Toribash
Original Post
Pate5's great all-around texturing tutorial (repost)
Introduction
People have been asking me for a tutorial or lessons at texturing for ages. I finally decided to do something about it. So here it comes, Pate5's all-around texturing tutorial!
When reading, remember that texturing is actually doing art. It has some decent rules, but it's still art. There are no strict rules when doing art, so you don't have to stick to this tutorial. Everyone has his or her very own way to draw or paint.
Of course, it will take a lot of work to became good. If your first pieces don't look good, don't think you are not talented enough. Everyone can do art. It just takes some time. Play with different styles. Do more textures. Post them in the forums, and ask for feedback. Then draw more. And more. You can also try to apply to GATA, Global Aspired Texturers and Artists at Toribash forums. It's full of capable artists who want to help you. There is also an organization called TAS, toribash art school. You can try to apply there if you think you need help.
Just remember: Draw more, ask for feedback, and experiment. That's all. I hope this improves the overall quality of textures in the art board.

About software
Many people also usually ask which program I am using. I'm currently using Photoshop Elements, a lighter version of Photoshop. You don't need it. Basicially every program has the same basic features. That includes Photoshop CS and GIMP. Of course, GIMP has a different interface, and different names for tools. But I have used it, so I know it has all the needed features. I assume you know how to use your program, so please don't ask me for help. You can google better tutorials using GIMP and photoshop. Software does not make the art. You'll have to do it.

Part 1: Image size, the sketch and mapping

Image size
Toribash has three different sizes for textures: 128x128, 256x256 and 512x512. Of course, 512x512 is the "best" size, because it is 16 times bigger than 128x128. Because 128x128 is the cheapest size, it's mostly used. But it's really too small for proper texturing, and textures done at 128x128 tend to be blurry. If you want to do 128x128, do it first 256x256, and then scale it. You should never work with smaller resolution than that. Also, if you want 256x256 textures, you should work with 512x512 canvas to keep the details sharp. 512x512 is also used to make the same sized textures. If you take bigger canvas, the details will become too sharp when looked at ingame.
The final size doesn't matter very much. But be sure that you work with 256x256 or 512x512 canvas.

The sketch
When you do textures, you turn something from your imagination to reality. But it's usually hard or very hard to just start doing it. It's easier to some people, and harder to some. I personally can't do anything without sketching it before. Sketch helps; it may be the most important part of the texture, even though it will not be visible in the final work. Your work needs a solid base. Even though the rendering is good, the piece doesn't look good if the design is ugly.
The design is sometimes the hardest part. I don't have any guidelines to it, just draw until it looks good. And remember to see how it looks ingame. Something that looks good on flat, won't automatically look good ingame. But just try and try until it looks good. When you have completed this part, you can roughly see, what it will be. You can do the sketchin in many ways. I usually just take brush tool and start drawing black outlines over white background. You don't have to make smallest details in this stage, just the main shapes.

Mapping

Because tori's bodyparts are not flat like the texture, you'll have to map it. Usually the hardest part is the head, of course because it's sphere. And a square can't be placed over a sphere without stretching it. It's good to take a canvas twice wider than higher, because then it will stretch less. Example of the sizes below. I usually start with a 512x256 canvas, and it can be scaled to either 256x256 or 512x512. Many people draw the texture straght to a square, but I see no mind in that. Some people are afraid of quality loss when resized, but I have learned that the loss is really minimal.

Another issue on the mapping is the top part. The texture will stretch towards the top, so the texturer has to bend the features. Example below.

Just remember to see how it looks ingame!

