Toribash
well.. my quote is so true for me. I will never finish if I tried to paint like most of the people do where you finish one portion of the head at a time and then work on the next. because how do you know that one part will just suck and ruin the whole head? I have to get all my colors on there and just spam things in order to see what pops out and gives me ideas especially once i get to the back and sides of a head. If I had to do lineart on a whole head first with out a reference i don't think i could.

This is something I saw hades doing when he showed me some stuff where he would work so long on one area the rest is just blank or you get tired of it and it remains unfinished, also until recently benD would kind of do this, and some other still do this..

this method probably screws me on actually building a full head with a bunch of solid ideas because I go straight to colors and shapes.

I personally like the amount of expression you can get on your faces as well as the colors, teeth are cute too xD.
Are you creating your spheres with 1028x512 or resizing first? because it seems my smaller detail hair/eyebrows/eyes always get messed up from not having enough pixels.
Last edited by 13chillz; Apr 18, 2014 at 09:12 PM.
Ya, I know what you mean. I've always been so much more focused or I guess interested in painting the face first. Plus with these more human type things the back is boring as hell no matter how optimistic you are. I've also been trying not to take longer than an hour to finish one so I usually waste 3/4's of that on the face and eyes then rush some crap back and never speak of it or sell it.

But whatever, I just do these things to relax and have some fun. I can live with that lame excuse ; )

I make most of them in 1024x512, ya. It is really annoying to draw hair and eyes at such a pathetic resolution. But then you resize it to 512x512, put it on in-game, see how insanely blurry it all is, proceed to:

Yeah, struggling with getting a balance of planning and working now as well.
Usually I just do eyes and expand, did the full venomancer in line and now its boring as shit to work on...

Still dunno why you work in 1024x512, working in 512 is so simple, not sure I could work with real proportions after tb texturing for so long.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
Now imagine that you get bored and are supposed to be doing a full 512 joint set at head quality, 40 textures sucks and takes ages when your not feeling it. Ignoring all the mapping issues. Quality goes downhill FAST.

Even if im cheating at 30 min a texture which is low quality spam it's still going to take 20 hours.

>to everyone stalking this thread this is why i hate sets

and a quick experiment with lighting and a different hat.

x

woah just looked on my phone and this is way over saturated and looks burnt... someone describe the lighting and colors please :|

i have a chocolate face with a yellow glow with a slight tinge of orange.
Last edited by 13chillz; Apr 19, 2014 at 01:49 AM.
the flare and the reflection is amazing,
I still think You lighten area is not as light as it is supposed to be.
By the way, try different ways to get the texture of skin on the cheek, this one isnt working.
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
Still dunno why you work in 1024x512, working in 512 is so simple, not sure I could work with real proportions after tb texturing for so long.

It's a habit at this point. Plus I don't use them or sell many so why bother with the pain of 512.

Originally Posted by 13chillz View Post
and a quick experiment with lighting and a different hat.

x

woah just looked on my phone and this is way over saturated and looks burnt... someone describe the lighting and colors please :|

i have a chocolate face with a yellow glow with a slight tinge of orange.

Somebody better be writing you a fat check for a full set like that...
Also, I calibrate all of my monitors every few months and it doesn't look all that saturated. There's not much yellow though, it's mostly all orange, hint of yellow on the nose and the tip of the cigar.

Update on the last head I posted earlier:

Pic

Holy crap, it got really messed up after I uploaded it. It's much darker and more saturated... The hell is wrong with imgur?
It's monotonous and blurry looking either way. I think I'm trashing this thing.

Anyways, any of you guys ever up for working together on something? I always droned on about this in almost every post I ever made in the art section since it'd probably be fun and make things more interesting. But nobody has ever been up for it.
working together is sometimes weird. Sometimes its almost like one person is too scared to change something and then it ends up as a half scrambled egg because they don't want to erase what the other person just spent a half hour on. unless its agreed on what part each person is working on. And that by itself could be harder than trying to get gata to plan an event :|

your head seems like its pushed towards the front, especially the ears.

And the hat seems kinda ehhh. it makes 3 circles when viewed from the top.

Does that guy chew? looks like he has 2 dips in each bottom cheek.

Idk those were just thoughts besides the "ok looks good" thought.
I guess you do have a point. I personally wouldn't have any problem with someone scribbling all over my stuff, and I don't think I'd be do scared to do the same. So, you know, if you're offering *hint* *hint*

Anywho, I agree with what you said about the head, but you know how it goes, I don't have the motivation to go back in and change much now... (That's probably where having somebody else to work with would be handy)

Think I'm calling it "finished":

Pic

are you threatening me?

I think it would be fun to do the 10-20 min thing dengue was trying to get us to do awhile back. where you play with it for 10-20 min and then post the flat here. and the next person in GATA takes it. no layer saves, and the next person can do whatever they want with it. sort of like a messed up version of the telephone game.

or you could place a sketch and define a style or end result that you want to establish some sort of "rules" but I think the no rules version would be funner.

-

i tried to keep it loose because i didn't want to take all the ideas, lets try start one of these 5-10min

lets try this...

NOTE: if you don't play this game you are a wimp. it doesn't matter the skill level its about having fun :|
Last edited by 13chillz; Apr 20, 2014 at 06:43 AM.
Originally Posted by 13chillz View Post
are you threatening me?

NOTE: if you don't play this game you are a wimp. it doesn't matter the skill level its about having fun :|

Look who's talking, master of threats.

lets continue this...