Toribash
Original Post
How to make a madman!
HOW TO MAKE A MADMAN!

TIPS: As reference to below tutorial
1: Don’t give up, keep trying until you get it
2: head dismembers generally come later in the replay, although starting with the head dismember is not looked down upon in any way.
3: You are not going to get it first try, single player is all about practice. Do it enough and you’ll get it.
4: THE EDIT BUTTON
yes people yes, the 'e' key is the most important button for madmans EVER. Nobody can do it first try!

Well, If your reading this right now, you probably want to know how to make a madman

BUT before you go and try, my steps, lets look at a description of a madman
for a minute…
(it’s a general description, added opinions and/or definitions are welcome)

madman: a player versus an unintelligent rag doll that does not move. In this match, the intelligent player will dismember at least 5 dismembers, although the more dismembers you do, the better.

The steps!!!

INTRO: First up you want to enter single player with an idea of what you want to do, rambling about and pressing random joints isn’t going to do you the trick, trust me..
For example #1(decap+split combo)<NOT A MADMAN: After watching toritastic, specifically the last scene inspired me to do something of the sort. In this replay I started with a very noobish move, but after I got uke into the air, I transferred to my own style. What I want you to do is watch this replay right now.

After you watched the replay and if you’re a noob you probably want to do what I did right away. BUT, first you must practice; it took me almost a month to get as good as I was.

1st Now, brainstorm on what you want to make this replay like!

You may not be able to get it exactly how you like because generally noobs stick with the simplest moves they can do. I want YOU, to try and move almost all of your joints in order to attain a decent punch or kick… For example, don’t just contract your right pec, rotate, your chest left, and extend your left pec, see how much more strength that has?

What I have just taught you is probably the most important feature in a madman….

In every single hit you want to put in as much strength as you possibly can, in doing that it will most definitely have an immediate increase in skill in replays.

2nd Getting started!

What I want you to do is make a move that dismembers some joint, any joint is fine.
Also, make it look nice, do not crawl all over uke to dismember a joint, make it almost like a first touch dismember, or a grab n’ rip dismember (to grab uke and rip his arm off or something of the sort).
Once you do this, save it. If it is following all the steps I have told you, your madman should be of decent quality.

Next, find a way to get another dismember. Depending on your position, you might have to turn the other way, or it could be as simple ad contracting your wrist. Every single situation is different so try all sorts of weird things.. Once you have the second dismember repeat that step again, get another. Don’t forget to save over your first replay with one dismember with the second replay with two, unless you desire to keep the first.

Wow! Two dismembers your almost there! Three to two more and you made it!

Do the above step two more times!
EDITING
Originally Posted by Aikanaro View Post
if you started doin some dismember, but than you failed with a kick or somethin, theres a good way to reedit the kick
1.press the r button after you failed the kick
-> the replay will nao run again
2.press the p button if you are some frames before the kick starts.
-> the replay will freeze
3. press shift + p to go frame by frame till you want to edit the kick again
4. press e and move better this time ;p

thx br0 ~pirate

TIPS FROM GREAT MADMAN MAKERS!

http://forum.toribash.com/showpost.p...71&postcount=3 splatter

http://forum.toribash.com/showpost.p...57&postcount=5 <vlad
http://forum.toribash.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=20 <vlad

http://forum.toribash.com/showpost.p...89&postcount=9 <shook

http://forum.toribash.com/showpost.p...7&postcount=18 <shlimmy

http://forum.toribash.com/showpost.p...3&postcount=27 <Linetori

http://forum.toribash.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=26 <Alexownz

http://forum.toribash.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=25 <bloodbath

Originally Posted by Elbo View Post
when you're in the game, press "B" then you see your ghost and uke's ghost, trust me, it's A LOT easier to aim kicks this way

10 REPLAYS(more included in links above)

replay: decap split combo is not a madman it is an example and skill and torque

replay: moar skillz is at the brink of a madman, many people would not consider it a madman.

replay: 00cool is definitely a madman. sorry for the long turnframes the madman stops at about 1600 frames the rest is dancing

replay: very quick madman(splatters). Has lots of different things that is good in it. He adds momentum on ass his punched and kicks...

replay: 41 meters high spin..NOT A MADMAN but an example of adding lots of momentum into your punches..an extremely good example...

replay: me likez. Indeed a madman, very flowing, not so much torque but this had very technical things involved with it, it took me a very long time to get each of the dismembers

FirstMadman: As the title says, my first end-result. Took about five or six edits to get everything right, as I kept losing the odd hand or arm here and there. There's a bit of a lull in the dismemberments in the middle, and I'm sure I could have torn apart the torso near the end, but when I get to the point where all that's left is tearing apart the pieces into even smaller pieces, I find I tend to lose patience with getting everything just right.

SystematicDismemberment: I love how this one turned out. I was just messing around, and noticed that I managed to cut Uke pretty cleanly in half, the sever an arm at the pec. At that point, I wanted to see if I could actually do something intentionally instead of just screwing around and hoping for the best. So, I set out to sever the other arm at the same point and then take apart everything that was left within my reach...

KickyMadmanFinal: Everything except for the very last dismemberment is done entirely with the legs/feet.

SDPartsEverywhere: Probably my favorite SP replay (of the ones I've done). There's quite a bit of carnage (Uke ends up in ten different pieces), but the neat thing is that I managed to do it in basically three individual "moves".

VLADS REPLAY COMMENTS ^^

Other replays + comments are included in the links under "tips from great madman makers"
Attached Files
decap+split combo.rpl (91.4 KB, 1122 views)
41 meters high spin.rpl (85.2 KB, 843 views)
SDPartsEverywhere.rpl (134.7 KB, 530 views)
FirstMadman.rpl (168.4 KB, 686 views)
KickyMadmanFinal.rpl (124.4 KB, 576 views)
SystematicDismemberment.rpl (134.9 KB, 594 views)
Last edited by WorldEater; Oct 28, 2017 at 09:13 AM.
I am glad someone made a thread about this. And Pirate one of my favorite things to do in multiplayer is start of with a double noob kick than jump into the air and decap
P.S Nice replays
[sigpic][/sigpic]
From a looong time ago:
[21:56]<Blam>ManBreakfast: Frunk wants to know why you banned him from IRC
[21:56]<ManBreakfast>oh, fuck
[21:56]=-=Mode #toribash -b Frunk!*Frankie'sip by ManBreakfast
Hmm..some tips

Good way to make cool madman is to make sure you know what you are doing, use low amount of turnframes ( i use 5 to make mine) GRABBY HANDS ARE YOUR FRIENDS grabby hand is smaller than fist and so it strikes the strenght to smaller area and makes it more likely to dismember.

Noobs:Move your joints ppl, experiment and have fun
Advanced:Try making madman from a distance and from good looking poses.
Everyone:if you want to use ukes parts to kill him, put self damage on

Attached an example of my madman
Attached Files
veryquickmadman.rpl (102.4 KB, 1167 views)
Last edited by splatter; Dec 13, 2007 at 05:54 PM.
added splatter, i also put in your replay and two more of mine... I'm gonna add some color to the tutorial to make it an easier read. thanks for the comments..
I've just started messing around with the whole idea of sitting down and trying to really make something impressive looking, but so far, your tutorial really echoes a lot of what I had to figure out myself .

There are a couple things that should be mentioned, though, just for the sake of completeness...

- You can hit shift-p to advance the game a single frame. Back in the pre-free days of Toribash, I always wondered how some of those replays looked so smooth, and it's because you're not limited to making moves every ten frames.

- You can fix your mistakes! If you accidentally put a bit too much stress on your character and happen to rip yourself in half instead of Uke, you can actually edit your replay so you don't have to go back and re-create all the stuff leading up to it. To start, either finish the match out and start the after-match replay or just hit R to automatically play a replay of the current match. Once you get to the point where you want to fix things, pause the replay with P (again, you can move the replay one frame at a time with shift-P). Then, once you're at the frame that you want to change, hit E. This will allow you to "step in" at that exact frame and start playing the match from that point on.

Now, I'm assuming that editing replays isn't "looked down upon" by the more long-term madman creators. I had always figured that that's what people were doing, or maybe it's just that I wanted to preserve some of my own self-esteem by convincing myself that people just weren't doing some of that insane stuff on the first try.

And just because I've got nowhere else to put them, I'll put up a few of the things I've come up with (especially if five dismemberments is the minimum needed ):

FirstMadman: As the title says, my first end-result. Took about five or six edits to get everything right, as I kept losing the odd hand or arm here and there. There's a bit of a lull in the dismemberments in the middle, and I'm sure I could have torn apart the torso near the end, but when I get to the point where all that's left is tearing apart the pieces into even smaller pieces, I find I tend to lose patience with getting everything just right.

SecondMadman: I don't quite like this one as much as the first one, as it's not nearly as chaotic, and I know it's possible that I could have done more damage. However, for some reason I love the opening move.

SystematicDismemberment: I love how this one turned out. I was just messing around, and noticed that I managed to cut Uke pretty cleanly in half, the sever an arm at the pec. At that point, I wanted to see if I could actually do something intentionally instead of just screwing around and hoping for the best. So, I set out to sever the other arm at the same point and then take apart everything that was left within my reach...

KickyMadmanFinal: Everything except for the very last dismemberment is done entirely with the legs/feet.

SDPartsEverywhere: Probably my favorite SP replay (of the ones I've done). There's quite a bit of carnage (Uke ends up in ten different pieces), but the neat thing is that I managed to do it in basically three individual "moves".
Attached Files
FirstMadman.rpl (168.4 KB, 376 views)
SecondMadman.rpl (168.8 KB, 226 views)
SystematicDismemberment.rpl (134.9 KB, 242 views)
KickyMadmanFinal.rpl (124.4 KB, 231 views)
SDPartsEverywhere.rpl (134.7 KB, 319 views)
Vlad do you mind if i add all of that into mine?

what your doing is really what i'm looking for...
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Vlad do you mind if i add all of that into mine?

what your doing is really what i'm looking for...

Go right ahead
kthx... i will also be putting your replays and replay comments..

EDIT: i took out second madman because you specifically said you didn't like it as much as the other...and i put in SD because it was your favorite.. hope thats not a problem..
Last edited by Pirate_old; Dec 13, 2007 at 07:57 PM.
Nice tutorial, should help newcomers get madmaning ^_^

Anyways, if possible, use Ukes weight to gain even more momentum, so your
strikes might dismember more than one joint each. Not only does it look cool,
it also quickly adds up to the amount of dismembers.
You can also use the ground, and if done correctly, you'll gain tremendous amounts
of momentum. Just be sure to direct it at Uke!
Grabby hands are also very useful, because when it hits a joint, it transfers all
of it's momentum to the joint instantly, resulting in a more damaging, and possibly
dismembering blow. However, it's pretty hard to dismember more than one joint
at a time with a grabby hand, so you should only use it when a normal fist
won't do, and for swinging Uke into your other limbs.

Now for a few examples...

Shook_ExtremeMadman: A nice example of many dismembers, and the usefulness
of grabby hands.

Impaler Kick: An example of immense momentum, directed at a jointy area...
Not a madman!

Stairrunner Destruction: Example of ground use, and multi-dismember blows.
Attached Files
Shook_ExtremeMadman.rpl (259.5 KB, 488 views)
Impaler kick.rpl (57.9 KB, 389 views)
Stairrunner destruction.rpl (196.7 KB, 340 views)
<Blam|Homework> oiubt veubg
various places to find me lol
a little sumthin i made
Attached Files
0_madman2.rpl (123.1 KB, 195 views)
Last edited by blafnigem; Dec 14, 2007 at 12:35 AM.