Part 2: Choosing colours and painting the main features

Choosing the colours

Now you should have your sketch done. Next step is to choose the colours to paint the texture with. The texture is going to show up on a toribash character, so you'll have to remember that when choosing colours. I usually use main color and secondary color when doing toribash textures. The force color of the tori is the main color, because joints showing it are bigger. The secondary color is usually the relax color.
There are many ways to choose the colours. One way is to choose some force colour, and take a relax color similar to it but a little darker, for example vampire force and shaman relax. The outcome will be brigt, saturated red. Another way is to choose low-saturated force color (usually grey) and high-saturated relax color. If the force color is dark, choose bright relax color. For example, demon force and radioactive relax. If you do so, you should use only a little the radioactive color to make a great contrast with the main colour.
So, if you want singe-coloured character, take two colors that are nearly the same.
If you want single colour, but some splashes of other colour, make them differ much. If the main colour is dark, make the secondary one bright. If the main colour is saturated, make the secondary non-saturated. If the main colour is cold, make the secondary colour warm.
Of course, you can just choose two different colours. But I suggest always using the force colour more.

Painting the main features

Along with the sketch, this part REALLY makes the texture. Also, most time is spent to do this part. And most practice is needed to master this part. And there are so much ways to do this part.
You don't have to follow the sketch accurately if you think you are doing better. But here's how to do it basicially:
Block in the base colours. Do the shading and highlighting. That's it. Sounds easier than it is. There are thousands and thousands way to do it. I'll show one of my ways to do it in the video.

About the video tutorial
On the following video tutorial, I'll show you how I do a robotic head texture. It isn't the only possible way, that's only the way I do it. You can play with your own techniques and try them together with mine. Experimenting is the way you can find your own style.
Also, the video should be only a guideline. Do not copy the design. It's not there to be copied. It's there to help you.
As you will notice, I'm using a tablet in the video. That makes the process easier, but it may be achieved also without it. I'll give you some basic tips. When I set pressure to opacity, that means that lighter touch will paint with lower opacity. That can be done without tablet by turning the opacity very low (5-25%) and painting multiple strokes. If I turn pressure to size, you should simply use smaller brush size to achieve the same effect. Experiment with different settings. And practice more. There's no secret about it, just practice more.

Part 3: Detailing and finalizing

Detailing
Detailing isn't as important as the main features. Detailing is more like polishing already done work. It's still important to make your textures detailed. Usually just they make the difference between good and bad textures.
What the details are? They are contrast. And contrast catches viewer's eye. So if you want some area "pop", just make that area detailed. If some areas aren't important, then don't add so much details there. Of course, it isn't a strict rule; there are also other ways to make some area catch viewer's eye, such as colors. But details are one way. So think it when painting your details.
There are many and many ways to paint details. I mostly do them same way than the main features. The difference is that they are smaller. I usually also add greater contrast to them, so they don't blend on their background. Adding contrast can be done afterwards, unsharp mask filter and levels are great for that. When trying shine effects or such, play with different brush and layer blending modes. That usually gives you more interesting results.
What you'll have to remember, paint details in different layer than the base. Really. That helps so much if you want to adjust the details or delete some of them.
Follow these if you want, it's not the only way.

Finalizing

This isn't really a job. Just flatten and resize the head. You could want to add some filters or sharpen it or play with the levels. That doesn't make a big difference. Still, it can improve the texture slightly. So play with it again.
I often add an overlay layer over the texture to improve the lightning. Just paint a black-white gradient over the texture and switch the layer's blending mode to overlay. I usually have to decrease the overlay layer's opacity.

About the video tutorial

Read what I said in the last part. This is basicly same stuff as there.

Special thanks

I want to thank everyone who has commented on my tutorial and everyone who has helped me on my way to better texturer.
I want also thank AlphasoniK, DarkJak and Nightmare.

And huge thanks to whole community I hope this helps you and improves the quality of art in the art board.
-----
Reposted this because we lost it in the forum hax(?)
Last edited by WorldEater; Nov 2, 2017 at 07:00 AM.
Texturing tutorial
No requests please
Amazing tutorial... anybody else feel this should be stickied?

It was the first mapping technique (doubling the width) that got me back into texturing recently thanks for making this, and being around to re-post it
pate

Never, but never ever, tell a mod what to do, you could get banned
~Koz
Last edited by Koz; May 1, 2011 at 05:27 PM.