concept since you still need to put some efforts in a fight if you don't wanna get crushed ^^ But mainly straight to the point to save your strenght/energy and end the fight quickly.

It's an internal/exeternal system, means there's a big part of the system based on breath and control : relaxing shoulder, keeping a low center of gravity, using your body energy mainly in your hands etc...

I'll try to find a couple of nice vids/pics you can base your cards on ^^
Thank you deprav, that would be helpful.
-----
How would you resolve grab in martial arts fight? Which benefits grab would have in a fight?

When you grab someone, naturally you have better option to hurt or subdue him. So grab card would work as an opener to do more potential damage to player. If player has no counter for grab, the moment he is grabbed, his guard would fall and he would be vulnerable to suffer some kick(s) or punch(es) that would probably injure him.

On the same time, if you try to grab someone and he successfully evade it, you would be vulnerable and without proper guard. Then you would provide an opener for your opponent to kick or punch you going straight to your vulnerable spots.

What are your thought on this?
-----
Lets talk about Hung Gar Kuen style. It will be in game, and based on what I've read about it, cards presenting moves of that style will have these characteristics:

good:

- precision (you will hit targeted spots on opponent body more easily)
- power (your attacks will do much damage)
- endurance (your blocks will reduce much of opponents damage he is doing to you)

bad:

- lack of speed (you will be prone for counter-attacks)
- no adaptability (since it is pure stance martial art, it will be harder for you to block moves (cards) that are outside of wushu canons [moves that player have learned from bosses NPCs])
- No grabs (that style won't have any grab card, thus you are limited only to attacks and counter-attacks)

Please, discuss about this. I want to hear your ideas, because this will be first set of 10 cards I will make, to honor our beginnings in Hung.

-----

This is just a preview of Player Character Card. It is still in beta. ;] Quick example.
But, as you can see, players would have option to spend 19 points on characteristics which have influence on cards they use.
For instance:
Good speed will add bonus to: dodge and counter-attack, in that way that dodge would be more successful ( dodge can fail! ) and counter-attack would be more successful and with better damage inflicted.

There are also 3 perks every player can choose from perk list (it is planned to have 30 of them!), so you can focus your character to have some advantages in certain situations...

And you can choose one ability that can be activated once per turn, and has impact on Trading Card Game resolve. (it deals with cards only)
It is planned to have 15 abilities to choose from.
Last edited by 8OJ4N; May 25, 2013 at 05:37 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump